myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 445/455/458
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wireless Chain Counter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wireless Chain Counter
    Posted: 10 January 2019 at 07:46
Has anyone installed a wireless anchor remote control with chain counter on a 455 ? Are there any recommendations regarding a particular unit , the installation wiring and it's positioning ?
charentebob View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charentebob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2019 at 08:02
Had one fitted to our 415. It is a Quick unit and is very efficient at dropping the anchor. The control unit is positioned on starboard side of the cockpit in front of the wheel along with Thruster control, autopilot key pad and data display.

As chain pyramids below the windlass and will block it when lifting the anchor it cannot be used then.

It is however extremely useful when laying chain as you know the water depth and exactly how much to drop.

Can’t tell you the wiring route as I didn’t fit it.

Nigel
S&J View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2019 at 09:40
I have the standard Quick windlass with plug in controller. The plug is positioned badly, just where you are likely to step when kicking the chain forwards on retrieval.
Inevitably I stepped on it and broke the pins. A replacement was available from SVB but I decided to install a wireless remote as well. Rather than get the expensive Quick unit I just got a 4WD winch controller from eBay for a few £.

I can't help with the chsin counter, but can confirm that adding the wireless controller was easy on my 385 which already had an access panel in the forward cabin. There is another thread somewhere with a pic of the installation.
H458 #159 Primal Mediterranean cruising
Richard M View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2019 at 23:05
I don't have chain counter on my H455. Instead I use plastic chain markers (example here: https://seamarknunn.com/acatalog/Osculati-Anchor-Chain-Markers-8mm---Pack-50-Assorted-Colours-EM0150108.html?gclid=CjwKCAiA99vhBRBnEiwAwpk-uLFzIy4Ev-dQxbPw2KeKA-6GFpUcBaMFdVfj9Jv6NCH-9k5yBOWyIxoCijIQAvD_BwE). 

I've used this system on previous boats without any problem. Occasionally a marker can come out but this is very rare - it has happened only twice to me. I have a colour code and have marked this up under the forward sail locker hatch - which is where I plug in my wired windlass controller. I have had wireless windlass remote controls in the past; in practice I would always operate these standing by the bow so there was little/no advantage over the wired control in terms of operator position.

I can though see the possible benefit of a wireless control if one is sailing single handed as this would allow use of the engine controls at the same time. But I'm nearly always "two up" or more.

Richard M

(S/Y BrightStar - H 455 #90; ex S/Y Providence - H 400e #290)
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2019 at 15:26
I am using the same markers with a table inside the lid. The yellow ball is m anchor buoy.
Frank
Nerthuz View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nerthuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2019 at 17:59
Hi
Yes, I have a wireless control unit with chain counter delivered from Hanse in 2015 when I picked up my boat.
I had to put in a new chain sensor last year. Apart from that, its been problem free and very helpful with 100 m chain lenght. I dont remember the name on the handheld device, but can come back with furter info if you are interested.
Johny View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2019 at 06:36
Hi Nerthuz
I would greatly appreciate if you could give me further details on the device. Where did Hanse install the receiver and how it was electrically connected ?  Do you have an electrical wiring diagram ?
Nerthuz View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nerthuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2019 at 15:47
It’s a device from MZ Electronic. But it’s a Quick windlass. I dont’t think Hanse have this combination today. But Check out the MZ home page, whete you can find mote information. Look at the EVO 40 produkt.
 Post Reply Post Reply