myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 320
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Modifying the 320 for racing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mystudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Modifying the 320 for racing
    Posted: 05 March 2019 at 10:44
One topic for all modifications on my Hanse 320. Sounds better to me than all seperate posts I did. 

So, I want to race with the 320. Therefore a lot of modifications are needed. Some I allready did, some I have to do. What I allready did since I bought the boat last year:

Remounted the hull windows
Mount a Raymarine E7 plotter
A Raymarine 200 EV autopilot with Jefa drive below deck
Mount an accumonitor
Replaced sikaflex below the rail with a grey one (white is getting dirt)

1/ Place a size 2 Lewmar mainsheet track in the cockpit. Better control of the mainsheet
3/ Switch the regular prop for a Flex o Fold folded prop
4/ Replace every line for dyneema. Especially the halyards and trimlines are so much better now
5/ Stand up bloks at the bottem of the mast, so if the line loosens the block will stay in place
6/ Change the Simrad IS 20 meters for better B&G Triton meters. Better visibility from the wheel, more information on wind
7/ Removed the service accu's (2) from port side to starboard side. This way the boat is better in balance

What has to be done:

8/ Ordered a High Aspect (around 106%) instead of the self tacking jib. It will be a membrane. Let's see what it does with speed :-)
9/ Search for genoacars, the new HA will be on the mounted genoatracks
10/ Lot's of new blocks for inf**kes, barberhaulers etc. 
11/ Mount a rail on the mast for a spinnaker pole eye
12/ Order a carbonfiber spinnakerpole, Lenght 395 cm
13/ Mount a putting on the foredeck for the spinnakerpole
14/ Mount a bow sprit for a Code 0. Not for racing, because the handicap with the ORC rating will be too high, but for cruising with less wind
15/ Modify the backstay with better blocks

Next posts on this topic will show the modifications for further reference and other 320 owners, maybe it's helpful for someone else. 

#004|Jefa DD1|ACU200|EV1|P70|Raymarine E7|Axiom Pro9s|B&G displays|Emtrak transponder|Lewmar traveller|Dyneema|Flexofold|Carbon pole|ball bearing genoacars|Membrame sails|Spi and asym spi|N2K->Wifi
FTK View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FTK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2019 at 13:57
I am very happy Big smile

Next year - maybe this year already - I would like to take part in regattas and therefore every experiences are welcome!

(What I've done already: bought Gori 2 blades propeller and T90 H.T. Polyester main halyard)

Edited by FTK - 06 March 2019 at 14:03
320 #145
mystudio View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mystudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2019 at 19:56
Ordered a carbon spinnaker pole today. Lenght 395 cm, weight around 3,15 kg and diameter 60mm. Good for spinnakering and good for the genoa when not racing I think. 

#004|Jefa DD1|ACU200|EV1|P70|Raymarine E7|Axiom Pro9s|B&G displays|Emtrak transponder|Lewmar traveller|Dyneema|Flexofold|Carbon pole|ball bearing genoacars|Membrame sails|Spi and asym spi|N2K->Wifi
mystudio View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mystudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2019 at 15:42
Okay, the padeye is ready. A little challenge, because the aluminium plate was not in the middle/center of the boat and was also smaller than the drawings said it should be. My guess it's around 6x6 cm instead of 10x10. So, solved it by mounting the padeye on a teak placeholder. 

For the line on the spinnakerpole I'm planning on this system: 

Thereby there is a line on every side of the boat, so it will be more easy to control the line and it's also 2:1, so should be more easy to control 

Next step is to mount a mastrail with spinnaker pole eye. Thinking of a 25mm rail of Pfeiffer marine, around 2 metres and a Pfeiffer Marine spinnaker pole eye for that rails. 
mystudio View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mystudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2019 at 19:23
Okay. The stuff delivered. Lewmar size 1 NTR torlan ball genua cars with toggle & beckets, one control block, end stops with single control block, HTX blocks and some other stuff.  

As can be seen there may be no need for a block after the winches. It can be that guidance can be solved by just putting some guidance eyes on the boat on tactic places. Will check this better, but, at first eye this probably could work: 

The size one car with torlon balls is 71mm wide, and fits exactly close to the windows. The construction prohibits that the car can fall to the window, it only can fall on deck. Therefore you have a port- and a starboard car. So, this works. 

Next steps: drilling some holes in the footrail for mounting the blocks for barberhaulers and mounting the trimlines for the genoacars. 

Edited by mystudio - 23 March 2019 at 19:25
Janni View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2019 at 06:28
Originally posted by mystudio mystudio wrote:

As can be seen there may be no need for a block after the winches. It can be that guidance can be solved by just putting some guidance eyes on the boat on tactic places. Will check this better, but, at first eye this probably could work: 

I wonder if the sheet will not rub at you Gelcoat at the corner visible (the edge of the cabin superstructure). Shocked
The other disadvantage is that the Sprayhood is not usable in this configuration. 

We do also have the Genoa tracks installed and we you them to sheet the selftacker when sailing at 90°AWA and more. 
We are thinking to put a padeye for a blick aside of the reling stenchion - it looks like there is a reinforcement - meant for another stenchion for a reling door. 

Jan

Hanse 320 #548 "SCHNEGGE"
mystudio View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mystudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2019 at 07:23
Got the new custom made, carbon spinakkerpole! Really nice made, with heads of alu made on a CNC machine, looking awesome. 
You'll need lots of blocks, line handlers and stops when spinakkering and using the adjustable genoacards. Furthermore, I'm mounting the barberhaulers on the footrail of the Hanse. Almost everything is now done, just have to mount cleats for stopping the genoacars and stops for the barberhaulerlines. 

Janni View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2019 at 12:24
Can you pls. explain, how you have supported the sheet eyes on the deck?
Did you find any supports in the deck struckture?
Jan
mystudio View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mystudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2019 at 08:41
The genoasheets are going to a Lewmar HTX block 60mm mounted on the clamps on the back. They are mouted with 5mm dyneema on the clamp and are fixed in their position with elastic lines: 

The same is being done for the spinnaker sheets. They are going to a 70mm Lewmar block mounted on the clamp and are at the widest part of the boat supported by barberhaulers. On the barberhaulers ther is mounted a friction ring where the spinnakersheets are going through. One end of the barberline is fixed mounted and the other end is going out and back through the barberblock and feeding back to the aft of the cockpit. Hereby I've got a 2:1 delay. 

The downhaul of the spinnakerpole is a continue line which travels through three blocks on the foredeck. This gives the ability to have a 2:1 delay and trim the downhaul on as well the left- as right side of the boat. 

There is not a lot of 'body' to drill the holes for the camcleats in here, so be aware that you drill the right holes, not too wide or it will come loose. My guess it's only max 3mm here. 

The spnnakerpole lifted. The blue line for the self tacking jib will be the topping lift for the pole. 

Edited by mystudio - 22 April 2019 at 09:14
Janni View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2019 at 12:07
I was asking for the following: 

Jan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>