myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 575/588
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Quality problems with the interior

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sysarah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quality problems with the interior
    Posted: 29 March 2019 at 19:52
Hello All other owners, 

I am struggling with a lot of quality issues with the interior of my Hanse 588.

1 All locks on drawers and doors are opening while at sea because the hook that hooks into the plate is too shallow and the hooked part comes loose on either tack. 
2 The yard uses a too soft plywood, not marine grade, and too small screws which results in the screws loosing its grip and falling off. So far locks, joints/gas arms, salon table, companionway and aircon/heat controllers have fallen down/off. 
3 the shower furniture, including the door and door frames are rotting. This is due to bad material choices and definitely not marine grade plywood. 
4 rust in the companionway steps by the welds. 

These are major issues as a lot of the interior furniture needs replacing before these issues are fixed. Any thoughts anyone?

It would be great to hear more from you other owners here.
Black Diamond View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2019 at 01:01
We noticed upon delivery that certain things like the shower doors were not going to last long if they were constantly exposed to water.   I debated putting some "skin" on the inside of the shower door, but then it would be very visible most of the time with the door open.    In the end, my wife and I make sure the door is dried right after the shower.   Squeegee and wiped down.    This is the third season and no problem so far. 

No problems with the drawers and cabinets holding tight in a rough sea or steep tack.    We do have a metal rod for the dishwasher drawers and metal pins for the refrigerator drawers, and they have so far held up fine.   We had a refrigerator drawer slide open once, but that was when someone forgot to latch the pin in place.

We've not seen the problem with the wood.  When I was at the factory and looked at the pre-cut wood going into our boat (they cut it all so its ready when the hull arrives), it was marine plywood.  The difference could be the cherry wood upgrade, but who knows...

Edited by Black Diamond - 31 March 2019 at 19:14
Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Hanse 575 Build #192, Hull# 161
Newport, RI
mglonnro View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mglonnro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2019 at 15:11
Originally posted by Sysarah Sysarah wrote:

Hello All other owners, 

I am struggling with a lot of quality issues with the interior of my Hanse 588.

1 All locks on drawers and doors are opening while at sea because the hook that hooks into the plate is too shallow and the hooked part comes loose on either tack. 
2 The yard uses a too soft plywood, not marine grade, and too small screws which results in the screws loosing its grip and falling off. So far locks, joints/gas arms, salon table, companionway and aircon/heat controllers have fallen down/off. 
3 the shower furniture, including the door and door frames are rotting. This is due to bad material choices and definitely not marine grade plywood. 
4 rust in the companionway steps by the welds. 

These are major issues as a lot of the interior furniture needs replacing before these issues are fixed. Any thoughts anyone?

It would be great to hear more from you other owners here.

This is just amazing (in a bad way). What does the dealer and/or Hanse say about this? You have any pictures of what it looks like? The problems appeared late enough not to be included in the warranty?
kipwrite View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kipwrite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2019 at 16:41
The interior on my 505 is holding up well. 

I have had to adjust several of the push button latches to get various doors and drawers to close securely while at sea. This is not difficult. 

No issue with wood rot anywhere. 

My biggest issues have been that the finish seems to cloud up when exposed to suntan lotion. And the chrome fixtures need to be polished out a little too frequently. 
Kipwrite
Johcow View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johcow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2019 at 04:52
I too have had major issues with my 418. I have had issues with misaligned cabinetry, timber trim missing, draws & cupbords not opening, headlining material falling off, cracked gelcoat, indescribable amateurish gelcoat repairs done at the factory, cracked coamings around winch, print through on the gelcoat, swim ladder incorrectly fitted, now on my 3rd starter motor due to incorrect wiring by factory, ripples over the deck moulding, dings & dents to timber cabinetry, warped chart table top. The list goes on. This is my 4th new Hanse. No way will there be a fifth.
MAGNUM 1 View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAGNUM 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2019 at 13:44
I am rather estonished about this thread. Because the quality of Hanse is concerned. I never found comments about this thread before. 
There are different perspectives of quality: the design by J&V, the technical components, the quality of building. 
The two first mentioned issues are really ok. The quality of building is lousy.
My first ship has been a H325 with a lot of faillures. But I have learnt that the after sale service was really willing to repair all faillures. Within a time of 2 years. Althouh I thougt that I never will have the same trouble the idea of a larger ship occoured nevertheless.
At the end I ordered a 385. Even so the bathrom is too smal. But ships above 38 ft have certain problems in the harbors of the baltic sea.
The list of quality issues has become very very long. I will not border  you with all details. But to mount furniture and a door inclined leads me to the question wether any control of quality happens. 
And one thread made me very angry because the safty of the boat has been concerned. The fluxgate compass was not fixed. Related to the motion of the see and steering by autopilot the boat jumped from the left to the right. For month I followed the question why permanently the compensation of the fluxgate was moving. No ideas about this by Hanse - until an external got the idea about the fluxgate mounting.
Nevertheless the after sale service cleared all issues within in 2 years again.
At least I have Hanse informed that I can not imagine to buy a Hanse again. 

Carlosailfan View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlosailfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2019 at 15:42
I bought my Hanse 385 in 2014, honestly some minor issues and 1 factory mistake. ( The security cover for the rudder could be removed but the emergency tiller could not fit to the rudder. The opening on the floor panel was 5 cm out of center ) It took 2 years but i received a new floor panel  Smile OK.
Furthermore, no problems i could not fix my selves in a short period, oh yes i forgot one, the MDI of Volvo got 3 times broken but all the issues fixed in Warranty and this has nothing to do with the H385 quality. I build in my-selves a bowthruster and i was surprised on the stiffness and construction of the hull, basic material is very good !
So in general i am quit satisfied and please do not compare with a Hallberg, a Rustler. Value for money is, @ least for me, very good !!

Best regards
/C
MAGNUM 1 View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAGNUM 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2019 at 17:54
My congratulation that you are one of the lucky owners with minor failors.

Have you been informed that Volvo did a recall concerning the MID units? And replenished the MID with a new one without any cost? 

The advantage in price results by the so called scale effect. A large number of vessels decrease the cost in all dimensions. From specific cost for design per piece, in purchasing all components up to the work flow process in the shipyard. Thatsway Hanse and all competitors can offer the ships to a similar deep price. And we the customer have the benefit.

But to let the stuff make failurs which has to be repaired in the after sale services is wrong under two considerations: 

At first the after sale process counts a lot of money which could be safed.

At second the owners could avoid a lot of trouble.

If the quality would be on an exceptable level the relationship price to 
Performance would be outstanding.

mglonnro View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mglonnro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2019 at 06:04
So how does the process work? I've figured it's like this but maybe someone can elaborate.

1. HanseYachts builds version 0.8 of the yacht
2. The dealer performs a survey to identify everything that isn't as it should (everything from gelcoat scratches to poorly installed shelves to missing components). 

==> Who here is responsible for fixing these issues? Will HanseYachts themselves have to fix it before the dealer accepts "handover to start commissioning" or will the dealer fix it at HanseYacht's cost as a part of the commissioning? (Or some kind of shared responsibility)

At some point I assume there has to be a confirmed handover between Hanse and the dealer where the boat is 100% ok or there is an agreement on who should fix the faults. (Boat version 0.9!)

3. The dealer performs the commissioning. If it's done in Greifswald then I guess Yachtwerft Greifswald is often used (?) to do the actual work. 

4. Handover to the customer where again the whole boat will be surveyed (I guess this would be a good time to use a 3rd party surveyor again) and is either so filled with problems that the customer doesn't accept the handover, OR the handover is accepted with an agreement to fix issues A, B, C, ... later? (Version 1.0)

To me it seems that the dealer should have quite a lot of leverage in assuring a good outcome of the whole process. (The customer as well!) 

Even if the manufacturing quality of HanseYachts would vary quite much (does it?), the process should enable the production of good quality boats, if it's followed. 

So where are the greatest problems and how can they be rectified?

Edited by mglonnro - 03 April 2019 at 06:07
MAGNUM 1 View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAGNUM 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2019 at 13:51
For better understanding I remark that I have bought my ship directly in Greifswald. The dealer was the Hanse HVG. They always say that they are a subsidiary for  Sales and Marketing but not the shipyard for it self.

A stuff of HVG explained the rules of collaboration as follows (without any guaranty of truth):

1. HVG (the dealer) performs a first survey and the shipyard fixes all found issues 
2. The new owner takes over the ship and a survey owner/dealer will be done
3. All the issues found under 2. and all following issues within the next 4 weeks will be fixed by the shipyard
4. The dealer has bought the ship with an acceptebal discount. This discount includes the margin for the dealer and the cost for fixing all following issues up to the end of the time of warranty.
5. The dealer has own stuff for the after sale service (from the point of view of the dealer the total cost for this service is fixed over a year)
6. In case that a technical component has to be replaced  the OEM manufacturer has to deliver.

The variation of the count of issues per ship seems to be extensive. 

Let me repeat again that I have reported the tale of an employee. May be that there are wrong Details ... 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>