myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 311 / 312 / 315
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Retrofitting a Windlass

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
david selby View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david selby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Retrofitting a Windlass
    Posted: 07 April 2021 at 21:57
I'll await your explanation Thankyou.
grumpydatagit View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grumpydatagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2021 at 16:00

I fitted a horizontal windlass last year to my 315 but I took a slightly different approach to the normal way of  mounting it. The normal shelf doesn't leave a great deal of space to store fenders etc and is difficult to service the winch if required. I can unbolt mine from the top and the whole thing comes away.
 I need to finish it of this month when she is hout and I should take some photos for the forum to show how I did it and how a hid  the cables between the batteries and the windlass.  If you just want the photos send me your email in a PM
david selby View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david selby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2021 at 15:25
I am considering a lewmar pro to fit on a shelf in anchor locker could I fit a horizontal windlass, or are these not waterproof?
Martin&Rene View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin&Rene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2019 at 15:55
Whilst I have sent some info out be email, I thought I may as well as put it on the site.

The first photos are of a 315 in my marina.

This is from my 341, which did not initially have a windlass.  The engineer's apprentice installed (badly) a 20mm ply shelf, hence why I added more glass.

I think we both have Lewmar Pro-series windlasses.  I have 50m of 7mm chain, which is quite a lot of weight in a 341 bow, but we sail in Scotland.  When anchored, I use some or all of 10m of nylon rope as a snubber.

One problem I had is that the remote control socket in the shelf is actually a through deck design and so is open on the back.  A few years ago, the wires corroded and so I covered the back of it using a pill vitamin box.  When I went to take a photo of it, I found that it had come loose.  I probably had knocked it when I was kicking the chain to spread it out around the anchor locker.  (A common problem on most modern yachts, you just get used to doing the job part way through, so you can pull the last lot of chain up in one go.)  Ironically the next time  I anchored last week, it failed again, so a new solution is needed.  Present thought is to mount the socket on the top on IP65 junction box (Toolstation) and to mount that on the top of the shelf on the port side.

The last photo shows the circuit breaker mounted in the switch panel, with the switch actually in the front cupboard, whilst the relay is mounted on the back panel.  

It needs to be remembered that the winch is only intended to pull the anchor up and not pull the yacht forward in strong winds, so for somebody sailing single-handed, a wireless remote could be a "nice to have" rather than a "luxury".  Look at Force4 windlass wireless remote?  

Martin&Rene Hanse 341 Dipper Wheel steering, 3 cabin layout, normally based in Scotland
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin&Rene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2019 at 13:15
On the 341 and I think on the 315, there is a white panel screwed  in the front cabin above the shelves and the cables are run down there.  The cables are fed into the anchor locker through a hole in the top port corner.  I do not think the electricians actually removed the panel, I think they just used fishing rods/cable rods/duct rods (thin fibreglass rods) to feed them through.  In both the front saloon port locker and the switch panel the tops are just thin ply panels, held in by screws, which you can remove and access the space there.

Martin&Rene Hanse 341 Dipper Wheel steering, 3 cabin layout, normally based in Scotland
Derek Mayhew View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derek Mayhew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2019 at 14:56
I am also interested in fitting one to a 312 of 2004 vintage.  With particular regard to the routing of the power supply cables. Are there any suitable conduits built into the boats?
Derek (Meribel)
Ole Østergaard View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ole Østergaard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2019 at 14:15
pls, send it also to me, thanks in advance
olp@olp.dk
MoDi Hanse312 Sail # 351
Ole Østergaard
Egå Marina
Århus
Danmark
olp@mail.dk
www.olp.dk
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin&Rene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2019 at 14:01
I have some photos that may help you.  I am on my yacht, so cannot resize them for the myhanse website.  Pm your email address and I will send them to you.
grumpydatagit View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grumpydatagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 13:51

Has anyone out there with the previous generation 315  got a windlass fitted in their anchor locker. I woud like some photos and advise of which windlass you have / used.

My back is begning to complain  when there is a tide or strong wind.I know I can ease the effort by motoring forward but sailing solo, I haven't quite managed the art of being in two places at once. Smile

Many thanks
DAvid
 Post Reply Post Reply