myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 371
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hitting the Dock on purpose!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hitting the Dock on purpose!
    Posted: 25 July 2019 at 02:12
Last week I was returning (singlehanded) to my marina slip in a strong wind and incoming tide taking the boat away from the dock. Twice I tried and failed to get close enough to the dock to jump ashore with a line.

How I got tied up is detailed here with diagrams and photos:

Edited by gshannon - 25 July 2019 at 02:13
Grahame

Tangleberry 371-092

aviadesign.com
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2019 at 09:16
May I suggest that in those situations that you are approaching from the wrong direction.
You are already pushing the boat away from the pontoon.
if you have room it could be to your advantage to go past, turn round & come in from the other way & " throw" the boat at the pontoon.
If you cannot turn round, then back down the row so you can then go bows in from the other way.
I do accept that you will have issues with wind & tide but at least you are not making it worse

As for bow damage; I wrote an article for the Practical Boating Magazine on how to fit a very cheap bow protector. Being a single hand sailor I do not want the faff of fitting a bow fender every time & my bow fender- which only cost a few £'s saves lots of damage to my bows.
If I can find the details I will post it here

Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2019 at 09:28

This is my bow protector. I cannot find the magazine article I wrote but it is a piece of white soil pipe bought from a DIY warehouse. It comes in 850mm lengths for extending the WC outlet.
I cut a cardboard template of the bow at the top & at the bottom.
I then determined that how much of the arc of the soil pipe I could cut at the top ( Because it matches the radius of the bow) & how much of the arc I could cut at the bottom ( Because at the bottom the radius is much tighter so I could only have a narrow strip of plastic.
I marked the top of the pipe from top to bottom & cut the tapered shape from the pipe.
I stuck it to the bow with Sika & held it in place with tape for a few hours. I marked where it would go & put tape to stop the excess mastic marking the GRP
Now when I hit the pontoon it just chips the plastic & not the GRP
415 Singapore View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 415 Singapore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2019 at 13:57
Hi, tide and wind pushing you away doesn’t make for easy berthing even with a crew, let alone single handed! Your drawings suggest that yours is the second to last berth, in which case the ability to approach from beyond it and to leeward is limited. I think I would have chickened out and taken the vacant (Benateau) berth and worried about being in the right berth later. 
All the best
Paul
Paul - Night Train - 415 #136
Rock View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2019 at 16:59
The other thing you can consider is put it the boat in the left leeward berth.
Let it rest against the finger with fenders.
Then use your winch and a line to pull yourself to the windward berth.
Takes a bit of time, and you need to balance the boat to keep it straight, but it works in a controlled manner.

Best regards,
Peter.
Hanse 400e "M-square2" #0241
Ratbasher View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ratbasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2019 at 17:35
I frequently berth singlehanded yet even with crew never have anyone jump ashore with lines until the boat is securely moored. As the boat is several feet longer than most pontoons I put a bowline over the aft winch and lead a line forward of a stanchion by the cockpit before bringing it back through the centre cleat towards the winch. Making up some coils between the stanchion and centre cleat to form a lasso, I stop the boat about 2/3 into the finger pontoon (or off it in the conditions you describe), lasso the cleat, quickly tighten up the tail on the winch and motor forward turning the wheel as appropriate. This brings the boat firmly alongside in any conditions; if the wind or tide is particularly strong I simply increase revs. The pressure on the base of the stanchion is not harmful as it is not used to stop the boat, merely to hold it for the minute it takes to step ashore with the lines. The boat is pulled and held securely aft and midships.

Mrs Rat has become quite expert at lassoing a cleat from some distance away. She says she has to be given my boat handling sometimes....

H400 (2008) 'Wight Leopard', Gosport UK
gshannon View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2019 at 20:54
In retrospect I should have gone into the vacant slip opposite. However I didn't have fenders on that side. I would have had to back out to a more open area (several hundred yards) and move the fenders over. This situation has not arisen since, now that I'm ready for it. The bow damage was just a scrape on the blue vinyl wrap. Patched invisibly in ten minutes.
Grahame

Tangleberry 371-092

aviadesign.com
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2019 at 09:18
Sounds like you need one of these. This one I made with a short extending handle for hooking bollards in lock walls. I have described how to make it with a longer handle for hooking cleats, in an article for the the Practical Boat Owner magazine in a couple of months
I cannot reprint the article here due to having submitted for publication, so you will have to wait & buy the mag  or PM me

Edited by samuel - 06 September 2019 at 09:21
plattgatt View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plattgatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2019 at 14:56
KlatschenKlatschen?
370#641 "aqua d`or"
gshannon View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2019 at 18:20
Looks a good idea. It still takes quick footwork to use something like this single handed in strong wind and tide. Will watch for the article.
Grahame

Tangleberry 371-092

aviadesign.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>