myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 415/418
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

H418 motor starter burned

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TouchOfGrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: H418 motor starter burned
    Posted: 27 August 2019 at 20:58
hi all,

We received our H418 in April 2018, hull #26. 
Engine type is Yanmar 3JH5E.

Recently we started our trip across the North Sea from the Netherlands to the UK. After a couple of hours sailing against the wind we started the engine to maintain a decent speed. After an hour of motorsailing we increased rev’s to keep up with some friends sailing with us. Then a smell of burning and it appeared our motor starter had burned.

I don’t know if the starter had continued ‘starting’ and thus failed, or whether the starter failed to disengage mechanically after starting and then got burned up. I suspect the second, but can’t be sure.

Anyone else with recent Yanmar motor starter problems?

I am aware of a thread in H575 that included similar problems on two H418 boats, both delivered in spring 2018 just like ours:

Muriel View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muriel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2019 at 22:16
Hi Touch of Grey,
If you go to an April thread titled 575 Quality issues, you will see reports of several owners talking about similar issues with 418 Starter Motor burnouts.  Our 418/81 was commissioned in Sydney in April this year and our dealer installed a small stainless frame around the engine control buttons in the cockpit as they had concerns that the Start button could easily be leant on accidentally when under way.  This would then cause the starter motor to run on and not disengage, leading to a burnout.

Is it possible that in the process of increasing revs, someone has leant against the control pad with their leg for some time and not noticed? 

We certainly haven't had a problem with ours but don't know if the issues are related to the above scenario or not.

Good luck.

Love our 418.
Bruce J 

Muriel View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muriel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2019 at 22:19
I just realised you were already on that thread.  Your message wasn't fully displayed on my iPad when I typed my previous reply.
Cheers.
Tranquillity View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tranquillity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2019 at 13:10
Bruce - Would it be possible to get a picture of the cage covering the starter control as sounds a very good idea?

Henk, - As you have seen we had a similar issue on the first weekend of our 418 (#44 June18), control panel and starter motor replaced and no problems since with extra 150 engine hours now covered, all working well.

Hope you got to UK ok!

Jon

TouchOfGrey View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TouchOfGrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2019 at 17:12
Hi Bruce,

thanks for your post.

I'm sure the start button was not pressed, certainly not for a prolonged period, causing the burning up. It is possible the button was pressed shortly while the motor was running already and it failed to disengage afterwards. I'm afraid we'll never know.

Yanmar Netherlands puts the full blame on the thick cables used by Hanse. The thick -cable would slip down and make contact with the pulse-contact on the relais. I don't buy this given the absence of any spark damage. Plus all cables were solid in the right place when the mechanic started removing the starter.

regards,
Henk

TouchOfGrey View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TouchOfGrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2019 at 17:14
Hi Jon,

thanks for your reply. Yes we got to the UK safe and sound, just 2 days later than hoped.

Had a great time on the East coast and visiting London. The 418 behaved very well and in our group of 8 boats we were along the fastest, especially with the Furlstrom sail.

regards,
Henk
Muriel View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muriel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2019 at 20:56
Hi Jon,
We won't be on the boat until late next week so I’ll try to remember to take a photo and post it then.
Cheers
Bruce
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tranquillity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2019 at 21:09
Bruce - Many thanks!

Henk - Pleased you made it safely to UKSmile. Totally agree about being a fast sail, we really enjoy our 418.

Cheers,
Jon
Muriel View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muriel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2019 at 21:38
Hi Jon,
Just realised I had a photo, although it’s a bit grainy when resized. If you zoom in on the control panel you will see the neat 2 bar cage over the buttons.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Bruce
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tranquillity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2019 at 21:48
Bruce - Very smart, nice bit of design.
Can see how in a wave could save a knee knocking the panel and a lot of future expense!
Many thanks.
Jon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>