myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 415/418
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

H418 motor starter burned

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Breathe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2019 at 10:49
Hi Jon,

Our 418, #33 had wear on the wiring loom between engine and control panel.

In our case the wear resulted in a short between the cable providing power to the control panel, and the cable controlling the air heater control solenoid. This meant the air heater stayed on, as long as the control panel had power. Sufficient heat was generated to ignite the plastic air intake box. Damage was at a level where a new engine was required. Without going into the details, it was a bad experience, but all damage has been fixed now.

It is possible to see a situation where the short could be between power supply and starter solenoid. I suggest that you, and other 418 owners, check the full length of the control cable loom. Mine was not in conduit. The loom for the new engine is in conduit!

Note that at least one boat in NZ has also had starter issues, hopefully they will provide comments soon.

Regards
Gordon
Breathe View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breathe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2019 at 10:52
Sorry,

Should have addressed the above to Jon and Henk.

Gordon
Muriel View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muriel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2019 at 14:11
Further to our discussions Gordon, my 50 hour service included disconnection of the  power supply to the air heater solenoid.  It has been secured in place such that, should we ever feel the need, it can be reconnected.
There has been no modification instruction issued by Hanse or Yanmar to Agents since your “event” so they still consider it a “one off”.  Hopefully they are right.  The “option” of re-routing the loom via conduit was not on the table for discussion.
All seems good after SIBS.
Enjoy the Coral Coast.
Cheers
Tranquillity View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tranquillity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2019 at 09:06
Gordon. 

Thanks for the advice, will definately check!

Also sorry to hear of your incident, sounds like you have been very unlucky. Having lifted the floorboards on our 418 I was impressed how the cables/pipes were laid through conduit, unlike our previous boat, (not a Hanse) but must admit did not check control panel!

Hope you now have smooth sailing.

Jon
Breathe View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breathe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2019 at 10:11
Jon,

The area of concern on our boat was on the port side of the engine, where the loom rubbed on either the engine or the sail drive. There are other cables above the control loom.

The control loom runs from here to the stern under the bunk and adjacent to the exhaust pipe. This is probably the easiest place to have a look.

Gordon
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tranquillity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2019 at 22:52
Gordon. 

Many thanks, very helpful. Did a quick check and all looks ok, wrapped tightly in tape and no damage but will do a detailed inspection. Appreciated the detailed feedback.

Good sailing.

Jon
Breathe View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breathe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2019 at 10:38
Jon,

Ours was wrapped in tape, that did not provide adequate protection when the loom rubbed on something near the engine, probably a bolt. See photos below. My new loom has been installed in split conduit.

This thread has made me spend to much time remembering one of life’s really bad experiences.....

On the other hand, we had a great sail today, a nice long reach in 15 knots of tropical wind, Breathe doing what she was purchased to do. We are cruising the east coast of Australia, currently in the Whitsunday Islands, arguably Australia’s premier cruising location. We are here until the end of September,  then time to head home.

Gordon

Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tranquillity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2019 at 21:40
Gordon.

You have a stunning location, we visited a couple of years ago and loved the area!  Lots of fond Oz memories!

As a contrast this weekend in Yarmouth a small pretty harbour off Isle of Wight but UK weather blowing and a very cold wind!!

Thanks for pics and advice, will get our control cables wrapped in a spiral conduit as can see the benefit.

G'day and enjoy those beautiful  islandsTongue

Jon.

S&J View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2019 at 23:03
Hmm.  As a part time Aussie I'm envious of Breath being in tropical waters.  Many happy memories cruising the Whitsundays on a charter yacht, long before I owned my own boat.
We got hammered today with 30+ over the decks and somewhat inexperienced crew so didn't even get as far as Yarmouth, which was our intended destination.  However just spent a great evening exchanging sailing stories in one of the restaurants in Cowes.
Wishing you all fair winds and safe passages.
H458 #159 Primal Mediterranean cruising
TouchOfGrey View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TouchOfGrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2019 at 08:07
hi guys,

Triggered by the story of Bruce I'd asked Windcraft what exactly they install to protect the motor panel buttons. Richard kindly send the following response: "We do indeed fit a stainless steel protection bar to the Yanmar panel. These are manufactured here for each boat. I have attached a photograph of one we have installed for your reference."

Happy sailing,

Henk 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>