myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 350
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Retractable Bow Thruster

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raw72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Retractable Bow Thruster
    Posted: 21 November 2019 at 22:40
Hi All, has anyone out in the big blue fitted a retractable bow thruster to a 350? I have a 2007 hull 23 hanse350 that is very fickle with a cross wind coming into berth. Any and all help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Rich
Nilandhoo View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nilandhoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2019 at 07:09
Hi Rich,

We have a 2012 commissioned 325 and have just finished installing a tunnel bow thruster.
Let me know if you want more info.

Paul
Hanse 325 'One Life'
Raw72 View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raw72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2019 at 18:06
hi Paul, I was hoping to use a retractable to cut down on drag. How have you found this on yours?

Nilandhoo View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nilandhoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2019 at 18:50
Hi Rich,

We are still on the hard after the carrying out the installation as we are changing thru hulls at the same time.
We are too small for a retractable but I think it's a trade off between complexity over drag.  We don't race so a small loss of performance should be acceptable.
We were advised by the guys at Bow Thrusters direct that the shape of the tunnel is very critical.  Building a 'deflector eyebrow' helps reduce the drag and rounding the ends of the tunnel helps the performance of the thruster by reducing cavitation.
The 350 is not much bigger than the 325 and we could not fit one so it is worth having a word with Phil at Inspiration Marina to see if it's possible to fit a retractable thruster.  if it is possible they will know.

Cheers
Paul
Hanse 325 'One Life'
iemand View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iemand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2019 at 07:15
maybe a waterjet thruster?
Hanse 312 MJ 2004 - Hanse 370e MJ 2007
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2019 at 08:34
34" is at the limit for a performing tunnel bow thruster. There is also not enough space for a retractable bow thruster ( may be the new flat retractable might fit without major modifications).

I have fitted on my 345 an external thruster "Exturn" , recommended and installed by the yard in 2013 ad I am very happy with it:
- very very quiet ( you don't wake up your neighbor or the whole marina )
- extremely powerful as it is well below the surface => no cavitation
- reliable, not a single problem since 5 years
- no noticeable loss of performance under sail

The Exturn has its own 90 Ah AGM ( same as the starter batt ) in front of the water tank which is kept fresh by a Sterling bat-bat charger. Another Hanse 342 in our Marina has retrofitted a Exturn. This was completed in a day. He operates it with a remote control, to avoid pulling a cable from bow to the stern. The newer Hanse's are not built for additional cables

Edited by Fendant - 24 November 2019 at 08:41
Frank
Nilandhoo View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nilandhoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2019 at 15:45
Our tunnel thruster is a side power 40Kw with a 125mm dia tunnel. 
Side power state that the top of the tunnel should be a minimum of 1/2 the tunnel diameter below the water line but recommend a full tunnel diameter (125mm) is best.  We have managed to do this with our 325 and installing the motor unit in the space in front of the water tank and a new battery in the stb side compartment next to the depth/log.

Paul
Hanse 325 'One Life'
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2019 at 19:12
40 kW ? Is this a Superyacht?
I assume that it is a 4 kW thruster
Frank
Nilandhoo View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nilandhoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2019 at 19:23
I thought all Hanse yachts were Super yachts Wink

But you are correct, it a Side Power SE40 which is actually 3Kw not 40Kw, my bad!

Paul

Hanse 325 'One Life'
Ødegården View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ødegården Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2019 at 20:40
I have considered a retractable thruster, for my H 355 (identical to H 350) for about 30 second but then decided to install a sidepower “sleipner” exturn type thruster size EX95 for 24 V.
Installation completed 10 days ago and i’m very happy, all ok only that my boat now looks very stupid, when placed on the slipway!
It give good thrust, no noise (almost) and dont take up much space.
The day after we returned back from yard to our home port it was a bit windy, 12m/s average, 17 m/s in gusts and the thruster really proved it’s effect.... no problem to compensate for the Wind pressure... we were sailing, manouwring and berthing and we could compensate for the wind as needed.
We were very happy.....also because the weather during seatrial was providing real windy conditions.
Cost almost same as if i like to have a traditionel tunnel thruster SE85... something like 56.000 danish kroner = 7500 Euro.... this includes everything also a remote control.
I know that 3 more H355 have this exturn thruster fitted, but have no idea whether owners are as happy as me.
You can also chose a traditionel tunnel thruster, SE85, it will fit just in front of the water tank, but there will be quite some (a lot) cavitation due to the fact the lack of sufficient water “height” above the tunnel pipe....
My exturn are fitted rigth in front of the water tank, incl the I-box and wireless receiver, the 2x12 v exide battery (CCA =540) is fitted in the small locker aft starboard for the bed here is also the main switch, and finalt the stepup charger ( you can call it a converter) 12 v to 24 v are fitted in port midship couch, where the main batteri and the primary charger also are located.
For batteries i highly recommend you to chose the blue top spiral type, 55ah which have a CCA on 750 which is much better for a power demanding installation... the yard tricked me somwhow... as they are much more costly, additional 300 Euro in all...unfortunately they never gave me the option!

In case you (or other ) need pictures or more details pls let me know then i will upload

Rgds 
Peter
Hanse 355 #81, 3 cabin, selden rig, VP D1-30, Simrad-Jefa steering system, Planar D44 Heater.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>