myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 575/588
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bow thruster door lost on passage.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Relentless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bow thruster door lost on passage.
    Posted: 24 November 2019 at 15:14
On a recent passage from Hampton Virginia to Antigua,  I lost the bow thruster door.

During a few days of heavier seas and fast boat speeds, I got an alarm on the helm that bow thruster has a problem.  I suspected that it was a limit switch error caused from pounding into waves. 

I pulled the fuse to reset but couldn’t.

Once we arrived in Antigua,  we were able to take a closer look and was shocked to find that bow thruster was down and the linear ram was unscrewed. 

Then a quick dive revealed that the door was gone, the brackets broken... and cables broken.

The unit seems to work fine... it deploys and stows on command and was instrumental in Med mooring at Nelson’s Dockyard. 

Here’s the question..... how do I get a new door?  And how to prevent it from happening again?  

Black Diamond View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2019 at 16:14
Wow... that's concerning.       I asked a question about this when I was building our boat and was told that you can secure the door for ocean passages so that it cannot pop open in heavy weather.   You can secure it with a lanyard from the inside, although I have not yet had to do so...

The Hanse spare parts web site has this part.  (See Link)  I can't comment on delivery to Antigua.  Given freight it might be less expensive to build one there, although you might have to haul to install it.   With the right spare, you could probably do it in the water.

Edited by Black Diamond - 24 November 2019 at 16:15
Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Hanse 575 Build #192, Hull# 161
Newport, RI
Relentless View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Relentless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2019 at 18:46
thanks Rick!! I’ll try to post some photos if I can.

Wifi and internet access is a challenge down here.  
Wayne's World View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne's World Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2019 at 19:57
We had a "lost" BT door replaced after our first season. It can not be done correctly with the boat in the water- you will need to slip. The replacement door as supplied needs to be reinforced and then some custom fitting needs to be done to make sure the door fits the hull. We noticed the original door only had 4 of the 8 bolt fitting holes used. In the end I think we used all 8. Now had the same door for 5 years and about 17000nm.
Wayne W
Cruising, currently in the Caribbean and will head across the Pacific early 2024
Simonb View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simonb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2020 at 20:54
I have lost three. All on long passages. Hansa deny there’s an issue - there clearly is. The issue is one of design. The bow is large and flat. The required a door. The bow also slaps in a sea, you might have noticed. The result is the door can partially open. When that happens the sensors can think the doors are deploying. What I have done, touch wood it seems to have worked is fitted an isolator at the panel that turns of all electrics to the thrusters. 

Edited by Simonb - 01 January 2020 at 20:56
Simon B
Tranquillity View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tranquillity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2020 at 11:42
Simon.

Do you think isolating the bow thruster battery by simply turning power to off at battery will be enough to prevent inadvertent bow thruster door opening in a big pounding sea?

If so hopefully simple but effective solution?

Thanks.
Jon
Simonb View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simonb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2020 at 12:01
I used to do that two issues :

1. It’s a real bother do do it. 

2. Isolating the thruster doesn’t (for a reason i cant remember) turn off the electrics totally. There are two power issues - the power to the thruster - which you can isolate. And then the sensors/controller power. 

You need to isolate all of them. It’s a relative low cost fix to do it all from the panel. 

Simon B
Tranquillity View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tranquillity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2020 at 13:19
Simon.

Thanks. Appreciate the advice.

Cheers.
Jon
Arcadia View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Arcadia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2020 at 19:16
Hey guys. Turning off the thruster battery at the bow only disables the propellor motor.  Everything else, including the actuator arm which deploys the tunnel and door run of the main DC buss in the salon.  It is easy to move this thruster control supply to an unused circuit on the Wurth DC panel. This way you can effectively disable the unit right at the DC panel. Once that is done, you won’t need to bother with the battery supply at the bow since spinning the prop isn’t really the problem.  The DC thruster supply circuits on the main buss are numbers 41 and 42, 10 amps each. I’ve done it, and it gives good peace of mind.

Edited by Arcadia - 04 January 2020 at 19:35
Leon / ARCADIA
2018 Hanse 588
Sag Harbor, NY
Arcadia View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Arcadia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2020 at 19:31
Also, regarding the thruster electrics. The thruster batteries have their own dedicated 24 volt chargers that are fed by the 12 volt DC buss.  The problem is that they are on the UNSWITCHED section.  This means that they are always drawing current even when the 12 volt main buss is switched off. And even when the thruster batteries are fully charged.  This parasitic drain is on the main banks, 24/7. I moved this charger supply to the SWITCHED buss, also very easy. There is no reason to be charging the thruster batteries if the rest of the boat is switched off! 

Edited by Arcadia - 04 January 2020 at 19:32
Leon / ARCADIA
2018 Hanse 588
Sag Harbor, NY
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>