myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > General > Chit Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lewmar Hatches

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 415 Singapore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lewmar Hatches
    Posted: 10 December 2019 at 06:54
Hi, I know this topic has already been covered extensively, but I thought I would share our experiences. All our hatches had started to leak so I decided to take them out and re-seat them. I was a little nervous as to how easy it would be to remove the relatively thin frames from the mastic. But I needn't have worried as they just lifted straight out once I had removed the screws, if we had turned the boat upside down they would have fallen out! On closer inspection there was no paint on the aluminium frames at all, it was all very neatly adhered to the mastic which was actually in quite good condition for 5 years continuous expose to tropic weather.
I am not sure if Lewmar use spray paint or powder coating, but whichever it was there was definitely no primer used. I guess it is too late to pursue Lewmar but at least our hatches don't leak anymore!
All the best
Paul
Paul - Night Train - 415 #136
Black Diamond View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2019 at 13:07
Are you sure you had to remove the whole thing?    I have a few spare rubber gaskets that just sit in the slots and making sure those are seated properly and in good shape seems to be 99.9999% of the work.

Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Hanse 575 Build #192, Hull# 161
Newport, RI
415 Singapore View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 415 Singapore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2019 at 13:34
Hi Rick,
Absolutely, the water was coming in badly between the frames and the paint, there was effectively a gap all the way round the hatch. I had previously tried new seals and new mastic in the screw holes, but that made no difference. But now they don't leak at all.
All the best
Paul
Inanna View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inanna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2019 at 14:44
Hi, Paul. I am getting ready for the exact same job. Thanks for sharing your experiences. I'll report the results, also. What sealant dis you use? I plan to use Sikaflex-295 UV.
All the best
Carlos
StavrosNZ View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StavrosNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2019 at 21:36
See my other posts on this subject, Lewmar flush hatches come only in a white powder coated finish for the frames, its done for cosmetic purposes rather than practicality. Powder coating has no place on a marine hatch in my opinion. Lewmar has had issues for many years with powder coating bubbling and blowing off.

After a few strongly worded emails and my suggesting to Lewmar we ask a lawyer for his opinion on if the products are fit for purpose they agreed to do a do a run of new frames for me with natural anodised finish same as our masts etc.

Whilst you have the hatches off note that they are screwed into the balsa core of the deck so any water intrusion will end up in the core. Either drill out the screw holes as large as you can say 13mm, fill with epoxy, let dry and then drill and tap the epoxy for 5mm machine screws. Even better drill right through and bolt the hatches down.

Dont bed with sealant, instead use butyl tape or butyl sealant, you will be amazed how much movement and stress there is around deck window, hatches and sealant will breakaway sooner or later, butyl is flexible and remains sealed for many many years. 

Edited by StavrosNZ - 10 December 2019 at 21:37
Stephen
2010 H400 #691, Auckland, New Zealand
415 Singapore View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 415 Singapore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2019 at 01:09
Hi Carlos, we didn’t use Sika 295 as there is no mastic exposed to sunlight and more importantly as Stavros suggests, it becomes quite hard and inflexible over age. We used a Japanese product but it really depends on local availability 
Good luck
Paul
Inanna View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inanna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 December 2019 at 21:43
Thanks so much for your advices, Stephen. I'll do exactly as you indicate. Thanks so much also for your report, Paul.
I'll report the results here as soon as I can do the job, as soon as the weather improves.
Regards
Carlos
 Post Reply Post Reply