myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 350
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Genoa Recommendations for 350

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjwdoyle@yahoo.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Genoa Recommendations for 350
    Posted: 20 January 2020 at 21:04
Hello;

We have a 2008 350 that is set up with the factory genoa tracks and cars.

We're planning to do some offshore racing on Lake Ontario, so I'm looking into getting a "performance cruising" type genoa - ie, it doesn't have to be some kind of carbon fibre wonder. Ideally, I'd like something that provides some added boost on a reach and also provides more of a "slot" upwind, but that could also be used partly-furled in a blow.

Does anybody have any recommendations for a versatile, but still somewhat performance-oriented, genoa?

Thank you,

Phil
Phil
silversailor View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote silversailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2020 at 21:50
I had a North Norlam 135 which fit that description.
Silversailor
South Haven, MI USA
S/V Legacy
2010 Andrews 28
pjwdoyle@yahoo.com View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjwdoyle@yahoo.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2020 at 22:10
Thanks, Alan. I hope the winter is treating you well. I will be going to North Sails in a couple of weeks to pick up a snuffer that they're making for the spinnaker, so I will chat with them then.
Phil
hugotthomas View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hugotthomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2020 at 21:45
Hi there, 

I'm looking for this exact type of sail for my 2008 350. Would you mind sharing how you got on at north? Would love a few pointers. 

Thanks, 

Hugo 

Edited by hugotthomas - 20 July 2020 at 21:45
Fair winds

Hugo
Hanse 350, 2008

pjwdoyle@yahoo.com View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjwdoyle@yahoo.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2020 at 22:03
Hello Hugo;

I got the attached quote from North's Toronto loft. The quote is in CAD. Note that the document makes it look like I was trying to buy 2 sails; this must just be a limitation of their quote template, because I was only planning to buy one!

I didn't pursue it - partly because I figured it didn't make sense to spend a lot of money when the whole sailing season might be cancelled. As it turns out, we've had some good sailing this summer after all, but all with the self-tacker and asymmetrical kite... no genoa yet.

I also got quotes from Evolution and Quantum which were in the same price range, and Far East and Precision, which were quite a bit cheaper.

Overall, if I wanted to go with a full-price option, North made the most compelling pitch with the 3Di Nordac construction.... but I would probably have opted for Precision (and may yet, next year), who are upfront about making their sails in Asia and are correspondingly about 40-50% cheaper. 

Best,

Philip
Phil
NK1 View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2022 at 23:43
Hi all. Looking to get a Genoa for my H350 too. Not sure what size to get. General cruising and club racing. Any opinion on size ? 110% 115% 120% 125% 130% 135%.  Are tracks too short for 135%? Are stay wires in the way for any particular size? Thanks. 
NK1 View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2022 at 23:45
Also if anyone selling one I would be very interested. Thanks 
NK1 View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2022 at 10:14
Hi all. Any help here would be great. Thanks 
Mschesser View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mschesser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2022 at 13:01
I have a 125% on my H370 that was made by a local Evolution loft (see below) that has been in use for several years now.  It has been excellent and is holding its shape extremely well.  Very fast and trims well.  It replaced a 135% that was a bit harder to manage.

Reach out to:
Jerry Latell
Evolution Sails Va
Jerry@latellsails.com

Reference vessel “Red Sky”
M Chesser, 370, “Red Sky”
NK1 View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2022 at 14:17
Thanks for your reply. Did you find much different in performance with 125% vs 135%? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>