myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 320
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mystery SIMNET connectors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SailCS33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mystery SIMNET connectors
    Posted: 23 March 2020 at 01:19
I am a new owner of the 2008 H320. Learning a lot of new things about the boat. Yesterday I looked behind the main DC switch panel and found mystery simnet network. I am wondering if maybe some boats came pre-wired like this?? Here is the picture I took and my notes. There are two mystery connectors and i have no idea where they might be going to.

My boat has only SIMRAD Combi S12 in the cockpit port side for depth and speed. I do not have wind indicator on the mast and one was not mentioned on the list of inventory during sale. All other electronics on the boat is Raymarine (C80 plotter, Pilot, Radar, AIS). Any idea where could these two go?

iemand View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iemand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2020 at 07:50
I am quite shure that these are the cables to the mast base for the wind indicator. You have the wires wheather you have wind option or not.
Hanse 312 MJ 2004 - Hanse 370e MJ 2007
Captain Cook View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Captain Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2020 at 09:10
This may help:
Update : Does not seem to work.................use  http://www.wesailhanse.se/370_manuals.htm
and search Marcos homepage.................
:Kjeld

Edited by Captain Cook - 23 March 2020 at 18:13
Freya H400 #27 (2006), 40HP 3JH4E, 2-cabin, 3-blade Flexofold, Aries LiftUp Windvane, Exturn 300, Jefa DD1,Simrad NX40,Icom M603(VHF)+M802(SSB)
cptgood View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cptgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2020 at 09:41
One to the mast for the sensor , the other probably on the stbd side for the indicator
Hanse320 - Hull#127/08 - Wheel - ST headsail - Yanmar 3YM30 - SD20
SailCS33 View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SailCS33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2020 at 11:30
Gunnar View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gunnar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2020 at 12:03
The link to the SimNet manual has got an extra space at the end which makes it fail to load.
Try to follow the link, when it fails remove the right-hand %20 in the address field and try again.
Hanse 342 #350 "Lathans" - Horten, Norway
SailCS33 View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SailCS33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2020 at 15:45
Great! Thanks
colinc View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote colinc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2020 at 08:22
As the other say, Hanse install a Simnet backbone to various places in the boat to which options are plugged in.   I think you will find the backbone cables are number 1 to x on each end (same number both ends).  So you show backbone cables 1 and 5 in your picture.    You should find similar connection points at various key points in the boat - base of mast, forward under floor for depth/speed, cockpit lockers, cockpit instrument position, etc.   They will either have two number backbone cables  like your picture or one cable and a terminator.   However the previous owner may have changed this - but this bus structure has to remain in place or the network stops working. 

You mention Raymarine kit.   Does any of that link to the Simnet?   Simnet is really NMEA2000 with Simrad special plugs.   So you can drop NMEA2000 onto a Simnet and it will work.  So that backbone could be in use for that?   Or maybe it has it's own separate network / connections.  It takes a while to learn a new boat.  Are you in contact with the previous owner?

Congrats on getting a Hanse.  They are good boats.
SailCS33 View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SailCS33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2020 at 10:14
Originally posted by colinc colinc wrote:

As the other say, Hanse install a Simnet backbone to various places in the boat to which options are plugged in.   I think you will find the backbone cables are number 1 to x on each end (same number both ends).  So you show backbone cables 1 and 5 in your picture.    You should find similar connection points at various key points in the boat - base of mast, forward under floor for depth/speed, cockpit lockers, cockpit instrument position, etc.   They will either have two number backbone cables  like your picture or one cable and a terminator.   However the previous owner may have changed this - but this bus structure has to remain in place or the network stops working. 

You mention Raymarine kit.   Does any of that link to the Simnet?   Simnet is really NMEA2000 with Simrad special plugs.   So you can drop NMEA2000 onto a Simnet and it will work.  So that backbone could be in use for that?   Or maybe it has it's own separate network / connections.  It takes a while to learn a new boat.  Are you in contact with the previous owner?

Congrats on getting a Hanse.  They are good boats.

Thank you, this is very helpful. 

The boat was traded in and sold by the broker. I don't know the previous owner unfortunately.

Raymarine equipment isn't connected with the simrad. In fact even a within raymarine stuff autopilot is not connected to the c80 plotter. But the plotter has external gps, ais and radar. The only simrad equipment is combi si12 speed and depth on starboard side. Two airmar sensors feed into that.

Unfortunately boat came without any notes or records of anything being done. I'm opening everything and anything i can to check for issues and just to learn about the boat.

colinc View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2020 at 17:01
I am still doing that after a year :-)   Top tip is to have a notebook and write down/sketch everything you find.   It is amazing how easy it is to forget (at least for me).  Lots of pictures help too when you away from the boat and want to buy a piece of kit.  Good luck.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>