myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 385/388
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine will not restart when hot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine will not restart when hot
    Posted: 10 August 2020 at 20:43
We have a problem with our Volvo Penta D1-30 when it is hot.

It starts perfectly when cold, but when it has been running for a while it fails to restart.
Control panel is starting up as normal and engine cranks - but does not start. 

Only after cooling down for 30 minutes it starts normally again. 

Any similar experiences or a good advice would be appreciated :-)

StavrosNZ View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StavrosNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2020 at 21:41
Forum has lots of stories of the MDI block thats bolted to the engine being impacted by heat transfer from the engine block to electronics when engine heats up.

Do you have the black plastic MDI control box bolted to the engine? if so fix seems to be remounting it off the engine on bulkhead.
Stephen
2010 H400 #691, Auckland, New Zealand
Sonja View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2020 at 08:49
Thank you for the advise Smile

Yes, I do have a black plastic MDI box bolted to the engine, I will try to unbolt it and see what happens.

I did some further testing yesterday heating up the engine and testing how it restarts.

Measuring on the coolant temperature it restarts perfectly until it reaches 66 deg celcius. After that it needs to cool down to 50 deg. celcuis before it restarts. (repeated several times).

Advise from Volvo mechanics is to change the stop soloniod on the engine. I will try that as well.

sjurusken View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjurusken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2020 at 20:25
Thanks for the information here. 

I reproduced the error by heating up the MDI black box with a normal heating oven. (yes, I am in Norway and we need those.. ) 
You can see the results here.

But what I do not understand, why does this start to be problematic now? the boat is HAnse 385 2018 modell? 
And why do they install ELECTRONICS with a METAL casing on a HOT engine... 
Sonja View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sonja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2020 at 22:17
Hi,

Problem solved. The fault was the stop solonoid. When hot it is 'stuck' and blocks the engine from starting. After replacing the stop soloniod I cannot reproduce the fault, and the engine starts like a dream every time.

One way to check if this is the problem is to loosen the stop soloniod a few rounds and then try to start the engine.. In case it starts, you need to stop the engine manually, as the stop key is out of function.

Post Reply Post Reply