myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 311 / 312 / 315
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Take Down the mast and rig

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matsna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Take Down the mast and rig
    Posted: 08 September 2020 at 10:31
I have bought a Hanse 315 from 2006 this summer. I’ m happy with the boat and just recently found this forum with great ideas and tips on different subjects. Obviously it is a lot to learn:)

My upcoming challenge is to take down the mast and rig for the winter storage on land. I wonder if someone have a simple instruction or just practical advice on how to do it in the beat and most secure way?

Our harbour do have a mast crane with manual winch.

Edited by Matsna - 08 September 2020 at 10:32
Brufan View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brufan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2020 at 14:41
Here's a link : http://www.seldenmast.com/files/1587561657/595-540-E.pdf ;
Have a look page 22-23.
Remove all running rigging from deck and remove cables from mast foot connections (inside the yacht - cabin ceilings access hatch)
Bruno

hanse 355 - 57

S/Y Spicy Ginger

White hull, 2 cabins, Volvo D1-30, Selden rig, removable mainsheet track system, Simrad (now B&G)-Jefa autopilot.
Matsna View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matsna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2020 at 16:58
Thank you! However the link seem to be invalid but I will try to find the document in question:)
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2020 at 17:28
First thing that you need to do is disconnect the electrics. To do this you need to drop part of the headlining. First remove the central light fitting which involves 2 screws & it will drop down on its wires. Then down the middle there is a cover moulding that needs careful removal to avoid chipping it. Store it carefully. The aft edge of the forward port panel needs to be released to enable the corner to drop 150mm. release the screws nearest the corner, but do not touch the curtain rail etc or the hatch trim.
You can now gently prize the corner of the lining down & expose the aerial & wiring junctions. Photo them and do a drawing of the colours. Do not lose the drawing CryCryCry
Disconnect the wires from the connectors on the mast side . This means that you can carefully withdraw them up the pipe. I find it helps to tape the ends together & straighten them out a bit to stop them snagging.
Temporarily stick a couple of screws back in the headlining. Note the size of the white caps as you will almost certainly loose some and a packet of spares will always come in handy.
Remove all the running rigging & the boom. Make sure that you slacken the bottlescrews before you go to the crane.  Remove any protective tapes from rigging. I do not use tape I use plastic tubes to protect oneself from sprit pin ends. Straighten the split pins so they can be removed easily when ready. The final release will be the bottom of the bottle screw from the chain plate. Do not take them off the screws otherwise it is a fiddly job putting them back & you need them back on to put the mast back up. It is awkward trying to re locate threads into bottle screws but easy to locate forks onto chain plates.

Nothing annoys handlers more than waiting for owners to slacken the rig whilst they stand in the cold waiting. If you want put a piece of tape around the threads so that when you re tighten you have an indication of where they were when you had them before you slackened them, it does help.

The actual fitting of the strop etc should be easy enough for the crane handlers so I will not describe. I have done loads at our sailing club & every one is different. Just make sure that you are carefull not to kink the furler

When you lay the mast down do not just let the furler droop on to the floor. obtain a length of 40 * 40 timber about 1.5M long. Poke it up inside the mast with the end sticking out & tie the furler to that.
Then go to the top of the mast & use duct tape to fix a length of 50 * 25 batten to the mast extending past the aerial. tape the aerial to it. even if you remove the aerial you still have to protect the windex etc & you can be pretty sure some blind idiot will walk into it & damage something. So this helps protect it. Put the wire ends into a sealed polythene bag.

Whilst the mast is down attach a 4mm line to the shroud on one side level with the top of the steaming light long enough to reach the shroud on the other side. When the mast is re erected this should stretch taught in front of the mast & rest on top of the light. It will stop the halyard flicking round the mast & hooking on the steaming light when you go to hoist the mainsail.

Over the winter get the family to treat you to a loos rig gauge for Xmas so you get the tension right. It is the best way to get best performance.WinkWink

Edited by samuel - 11 September 2020 at 17:56
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
jeb View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2020 at 17:30
There is no difference taking down a Hanse mast then other boats. If the mast has not been down for several years put some turnbuckle grease on the threads a few days prior to unstepping and make sure you can loosen them. Remove the cables, I would guess they are located on port side of the mast support behind a panel. Remove the halyards (if covered, put in a pilot line). Attach a sling (can be a rope with proper strength) above the COG. If the crane is below your upper spreader you need to secure the sling at the mast foot, but if it’s tall enough it’s easiest to put it under the upper spreader. You will need a long ladder or a swing to be hoisted in to attach the sling. If the crane is taller than the mast I would remove windex and windvane. Attach the wire from the crane on the front side of the mast between the forstey (furler) and the crane. Put some tension (not much, just enough to keep mast standing) and release all stays. You will need one person at the mast foot and one at your furler. Release the furler and hoist the mast to release from the mast foot. Move the mast base and furler to the dock and remove your boat. Lower the mast until it’s horizontal (if your marina has a mast trolly, put it on that). Take the mast away so others can use the crane. 
Remove your standing rig (stays). Wrap mast in plastic and put it away.

Edited by jeb - 11 September 2020 at 17:34
Jesper
Hanse 400e
Matsna View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matsna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2020 at 10:33
Thanks everyone for all good advice on the matter. 
I managed to release and get the mast off but I did have some trouble. It was hard to know where to put the sling and lift the mast with the beat possible balance. We did have some challenge from a strong wind as well. Someone told me that it is better to lift the mast in the top of it instead of from somewhere in the middle. I can see the point with that and it will most likely be the way I do it in spring.
 Post Reply Post Reply