myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 575/588
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Curling boom

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boomjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Curling boom
    Posted: 15 September 2020 at 21:30
Hi there! 

Did anyone of you ever had an electric or  hydraulic furling boom retrofited on his boat?
If yes, which Brand?
Any major difficulties 
?
Thanks for helping,
Black Diamond View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2020 at 15:39

Mine is not hydraulic or electric,  we use the electric winches and it works fine.   I installed a Leisurefurl boom because it was half the price of the FURLBOOM option from Hanse.  I also had it for 10 years on my prior boat, and was happy with it.   In my opinion, adding independent hydraulics or electric drives is not necessary and simply adds more stuff to maintain, repair or keep clean.

I've been able to do everything quite easily (just my wife and I) with the electric winches and the lines run back.    In fact,  I still have a messenger sitting in one of the blocks as a result of moving from the original boom to the Leisurefurl. 

The only difficulty with furling booms is called "Pullback".    If you do not angle the aft end of the boom upward a few degrees the sail will not wind up the way it is in the below picture.    It will "pull back" towards the aft end of the boom or press the bolt rope against the mast.   You will either chafe the bolt rope badly or pull the luff tape apart with the force of the furling (mandrel = screw = simple machine). I simply put a mark on the topping lift and make sure that I raise the boom to that mark before furling.  Whether electric, furling or winch driven,  this is a common problem.

Edited by Black Diamond - 16 September 2020 at 15:44
Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Hanse 575 Build #192, Hull# 161
Newport, RI
Arcadia View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arcadia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2020 at 16:45
With your set up, what do the battens push against with the absence of batten cars.
Leon / ARCADIA
2018 Hanse 588
Sag Harbor, NY
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2020 at 17:48
It's not been an issue.  The batten pockets are reinforced as on any full-batten sail with supports on either side.    Its different than hauling the sail up by hand where cars might really give you some advantage.    Its a bolt-rope system,  like on a headstay,  and pretty simple to deal with.

Where you will see batten issues is when the pull-back/push-forward issue is not managed properly.  Pressing the battens against the mast (even if you had cars) will stress the pockets and cause chafe you don't want.   Same with pull-back except it will pull the luff tape and pocket apart.

Neither of these are big issues.  I include them to ensure you are informed as to the cons as well as the pros.

Edited by Black Diamond - 16 September 2020 at 17:50
Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Newport, RI
boomjack View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boomjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2020 at 14:07
Dear Rick, sorry for my late answer, many thanks for your advice.
I did contact leisurefurl in the US and they adressed me to their rep in France.
But they stated that i have to replace my main sail.... you did not replce yours and it was a normal elvstrom fullbatten, correct?
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2020 at 23:56
sorry.     I built my boat and had the sails made for it.    As I doubted they had 575 HPM sails sitting on the shelf,  I had LeisureFurl send the sailmakers package to Denmark and they were made that way

You can go to a local sailmaker and see what they say once you get the sailmakers package. 

Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Newport, RI
boomjack View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boomjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2020 at 17:30
hi Rick,
thanks, I will speak with the sailmaker as well then.

Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2020 at 18:27
If you want to see what a sailmakers package looks like,  I can send you the one from our boat.    One the length of your boom is finalized, they should be able to give you the package.

I believe that its a flatter cut, but it also needs a bolt rope for the hoist and some other changes...   I know people who have done it, but not knowing what shape your current sail is in,  I'd get quotes both ways and make the decision.

I wanted to get a credit for the FCL sails that came with the boat as I hadn't heard much about them I liked.    It took me a while, but I was able to negotiate an "up-charge" only to move to the HPM sails.   I really like them, and after 3 years they still look great and sail great.   Full battens on the main is one reason.
Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Newport, RI
boomjack View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boomjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2020 at 22:37
hi Rick,
I just spoke today with Leisure Furl France And they will send me a quote for boom and sail, i sait for this and we can compare thé specs ?
Best
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2020 at 22:44
Sure.... lets do this via private messaging.  

Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Newport, RI
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>