myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 575/588
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Toilets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gale Force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Toilets
    Posted: 13 October 2020 at 06:38
Hi

I am looking for advice on the above topic.My boat is a 2014 575 with Jabcso electric toilets that came with the boat.

These toilets have had the most maintenance of any other item on my boat.I find that the motors, belts and any other parts including control panels are just not up to the job.They are very noisy,motors seize belts disintegrate
We do not have guests aboard and are very particular what goes down them but they are not used for sometimes several months at a time.

The build for me just looks cheap

Are there any other brands out there that produce something sturdier and more substantial and not so noisy.

Any advice would be appreciated

Duncan

Gale Force
415 Singapore View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 415 Singapore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2020 at 13:06
Hi, I have been looking after a friends 415 that he can't visit because of the pandemic. I visited his boat every two weeks, ran the engine, AC,  flushed the electric toiletand generally checked the boat. After three months the toilet jammed. S$800 for just the repair kit as opposed to S$450 for a brand new manual one,
Personally I believe that simplicity is good, we have a manual toilet on Night Train and have never had any problems with it. The maintenance kit is S$80 and that replaces all moving / wearing parts and we have done this about every 18 months
All the best
Paul
Paul - Night Train - 415 #136
Matt1 View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2020 at 13:40
Yup! Especially when your toilet goes wrong mid Atlantic! Don't ask me how I know ;-)
Hanse 418 #64 EmBer. Hamble, UK

Black Diamond View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2020 at 13:46
I took the default sea water toilets that came with the boat and replaced them with fresh water, electric toilets after delivery.   I put in TECMA EasyFit units and they have been maintenance free since day 1.   They don't require vacuum pumps or special tanks.  They just fit in the same spot after you run fresh water lines and 12V power to them.       I used one of the salt-water thru-hulls for my watermaker and closed up the other. 

Been happy with the TECMA so far. 

Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Hanse 575 Build #192, Hull# 161
Newport, RI
Wayne's World View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne's World Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2020 at 15:49
We had two Jabsco Quiet Flush and one Jabsco manual fitted to our boat by the shipyard. The Jabsco Lite Flush toilet are complete rubbish and as Duncan found you need to replace, expensive parts regularly. Initially we through one electric toilet out and fitted a Jabsco manual in its' place which worked fine. The other electric toilet we left in place (owners head) because we didn't use it much because normally there is only 2 of us onboard plus that head has a small sullage tank. In the end  (2 years ago)we  fitted 2 Sani Marin electric , freshwater flush toilets in place of the original Jabsco electric toilets. I think the Sani Marin toilet are a copy of the Tecma made in France. We used the same cables from the Lite Flush toilets and the electric control panel is the same size as the Jabsco one. The units we used- I think they are called model 32 fit exactly where the original Jabsco ones were. The Sani Marin actually have a larger, normal shape and are more comfortable. I just had to connect the fresh water to them and they have had not problems in the 2 years and they have had a lot of use because we are onboard 24/7/365. We left the original Jabsco manual toilet in place (just replace the whole thing every few years). If you want more details on the Sani Marin toilet PM me and I will dig out the exact model info for you. 
Wayne W
Cruising, currently in the Caribbean and will head across the Pacific early 2024
G8WVW View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G8WVW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2020 at 16:58
Agree entirely! Shredded belts, replacement cogs and could not stop the damned thing from leaking. Just replaced the entire unit on a seven year old boat that's had hardly any use at all. 

Andrea & Ian
Aboard SV Gabrielle (H445 #164)
Portishead, SW England.
tobo2 View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tobo2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2020 at 09:21
The new serie of Jabsco E-toilets "Deluxe Flush 580XX" are better or at least should be. We have three of them aborad our new 508. (salt water type) BUT: The screws of the seat/cover get loose after a short time. If you want to tighten them you can only access them by unscrewing the whole bowl! What a nuisance! In fact you have to kind of fill the holes for the screws with Sika otherwise the get loose again in no time.  There also was no sealing between the bowl and the wall- a 10 mm gap! Our after sales guy has a lot of warranty work to do!
By the way: On our 470 we had a Tecma with fresh water flushing: much better!

Edited by tobo2 - 14 October 2020 at 09:36
boomjack View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boomjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2020 at 21:29
also replaced original jabsco with tecma fresh and sea water, and never had a problem since 3 years...
Gale Force View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gale Force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2020 at 09:04
Many thanks for all your replies.I have started investigating Tecma as there is an agent for them in Singapore.
Obviously this has been an issue for a lot of us.
Cheers

Duncan
Gale Force View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gale Force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2020 at 09:30
My understanding is that the toilet I am wanting to replace is "Jabsco Lite Flush 58500" can any one confirm this for me as I am away from my boat and don't have access to the details.

Many thanks

Duncan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>