myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 575/588
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Downwind sail for ARC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pzucchel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Downwind sail for ARC
    Posted: 18 October 2020 at 13:36
Hello guys,

I know it's a hot topic.... A great downwind sail for the ARC and tropic circumnavigation ? Parasailor, what size?  Furling Genoa ? Furling Gennaker ? Anybody has a pole for our 575/588? I have been proposed a 6.3m pole, it is almost a mast and it scares me to death. The team will be 4x people, but only 2 to 3 expert sailors... 

Any direct experience is welcome.... 

Hanse588#55
Shawe Thing View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawe Thing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2020 at 12:55
Hi, we are looking at entering the ARC in 2022, I had thought we’d use a Code 0 for downwind sailing so I’m interested to hear from you about your choices and why? We bought our 575 in February this year and as you can imagine we have not had too much sailing this year, originally our plan was to enter the ARC next year but we simply don’t know the boat well enough yet! We will also be changing the main and self tacking jib at the end of next year, any recommendations for sail makers? 
Matt1 View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Matt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2020 at 18:03
personally on that passage I would opt for a poled out headsail or even better, two poles out headsails! You will get far more use out of them than a code sail and they are much more manageable at night or when the wind gets up 
Hanse 418 #64 EmBer. Hamble, UK

tango View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2020 at 21:36
I crossed canaries capt vert and west indies in 2017 with an H375.
We almost never used the furling gennaker or the asymmetric spinnaker.
The major part of the crossing was done with the jib on the pole. and this is the best solution.  
We adjusted the speed with one or two reefs.
a headsail without spinnaker pole is too fickle.
in this sea of trade winds.
the efforts on the rudder are enormous, and I advise you to make a very good revision of your bearings.
(I had problems with the upper bearing, broken screw and the simrad DD1 too).
I think that if I had a hydrovane, the rudder would have been spared and moreover it is a safety and energy saving element.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
tango View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2020 at 21:37
Pzucchel View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pzucchel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2020 at 08:02
I am installing the pole...and a 6m one is scary! Finally I opted for the tradewind sail from northsails, it seemed to me better than the bwr from elvstrom (triradial design... and colored). The hydrovane is the next reflection, emergency rudder and relief for autopilot... But how does it work on a 588?
Hanse588#55
tango View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2020 at 10:44
even with tradewind sail from northsails you will need a spinnaker pole. otherwise the sail to windward will suffer,
If you don't have one, you can pass a pulley at the end of the boom to use as a spinnaker pole, but you will inevitably have to constrain your sail to avoid tearing it.
In the trade winds the wind is often 20 to 30 knots with a sea of 2 to 4 meters. It is not possible to reduce with this kind of sail especially at night when the wind is strong.
for the hydrovane is perfectly adapted to hulls like the Hanse.  
https://hydrovane.com/stories/hanse-430e/

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Black Diamond View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2020 at 20:49
I checked into this with my rigger.     Forespar says you need a 5" diameter fixed length Carbon pole with tapered ends. The telescoping poles won't cut it.

There's a fair amount to think about here. That pole is 23 feet plus long.   It would weight over 55 lbs.   It would cost about US$7-8 K. the track set up is another US$1500  plus labor to install.  Easily US$10,000.00 by the time you are done.   I'm not sure it's worth it for me.   I would think a code-zero on a roller would be far less man-handling and give you decent downwind capability.   Its also an easy setup on a 575 or 588.

My US$0.02

Edited by Black Diamond - 29 November 2020 at 20:50
Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Hanse 575 Build #192, Hull# 161
Newport, RI
Mr Bluesky View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mr Bluesky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2020 at 21:11
I crossed on the ARC in 2017 and experienced various wind conditions, from complete becalm to 30kts.  
I agree that the sea state is the main consideration, it gets swell from several directions at the same time, which will cause the sails to power up and drop off consistently. A pole on the windward ST is a good solution, with a second ST in the same foil, with sheet guided through the boom end.
A Code Z or A sail for the light air days is a must, or you will just drift.  
Assume you will have 15-25kts most of the way with rolly conditions, and the autohelm will be on overtime 24/7.  A windvane would be on my boat next time, but not sure they are suitable for 25 ton boats, check with manufacturers.
Luna, a 575 crossed the same year, and I’m pretty sure they ran a BWR most of the way, but had a pole for the windward side so can’t get away from that.
Good luck with the crossing, and take plenty of books to read as it’s a long way ;)
Mr Blue Sky - 385 #359 - Sail safe sail Hanse.
Pzucchel View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pzucchel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2020 at 20:27
I am installing the same configuration. 6m40 carbon pole, tradewind sail from northsail. Like this, I don't probably need a parasailor or gennaker. FYI the tradewind sail is two g0 glued together, I went for the heavier norlon 250 and uv paint for keeping the sail on the furling halyard... 
Hanse588#55
 Post Reply Post Reply