myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 430
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Removing 2007 era stanchions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2020 at 13:49
To avoid expensive equipment just  use the bottom of an old acrow prop and adapt that. There are thousands of them all over the world & it must be possible to get one. Take the top bit out as you do not need it. Drill hole in the bottom plate & place it over the base so it pushes onto that rather than the deck. Make sure that the through pin is above the top of the stanchion & hook that to the stanchion with a bit of chain & wind it up. The hardest part is drilling a 1 inch hole in the bottom plate. Some already have a hole so you may be lucky & find one.

Edited by samuel - 09 November 2020 at 13:51
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
Dogscout View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogscout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2020 at 06:20
So I just want to thank everyone for their input and ideas.  In the end I have bought new bases to go with my new stanchions.  The simple cost of just putting new ones in has beat trying to separate the bent stanchions from the original bases.  If I were not in a marina 6000 miles from my tools I would try to fab up a jack system.

I will post some pics when the new bases arrive and I get on with the work.

Edited by Dogscout - 20 November 2020 at 06:21
Adventure awaits
Interlude View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Interlude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2020 at 22:46
Assuming that you have removed the stainless steel stanchion from the aluminium foot using one of the ingenuous methods discussed, is it possible to remove (or tighten) the foot from above, or does it need access from below the deck? 

I am hoping that a socket spanner can access a bolt from above, to tighten a slightly loose foot. Assuming there is a glassed in plate below the deck!

Interlude 342#241
Dogscout View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogscout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2020 at 01:04
On the rear port stanchion there is a Threaded ALU plate under the deck and I believe that if you got the stanchion out then a thin walled socket might work.  I cannot get the remains of the stanchion out so I will likely take a sawzall to it and expose the bolt head.  I'm waiting for the new bases to arrive before I go crazy cutting stuff up.

On the gate stanchion on the port side I found nuts below the deck however after removing the nuts I was not able to pull upwards and remove the gate.  Again, I'm not going in destructively until the new bases are here.  It could just be sikaflex holding it tight.  

I was able to buy the new stanchions from Boatoon and the new bases are on the way.  
Adventure awaits
jeb View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2020 at 08:43
I’m in the process of adding gates to my 2006 Hanse 400 and that involves removing 2 bases and then mount 8 of them in new positions. On this model there are nut and washers (so no aluplates). The bolt is not held I place in the base so the stanchion must off some way (mine were easy). Access from below is not the best since removal of the ceiling in both the head and kitchen is not doable without demolition.
Jesper
Hanse 400e
Dogscout View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogscout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2020 at 07:27
So what i found was that the corrosion of the AL base tightened the plastic sleeve and would not easily release the stainless stanchion.  Everyone that I cut into has water in it and salt and crud.  The weep holes did not do their job.  I expect that the hydraulic jack tool will work well and that us a lot of force needed to pull them out.  My stanchions had bent and the pipe of that tool would need to accommodate that also.  I cut off the remains of the stanchion and then cut vertically down across the base.  I also cut horizontally across and broke out the last bit of stainless.  This allowed me to get at the bolt head.  Three of the stanchions had bolts into embedded AL plates, but the gates and mid stanchions just had a nut below and I had to remove paneling.  

All in all it was easy but like many boat jobs it was a pain in the ass.

Adventure awaits
350Bob View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 350Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2020 at 13:25
Thanks for the update, it is really useful to have this information shared. Did you make any modifications on the new ones to improve the drainage?

Bob
H350 #205
Dogscout View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogscout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2020 at 14:20
No I did not make any modifications.  I'm just glad its done, and I hope to never have to do it again.  Or if I ever do it again I hope I am near tools.  I have been in Greece since October and the Lockdown has severely limited my access to tools and parts.
Adventure awaits
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12