myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 341 / 342
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Buying new Jefa rudder, what should I order?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunnar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buying new Jefa rudder, what should I order?
    Posted: 25 November 2020 at 20:49
I'm keen on getting the Jefa replacement rudder for my 342.
However, I'm a little bit confused about what to order. My late 2005 342 with wheel steering and the deep/standard keel should for sure have this one: https://jefa.com/ftp/old_boat_spare_parts/Hanse/Hanse_342/Hanse_342-Replacement_rudder_wheel.pdf.
I understand that some other 342 owners already have done the swap, so I seek advice:
- Has Jefa the complete rudder with stock as an item I can order? In the price list, it seems like I have to order blade and stock separately.
- Is it necessary or at least a good idea to get new lower and upper bearings, too?
I'm very happy if someone who has done this upgrade already would share their experience with me!

Best regards, Gunnar
Hanse 342 #350 "Lathans" - Horten, Norway
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2020 at 21:44
PM Johan Hackman he did a long thread on the subject, although his boat is tiller steered.
It would seem sensible to buy the refurb rollers for the relatively low cost at this stage. It is not a complete bearing just the rollers & cages
I am not sure about the 342 as I have a 311 but I had to order my rudder in an emergency & take what they had in production. This meant that I had to accept one with the standard 87.26 degree angle on the top of the blade. This does not match the angle of the hull, but leaves an angled gap. Jefa said that they can alter their mould to adjust this angle a small amount, so that the rudder fits the hull. This is good for steering as it reduces stalling. However, I have not noticed this. I could not go down this route as it would have caused a delay of several weeks.
So I suggest that you check your existing rudder & if necessary ask Jefa to adjust the top to match. It does (I believe) reduce the length of the blade by up to 20mm but that is negligible.At the time , it was explained that they place a small packing in the top of the mould to form the angle.
Of course it may be that the 87 degrees is made to suit the 342 anyway & it is only the 311 that needs the alteration

Edited by samuel - 25 November 2020 at 22:09
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
Koppiekrou View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Koppiekrou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2020 at 06:10
Hi Gunnar, why are you keen to replace the rudder? 

Frank
291 4Ever - 341 Eternal Flame and now a Hanse 371 '05 Karma - Shoal draft - 2 cabin - 40hp - Variprofile
Gunnar View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunnar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2020 at 07:17
@Samuel: Thanks for good advice, now I already know more on how to proceed!
@Frank: I hope/believe that with a deeper/better rudder my boat will not so easily broach in a gust. My current rudder is 136 cm deep, while the Jefa is 160 according to the drawings.
cptgood View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cptgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2020 at 09:31
Hi,
I changed the rudder last year (RUD34) . the stock  presented some galvanic corrosion and the water had cracked the fiberglass.
I ordered the complete rudder after finding the right one for  my boat on the Jefa site. I ordered thru the jefa dealer in Italy.
It took a couple of months to have it delivered. It only needed to be keyed, primed and coated with antifoul. I used International primer and antifouling near the stock with no metallic stuff.
Bearings were fine. 

Edited by cptgood - 26 November 2020 at 09:43
Hanse320 - Hull#127/08 - Wheel - ST headsail - Yanmar 3YM30 - SD20
Matt1 View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2020 at 09:36
Like others I'm intrigued to know why you want to change a rudder? Surely a rudder should last the lifetime of the boat (unless damaged, or you are seeking some performance gain?)
Hanse 418 #64 EmBer. Hamble, UK

Gunnar View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunnar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2020 at 10:23
Originally posted by Matt1 Matt1 wrote:

Like others I'm intrigued to know why you want to change a rudder? Surely a rudder should last the lifetime of the boat (unless damaged, or you are seeking some performance gain?)
This is purely a question of performance. The 342 rudder story, as far as I have understood: At some time in production, Hanse decided to use the same rudder on the short and deep draft models. Thus, my 342 #350 (deep draft) has a somewhat shorter rudder than optimal for performance. I also read that other 342 owners that made this upgrade are very satisfied.
Since I'm racing my 342 I'm keen on getting the most out of my boat. For the same reason, I upgraded my sails to Elvstrom EPEX some years ago. A significant cost, but also a significant satisfaction! :-)
Captain Cook View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2020 at 10:47
When buying Hanse spare parts, check boatoon for price comparison. Some times their prices are reasonable, other times not. Jefa has always time and patience to guide you via phone or email. If you visit the factory in Denmark, you may even find a rudder at a better bargain, cutting out the middlemen.
https://hanse.boatoon.com/en/shop/article/27228/Rudder-for-Hanse-H3xx-long

Edited by Captain Cook - 26 November 2020 at 10:49
Freya H400 #27 (2006), 40HP 3JH4E, 2-cabin, 3-blade Flexofold, Aries LiftUp Windvane, Exturn 300, Jefa DD1,Simrad NX40,Icom M603(VHF)+M802(SSB)
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2020 at 12:52
Be careful when buying a rudder by someone other than Jefa.
This was my original from my 2003 built boat. It has the 3 splayed struts as shown in the picture of the cheaper rudder. It split down the centre vertically & was never fully filled with foam

i have now found a picture of my new rudder explaining what i meant about rudder fit at the top
This will promote rudder stalling & hence may not help you attempts to control a broach.
However, it has to be said that there are other ways to prevent broaching & rig set up is a factor

Edited by samuel - 26 November 2020 at 20:56
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
H8jer View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H8jer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2020 at 19:20
On my previous hanse (311). The old rudder was of very bad quality from poland. At one point the lower bearing house got so corroded that it could not keep the bearing/rollers in place. So a new bearing house was needed. But then I got a good offer when visiting the Jefa factory for advice.
Got a new 130mm tube and nylon bearings + a rudder Rud34 or something similar. It was a DIY job, and got much help from a skilled friend. The tupe needs lots of fiberglass. The rudder should breake before the tube...
Highly recommend Jefa.
/H8jer

Edited by H8jer - 26 November 2020 at 19:21
Hanse 370#487 30HP 3-cabin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>