myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 341 / 342
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Buying new Jefa rudder, what should I order?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H8jer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2020 at 19:26
Originally posted by samuel samuel wrote:

it is only the 311 that needs the alteration

I am not sure this is correct anymore. When I ordered my new rudder, they had the old one for measuerment because I mentioned the you was not satisfied with the angel. I belive there are now two options for the 311
Hanse 370#487 30HP 3-cabin
Johan Hackman View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2020 at 09:09

PM Johan Hackman he did a long thread on the subject, although his boat is tiller steered.

Although I have written many long posts but I don't recall writing one on this particular subject.

I agree that sticking with Jefa seems a lot better than looking for another manufacturer. And if there is no problem with the bearings you should not have to replace them. I had my bottom bearing replaced because the one that came with the boat got the steering completely stuck.

I think it is important to remember that the rudder is not all about size, it is also about profile and thickness.

I had my rudder replaced under warranty in 2008 (when the boat was only 3 years old) for pretty much the same reason Samuel replaced his. The first rudder Hanse sent was the short version which I refused to accept.

I am not entirely happy with my rudder. I think it is thinner than the Jefa version which in theory gives my a faster boat but also one that broaches more easily. A thicker rudder is better for preventing this so it not just the size of the rudder that matters. Also, my rudder has a strange profile that is very sensitive to growth. If I don't brush it clean I will get a weird feel in my tiller. If my boat had a wheel I would probably never have noticed.

I would love to have the Jefa rudder but it is too expensive and I will continue to brush my rudder clean.

Johan

Edited by Johan Hackman - 27 November 2020 at 09:10
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2020 at 11:00
Originally posted by Johan Hackman Johan Hackman wrote:

PM Johan Hackman he did a long thread on the subject, although his boat is tiller steered.

Although I have written many long posts but I don't recall writing one on this particular subject.
Johan

And there was me thinking that you were the expert on rudders for the 34 -- i still think you areThumbs Up.

As an aside- Apart from the standard, I seem to recall that Jefa did a racier version with a different profile. It may be worth checking. if this is corect & if it would be to one's advantage to adopt that pattern, if available

Edited by samuel - 27 November 2020 at 11:05
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
Gunnar View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunnar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2021 at 08:54
I'm impressed by Jefa, nothing is left to chance! They sent me this specification of the 342 rudder, and as far as I have been able to see, it will fit exactly.
So I ordered it, and will receive it around the start of March. I did not order a replacement lower bearing, I will wait until I remove the old rudder and then verify the make and state of it.
Hanse 342 #350 "Lathans" - Horten, Norway
Gunnar View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunnar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2021 at 20:23

Old and new rudder side by side
Gunnar View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunnar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 09:08

Now it's done, just looking forward to launch this week!
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2021 at 15:09
Gunnar, how much did you pay for your new rudder?

Johan
Gunnar View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunnar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2021 at 07:34
The new rudder discharged my account by 32000 NOK, including 25% VAT.
Was it worth it? Yes, definitely.
Just getting such a good-looking rudder made me happy, and as it resists broaching much better than the old one it even has a practical purpose, too. ;-)

Edited by Gunnar - 24 October 2021 at 07:38
Interlude View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Interlude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2021 at 03:58
I agree the Jefa 342/341 (deep profile, wheel steered) rudder is much better than the original supplied with the boat in 2004, presumably from Poland. The Jefa rudder was about 5cm shorter than the original (from memory), and it's performance is much better, particularly regarding broaching. The original rudder suffered from corrosion on the shaft, I was directed by the yard not to sail in open waters after they found the corrosion - luckily I have Sydney Harbour to play in so not an issue.
Interlude 342#241
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2021 at 07:55
Jim, I believe you wrote somewhere that the Jefa rudder is also slightly thicker than the original?

Johan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>