myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 575/588
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tender for 588?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barnacle_Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tender for 588?
    Posted: 26 December 2020 at 02:28
I plan on taking delivery of a new 588 next summer. Curious if folks are buying the Williams tender or using another dinghy for tender? Likewise, with the virus situation, have any new owners been able to visit the factory during production? How was the reception? Thank you in advance and Merry Christmas!
Wayne's World View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne's World Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2020 at 11:04
Barnacle,

We have a 310 Zodica Cadet RIB which fits in our 575 garage once about 50% deflated. You need to partly deflate the Williams JT and remove the steering wheel (has a quick release) it get it in the 575 garage. Personally I think the WJT is a waste of money because they have no space in them - max 3 people, are heavy and costs heaps $. If you want to go 40kn in your tender then they are great. Good luck with the 588.
Wayne W
Cruising, currently in the Caribbean and will head across the Pacific early 2024
S&J View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2020 at 13:51
I also have a boat on order - currently in production and I have a HIN number so shouldn't be too far off completion.  However I understand that that factory has stopped working until 10 January due to the CV19 lockdown in Germany.  So this is introducing some delays in production.
Stupidly, I didn't arrange a factory tour during the 3 years that I over-wintered at Greifswald with my previous boat.  I understand that tours have not been available this year due to CV19 but please let me know if you hear otherwise.
Are you having the new boat shipped to USA or picking her up in Europe?
All very exciting.
H458 #159 Primal Mediterranean cruising
Black Diamond View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2020 at 20:43
I looked at the price of the Williams tender ($22K at the time) and the stern gate option required for it (another $18K) and decided I could do better for a lot less.    The Williams is fun to be sure, but its small and heavy (something like 600lbs).  

Like Wayne and others,  I ended up with an AB 9.6 (about 10') aluminum RIB.   The aluminum makes it a lot lighter.   Its only about 105lbs with the bow locker and a level floor/bilge (as opposed to a V bottom to stand on).  If you deflate the stern tubes a bit more you can probably get an 11.5' RIB in there.  

I designed a roller system based upon easily available trailer rollers and a couple of starboard rails for mounting.   A Hurley winch with a wireless remote pulls the RIB into the garage.     The only real custom work was to add a roller to the stern gate which I put on and take off to replace the $18,000 option from HANSE.  With only 105 lbs rather than 600 lbs there is really no need to reinforce the hydraulics or the gate further.   The material cost was less than US$800.00 with some custom steel work and installation costing me a few grand on top of that.   Far less than US$40,000.   Works fine.     Let me know if you are interested and I'll send you pictures via PM.

Oh.. and get the compressor for inflating the dinghy.  Its a very cost-effective option and you will be glad you have it.

I did all this in the US.  I found the after-factory stuff in Griefswald to be slow and expensive.  Better to get it where you can hold people accountable for the quality and watch the work being done.

We visited the factory twice.   Once in the fall when I was deciding whether I would buy a HANSE and wanted to check out the production quality/build process.   The second time when our boat was a week or so from being finished and I wanted to validate the build we ordered and check quality again.  I'd highly recommend it, but these aren't normal times.    Remember.. if your boat is finished at the factory in May it can take til August to get it to the US.  Unless you stay on top of them and keep pushing.

Edited by Black Diamond - 27 December 2020 at 20:52
Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Hanse 575 Build #192, Hull# 161
Newport, RI
marcopone View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marcopone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2021 at 19:28
On my 575 I managed to fit in the garage a Highfield 380.
very good size and nice speed with a Yamaha 25hp
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2021 at 19:30
25hp on a 9' dinghy?   That must move pretty well...

Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Newport, RI
marcopone View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marcopone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2021 at 19:44
It’s not 9’ !
the Highfield 380 cm. is 12,67’
perfect size motor 
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2021 at 01:50
I stand corrected...   At the time I bought my dinghy (a 9'6" AB Aluminum RIB) the highfield was its competition.   I drifted back to what I knew then...

Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Newport, RI
boomjack View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boomjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2021 at 14:00
hi Marcopone,

And how do you manage to store thé engine in thé garage? Must Be heavy?
marcopone View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marcopone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2021 at 15:09
No, I do not store the engine in the garage.
With the help of a davit (small crane, I am not sure about the english word) I lift it up to a plate fixed to the stern pulpit, normal position for an outboard.
I admit, not so smooth operation.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>