myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 320
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jabsco compact toilet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin&Rene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2021 at 14:10
Merinalle

does the "guards against . . waste backflow" claim work, as I change out the Joker valve on my 2003 pump on a fairly regular basis and I make sure I always have a spare onboard?
Martin&Rene Hanse 341 Dipper Wheel steering, 3 cabin layout, normally based in Scotland
perry View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote perry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2021 at 16:16
I would reccommend you replace the pump with a new Twist Lock pump complete. The T&L pump fits in place of your pump.
If your Yacht is like my 315, the holding tank is above the toilet, so only the Joker valve in the pump base stops back flow. But fit the twist Lock pump and you have a second valve to stop a Backflow Horrow. Joker valves start to leak back after a year or so uf regular use. The thought of a half full holding tank running back into toilet doesnt bear thinking?

To change pump without leakage:- shut of inlet water sea cock, pump bowl empty, use a vacuum pump [like the one used to drain engine oil] pump last drops from bowl, remove the top of pump tilt the pump shaft sideways so any water on top of pump plunger drains to below plumger, remove plunger,use vacuum pump to empty residue pump chamber,  disconnect the water inlet pipe, and outlet to the toilet bowl, now remove 4 screws at base of pump, remove pump and joker valve.
Now fit new pump with its new joker valve, do not overtighten the self tapping srcews, when you start the threads make sure they run into the existing thread, do not use any sealer or goop, the rubber parts seal themselves.

You may find a video on the Jabsco webbsite which could help, But my method works I've done it recently.

Current Yacht Hanse 315 2007
Last Yacht Hanse 301 Round GB in 2017
Captain Cook View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2021 at 23:10
Perry:
If you visit boatoon.com, you will see, that the pipe from the toilet ends at the top of the tank, so the "Backflow Horror" is a myth. The brown goo flowing back, is coming from inside the pipe, not the tank. Just pump enough strokes to ensure that there is clean sea-water in the pipe.
The Joker valve has caused harsh remarks over time. A friend of mine cruising the oceans gave the advice to put half a cup of sunflower or rapeseed-oil in the toilet when leaving the boat for a while. I have tried this, and it seems to help some. Another thing, which it is not very pleasant, is when the backflow is a brownish colour. The tube/pipe from the Jabsco to the top of the tank (Yes the waste is pumped to the top of the tank), is maybe 50mm in diameter, and some 1600mm long, so it can contain 3,14 liters of water/waste. This indicates, that No.1 needs 8-10 strokes of the pump, while No.2 will need 12-15 strokes to be sure the waste has left the pipe.
This is a dilemma for sailors with small tanks, because the tank will mostly be filled with sea-water.

Edited by Captain Cook - 11 January 2021 at 23:13
Freya H400 #27 (2006), 40HP 3JH4E, 2-cabin, 3-blade Flexofold, Aries LiftUp Windvane, Exturn 300, Jefa DD1,Simrad NX40,Icom M603(VHF)+M802(SSB)
Merinalle View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merinalle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2021 at 19:35

Martin&Rene,

Unfortunately, I don’t have any experience of the older model. With the Twist and Lock, the symptoms of leaking joker valve are bubbling sound from the bowl, and slow minor rise of water level there. I can recall that on some circumstances the pump handle intends to rise, too. Locking the handle prevents that, but I can’t estimate what could be difference if the handle was left unlocked. Anyway, if the joker valve is leaking, it must be replaced sooner or later. The toilet stays still fully usable, but the sound reminds that the unpleasant work is waiting.

I have changed the joker valve three or four times during the 13 years. One case was at the beginning of the season - I had used too much vinegar before servicing the system at autumn. Normally I disassemble, clean and dry the pump before winter, and add silicone crease before assembling it. Just in case, I do have a spare pump and extra joker valve on boat.

As Captain Cook described, the end of the emptying pipe is at the top of the holding tank. The diameter of the hose is only 38 mm, so the volume is some 1.1 litres/meter. HPNielsen has recently shared a good picture of an opened holding tank:

https://myhanse.com/change-of-toilet-hose_topic12188_page2.html

320#166
Martin&Rene View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin&Rene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2021 at 12:28
Thanks for the comments, so a switch to a T&L pump is on the list for jobs if we get back to the yacht this year.  

To stop the pump squeaking I wipe the pump shaft with olive oil occasionally.  On one occasion, I used rapeseed oil and it basically dissolved the rubber bumper washer under the pump handle to a gooey mess.  
Martin&Rene Hanse 341 Dipper Wheel steering, 3 cabin layout, normally based in Scotland
perry View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote perry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2021 at 20:32
I was working on my 315 this afternoon, and had a thought to check of plumbing. My toilet definitely pumps into bottom of holding tank, now mabe the inlet pipe goes on up to top of tank?. But when I pump toilet and listen to the water movement it doesnt sound that way. I may never know unless I cut an inspection hole?
I did observe when I fitted Twist lock pump that in the twist lock position the end of the plunger holds fast closed the flap valve. So its worth having.
By the way today I fitted a Sterling Alternator controller, seems to be working and giving high charge at low revs.
Perry
Current Yacht Hanse 315 2007
Last Yacht Hanse 301 Round GB in 2017
Captain Cook View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2021 at 21:48
It seems that practically all Hanses including H315(NEW)  transports the waste to the top of the tank.
(Maybe H315 (Old) is an exception?)
This search on boatoon for a waste tank is again one of the situations where you should not search for your specific model, but just search for "waste tank" in general.

Edited by Captain Cook - 13 January 2021 at 23:48
Freya H400 #27 (2006), 40HP 3JH4E, 2-cabin, 3-blade Flexofold, Aries LiftUp Windvane, Exturn 300, Jefa DD1,Simrad NX40,Icom M603(VHF)+M802(SSB)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12