myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 415/418
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

415 /418 watch outs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pennine star Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 415 /418 watch outs
    Posted: 12 January 2021 at 15:28
good afternoon 

I am new to the forum as recently sold my beloved Moody 31 and looking to move up to a 415/418

Has anyone any advice on known faults problems with either model such as:

Sea cocks - not sure which type are standard and thus expected life 
Electronic installation - 
Props - views on folding / fixed 
Engine - is the upgrade a must or just nice to have
Hardware? 

Any other extras you found are absolute gems thus recommend 

I am looking at the 3 cabin 2 heads thus any feedback on that model will also be great 

Apologies for the non specific message 

Appreciate all feedback

Many thanks

Adam 
Matt1 View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2021 at 09:49
Hi Adam - Welcome to the forum. I made a similar transition from my beloved (built from a kit) Hunter Channel 31 to a 418 two seasons ago. I honestly thought the Channel 31 was the best boat in the world ….but I'm seriously impressed with how things have moved on since the early 2000's. I'm very happy with my 418, which is much less "physical" to sail than the 31' despite being much bigger. Hanse and J&V have really nailed some easy handling and nice performance aspects to this design. Have you seen the YM review this month?
Having done a bit of amateur boat building (x2 kit Hunters) I can say I'm actually pretty impressed with the standard of Hanse's. There are a fair number of bulkheads laminated to the hull and it's all very well executed. I have a lot of confidence in the boat offshore.

I've not really found anything to fault yet. I think my only negative concern would be around the electrics - and it's not a fault or anything that has gone wrong - more a comment that the modern reliance on PCB's would render it very hard to diagnose and fix issues at sea. There's a whole new world of complexity to these boats than a few simple 12v circuits my last boat had! But I'm sure that comment would apply to any current boat manufacturer, in fact I think Bavaria's are even more complex!

If I were doing an extended passage (& I plan to in the future) I would really get to know the electrics well and potentially build in some redundancy or "get me out of jail" hacks.

Good luck with your purchase, you won't regret it ;-)
Hanse 418 #64 EmBer. Hamble, UK

Matt1 View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2021 at 09:55
Sorry, in response to your specific questions, I should have added;

There are a few threads on here about seacocks. For now I've adopted the view that the manufacturer must know what they were doing with the plastic through hulls married to a bronze / DZR? valve. I may come back to this when the boat is 5 yrs old

I have the std engine and upgraded from a fixed two blade to a three blade flex o fold after the first season, which as you would expect has been transformative under sail but significantly better under power too. I think I posted the speed data on an earlier 418 thread. I would personally class this upgrade as "essential". It's doing the boat no justice to fit a small 2 blade prop

Edited by Matt1 - 13 January 2021 at 09:59

Pennine star View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pennine star Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2021 at 13:49
Thank you Matt

Appreciate your advice. Electronics are certainly going the same as cars just as I was learning my way round a Multimeter!

I have the January YM although not read it yet, is that the issue you refer to as cannot seen anything for the Hanse 418 specifically? I do not appear to have February yet thus perhaps that's the edition with the 418

Which layout do you have out of interest?

regards and thanks again

Adam
Ratbasher View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratbasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2021 at 14:12
I think that Matt's being nicely modest in his reference to February's edition of the UK's 'Yachting Monthly' magazine.  Unless I'm very much mistaken its his boat that's featured and what a lovely vessel she is - I'm particularly impressed with the wine stowage!

The article contrasts and compares the 418 with the 348 and makes interesting reading for anyone interested in the marque.  
H400 (2008) 'Wight Leopard', Gosport UK
S&J View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2021 at 14:28
Welcome to the forum and the world of Hanse.

Matt's 418 is featured in the Feb edition of YM which came out a week or so back.
I have no specific experience of the 418 but owned a 385 from new for 6 years and I'm now waiting for a new 458.
I also moved up from an older boat, although in my case I knew that the old boat was less than perfect, but even so I was blown away by the sheer ability of the Hanse.  I feel it is a fast but safe boat - light steering an excellent grip - never rounded up on me despite the occasional provocation in stronger winds!  I usually sail with inexperienced crew and often solo.

I had a 2 cabin layout and loved having the massive aft storage and larger galley - something that will not be as good on the 3m longer 458.

The deck hardware is great and the Elvstrom FCL sails worked well.  New boats have Quantum sails and I don't know much about them yet.  Not sure if you are buying new or secondhand, but if the latter, look for a boat with a Selden rig.  Again, from my 385 experience there were at least 2 other spar manufacturers used prior to about 2015.

The B&G kit offers lots of features however this was where I had the majority of warranty claims.  I had the mast sensor replaced twice, depth sensor, MFD and GoFree all replaced once.  There were known issues with the mast sensor design which have now been resolved.

Engine wise, I had the standard engine and never had a need for more. This was coupled with a Gori 2 blade folding prop.  I would echo Matt in suggesting a folding prop is worthwhile for keen sailing.

On a less positive note, it is apparent that the method of construction makes it rather difficult to access or replace some systems as they are built in before the cabinet work or before the hull and deck are joined.  As Matt suggests, most of the other volume manufacturers at this price point are the same.  All the same it would be nice to have better conduits in place for additional wiring or pipes.  There are some, but not enough.

Other extras that I would go for:
* gates in the side decks
* bowthruster (marginal on 418 but I'm getting one for the 458)
* upgrade to anchor roller

If you are buying new, talk to your dealer (Phil at IM if you are in the UK) about things that may be better to fit on commissioning (canvas, additional flexiteek, additional sails etc).  And be aware that there are usually excellent deals during July and August if you are looking for 2022 delivery.

Edited by S&J - 13 January 2021 at 14:29
H458 #159 Primal Mediterranean cruising
Matt1 View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2021 at 15:55
Originally posted by Ratbasher Ratbasher wrote:

- I'm particularly impressed with the wine stowage!

Aww..Thanks and I'm very happy with your comment as I pretty much leant on Mr Snook to include the wine rack picture....not least because I had 4 bottles of rather fine "Helmsman's" Shiraz from Bob Oatley's vineyard.

Matt1 View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2021 at 16:17
Originally posted by Pennine star Pennine star wrote:

Thank you Matt

Appreciate your advice. Electronics are certainly going the same as cars just as I was learning my way round a Multimeter!

I have the January YM although not read it yet, is that the issue you refer to as cannot seen anything for the Hanse 418 specifically? I do not appear to have February yet thus perhaps that's the edition with the 418

Which layout do you have out of interest?

regards and thanks again

Adam

The car analogy with electronics is a good one. I would be clueless trying to repair a car now!

I have the twin aft cabin, one head version. It was IMG's demo boat so not spec'd by me. I would have gone for the single aft cabin but in hindsight the extra cabin has been useful so I'm glad they spec'd it! As IMG said to me at the time; you can use the cabin for stowage if you want, but that doesn't work the other way round eg using the locker as a cabin!
My partner and I particularly wanted a boat with an Island berth so we didn't disturb each other getting up at night, like we did on the 31. Interestingly the YM review was very positive about the owners cabin on the 418 in their review (I don't think the 415 has the same arrangement?). My personal view is you would lose a lot with the second head on this size of boat but of course everyone's needs are different and I say that having never seen the 2nd head version!

Big +1 to everything Stuart said above - He put the outstanding sailing characteristics better than I did and if you look on the thread about Solar panels and me fitting a USB socket you will see the fun we all have running cables (but I'm sure all modern boats are the same)

Matt1 View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2021 at 17:22
Adam  - If you want to see some video of the 418 in action I put all my short clips into a little (non edited) youtube clip.
Last season being the pandemic, and my GF shielding, all of these clips were whilst singlehanded (filming gave me something to do!). I won't win an Oscar but it gives you and idea ;-)

In the first clip of the sailing note how little the helm is moving on autopilot. This was deceptively gusty conditions, albeit in flat water, and it illustrates how balanced she is

Pennine star View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pennine star Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2021 at 18:20
Hi and thank you for this 

I will certainly watch out for a selden rig, we are looking post 2015 so should be achievable

I do have the bow thruster as a must mainly because I think I was spoilt with the maneuverability of my 31 thus probably not as good in a marina as I think I am. The side gate is also something I had not considered but would certainly be helpful as I would berth side to

New is probably beyond the budget unless of course the discounts are massive

thanks again

Adam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>