myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 575/588
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AIS Transmission issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ellipsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AIS Transmission issue
    Posted: 25 January 2021 at 15:40
Hello all I am a new Hanse owner 2016, 575.. I picked up the boat in Curacao and have been sailing the Dutch Antilles, I have been having a problem with my AID NAIS 400 , I updated the software on the unit and reprogrammed the proper vessel info.. But apparently every time I get a little off shore maybe 1/2 kilometer the unit cuts out and stops transmitting, I have no problem receiving and seeing other vessels but I disappear until I get close to land again..  I know that there is only on antenna on the mast and I am sure it shares the VHF signal, I was told the problem could be could be that I have a 50 OHM cable and not a 100 Ohm cable... ,Anyway the boat is a 2016.. Open to suggestions or if anyone else had this problem 

Mike
High Time View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Time Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2021 at 16:04
Why do you believe the "unit cuts out and stops transmitting"? Have you checked with a nearby boat when you're away from shore?
It seems more likely that you are transmitting a weak signal, probably due to antenna issues. 
Is your antenna good for VHF transmission - say more than 10 miles to another boat (not to a more powerful shore station)? 
Is there an active splitter in the antenna line that properly shares the antenna between the VHF and AIS? If there is, maybe it's faulty?
One solution is to fit a separate antenna for the AIS on the stern rail, or a separate pole at the stern. Height is not essential for the AIS antenna and a second antenna gives you redundancy in case the mast antenna fails (or the mast falls down!).
Roger

High Time (415 #038)
Ellipsis View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ellipsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2021 at 16:12
The VHF transmits and receives fine, so yes I am suspect that the splitter by the nav station is part of the issue.. And I was told that I could use a separate antenna, but if I can fix this issue without having to mount a separate antenna that would be a better solution.. 
Arcadia View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arcadia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2021 at 17:46
Hi mike.  Try bypassing the splitter and running the mast antenna directly to your AIS temporarily.  Do it next time you’re  offshore and you can use marine traffic to verify transmission. 
Leon / ARCADIA
2018 Hanse 588
Sag Harbor, NY
Black Diamond View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2021 at 01:32
I agree..   Its more than likely you are transmitting a weak signal.     You can check on MarineTraffic.Com or some other web site,  or just ask another boat if they see you.     

Now, prefacing what I am about to say with the announcement that I have not done it yet on my 575,   I never liked the idea of sharing the antenna.   I'm sure it works fine 99.999% of the time, but on my prior boats I always put a second VHF antenna on the stern (or wherever).   If the masthead antenna got fried I had a backup antenna.   I could just pull the cable and connect it to the VHF if needed.    It also eliminated the remote chance of conflict.   Its a sailboat,  and given they don't go very fast,  its not going to broadcast a signal as often as a powerboat going 25kts.   Still....

Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Hanse 575 Build #192, Hull# 161
Newport, RI
Wayne's World View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne's World Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2021 at 13:00
Mike, 

Good to see you are in Aruba. We had a similar problem and I removed the splitter and had it checked by a "tech" in Greece who said it was faulty. I bought a new splitter and replaced it and still had the same problem. In the end I took the chance and bought a new AIS unit and fitted same and the system then worked perfectly. Our AIS unit was about 3.5 years old when it had problems - just out of their 3 year warranty. Good luck.
Wayne W
Cruising, currently in the Caribbean and will head across the Pacific early 2024
Ian Coverdale View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Coverdale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2021 at 18:34
Possible your splitter has been zapped by nearby lightning discharge.

Ian & Andrea
SV Gabrielle (H445)
Liveaboards - currently Gosport UK for winter 2023/24.
www.facebook.com/sailinggabrielle
Arcadia View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arcadia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2021 at 19:51
Maybe you should check the range on your VHF transmission while you’re at it.  People may be receiving you but maybe not at long range.
Leon / ARCADIA
2018 Hanse 588
Sag Harbor, NY
 Post Reply Post Reply