myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 531 / 540
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Simrad electronics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Tinsdeall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Simrad electronics
    Posted: 10 February 2021 at 11:55
Hi All 
Having now taken possession of Dominus  540e I am working through the electronics and thought I might ask a couple of questions.
1) I have two problems currently trying to resolve one being a communication error being registered on the AP16 and the second being the fluxgate compasses not being visible on either the CX 34 or the AP 16. There are two compasses attached an RFC36 and an RC36. Any ideas welcome 
2) the CX34 radar / chart plotter is leaking the clear sticky fluid from the screen are replacements available or second hand units etc 
Regards Jim 
Jim Tinsdeall
Cornwall Hanse 540
Dominus
Captain Cook View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2021 at 18:03

Hi Jim

The CX34 is outdated, but there may be some pre-owned out there. I had the CP34 with repeater DS34, but I updated to a Simrad NX40, with radar, fishfinder, AIS, video and SmartCraft. The installation was easy, because all the connectors could be moved from one Simrad to the other. If you are interested in an used NX40, I have bought one extra last month, it was meant to be a repeater, but it can only function as a stand-alone. If you are interested, send me a PM, and I will send data and pictures. My price is € ½K. I can recommend the used NX40 in case the budget for a chartplotter is low. The manual is available on the net. I liked especially the two slots for SD-cards, where I use one for a route planning card. (I have the PC-Planner). Also the radar/AIS overlay and the split-screens are nice. In the old CP34 my ship was placed in the middle of the screen, but on the NX40 the ship is shown at the bottom.

:Kjeld

Edited by Captain Cook - 10 February 2021 at 19:20
Freya H400 #27 (2006), 40HP 3JH4E, 2-cabin, 3-blade Flexofold, Aries LiftUp Windvane, Exturn 300, Jefa DD1,Simrad NX40,Icom M603(VHF)+M802(SSB)
stulk75 View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stulk75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2021 at 00:32
I just acquired a new to me 2013 Hanse 445 that had original Simrad units.  A chart plotter and 3 multi-function displays.  The  displays were all useless so I replaced the with new B&G Triton2s.  The Chart plotter (Simrad NSS8) functions well and integrates with the Tritons, but I do not expect it to last for more than a few years given the cracks and lines in the display on the edges.

In doing my research it appears that when Navico (parent company of  Simrad and B&G) determines a product line is end of life, they no longer support any replacement or repairs.  I have read that they go so far as to destroy all outstanding stock...

Dogscout View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogscout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2021 at 07:37
This is not the answer you may want.  My 2008 430e had the leaky screen on both the plotters and the screens of everything were worn from sun.  The worst problem was chasing the intermittent failure of the AP.  I found online that the buttons on the AP command unit were prone to failure with age.  The old simnet connectors crumbled in my hands when I tried to take things apart.  The radar worked but took a lot of power, the wind anemometer was not accurate and the speed wheel was no longer working either.  

I replaced it all.  A new triton2 at each helm, a 12" vulcan at the helm/cockpit table, AP control at stbd helm, Halo2 radar, new AP computer, new compass, new dst, new wind.  All NMEA 2K.  And a new VHF gave me AIS.

I did keep the old rudder position sensor, but most of the wiring was all pretty rotten too and replaced .  

I am afraid that you will be chasing problems for a long time unless you replace it all.  
Adventure awaits
Jim Tinsdeall View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Tinsdeall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2021 at 09:13
Hi all thanks for suggestions . Having spent a couple of afternoons with the manuals and following the the fault finding tables the indicators point towards the main computer AC20 so going to buy one from the states. The CX 34  appears to still be functioning whilst leaking its screen fluid so will see if the AC20 resolves the issues if so look for a replacement for the CX34 with a CX 34 , cx44 or cx54. 
Inclined to agree that the right answer is to replace the lot with modern equivalent but the bank balance has taken a hammering to buy the boat. 
If the AC20 does not resolve the problems my next question is can I replace the autopilot element to work independently then replace the other elements when the kitty has been replenished, will other autopilot systems work with the rudder drive system  
Jim Tinsdeall
Cornwall Hanse 540
Dominus
Dogscout View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogscout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2021 at 12:09
Okay.  I have an AC20 autopilot computer and an RFC35 Electronic Compass.  The two pieces I did not throw in the trash bin, because I thought about selling them on ebay or such.  They are yours free other than shipping from Greece.  I expect that they work and that the AP16 instrument in the cockpit or the wiring was the failure.  

Just PM me if you want them and we will figure it out.  Oh and you have to do something nice for someone.
Adventure awaits
 Post Reply Post Reply