myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 415/418
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Place to store a life raft

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miraculix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Place to store a life raft
    Posted: 23 February 2021 at 10:50

Hello,

I’m new to this interesting forum. I ordered a 418 last summer, which will be launched and delivered end of March. So, I’m now busy collecting all the required equipment.

I’m a bit uncertain about the life raft and the best place to store. I see 3 possible storage places:

·       The after-locker on SB: more difficult to access during an emergency, in addition I have some doubts, whether there is sufficient space

·       The cockpit bench locker: would have to be pushed to the end, to make use of the remaining space. Is the height sufficient for this?

·       Mounting at the pushpit at the back: the space there is limited and is needed for other safety gear and the dinghy motor as well. In addition, it hampers manoeuvring in the harbour as it will be overhanging.

The space above the companionway is often used as well, but I don’t like this place as it hampers the view to the front and ventilation of the cockpit (if the sprayhood is lowered). In addition, the cabin roof could be a good, temporary place for an inflated dinghy.

I don’t have access to the boat yet and therefore cannot measure myself. Therefore I would appreciate if you could share your experience with this.

Frank

Miraculix, Hanse 418#169, Germany

Matt1 View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2021 at 11:09
Hi Frank

Personally I don’t favour the pushpit mounted life raft after having had waves break over the stern (on another boat, not in a Hanse). I’m also not sure how strong the standard pushpit is. Some of these rafts can be 30kg plus

My best compromise on the 418 was to put it in the stbd cockpit locker which I strictly only use for safety kit eg the emergency steering, liferaft and grab bags. Inspiration Marine gave me the good idea to back to back some folding padeyes (the inside one for securing the liferaft painter and the outside one as a harness point). I further reinforced that grp section by bonding in some 18mm marine ply before fitting the padeyes.  I did have to get the liferaft repacked from a canister to a valise in order to fit (it’s an Ocean Safety x4 person)

Hanse 418 #64 EmBer. Hamble, UK

Matt1 View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2021 at 11:11
Hanse 418 #64 EmBer. Hamble, UK

Tranquillity View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tranquillity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2021 at 18:34
Good luck on your new 418, you will have lots of fun.

It's a good question about the liferaft storage. On our 418 we ended up with rear stbd lazarette locker but put in an extra shelf to raise the liferaft to be just below locker lid so can be easily lifted out. The shelf has a 3" inch lip so the liferaft does not slide off when healed over. We use 6 man raft stored in a valise plus added an extra grab strap so can be pulled out end on as easier to get out from locker. It is still very heavy but felt best compromise for us in access, safety and protecting the raft.
PieterH View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PieterH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2021 at 09:45
Originally posted by Tranquillity Tranquillity wrote:

Good luck on your new 418, you will have lots of fun.

It's a good question about the liferaft storage. On our 418 we ended up with rear stbd lazarette locker but put in an extra shelf to raise the liferaft to be just below locker lid so can be easily lifted out. The shelf has a 3" inch lip so the liferaft does not slide off when healed over. We use 6 man raft stored in a valise plus added an extra grab strap so can be pulled out end on as easier to get out from locker. It is still very heavy but felt best compromise for us in access, safety and protecting the raft.
hello, can I ask you what type of liferaft you have ? I plan to keep my liferaft in the same locker and need a 6 man valise. Thank you.
Tranquillity View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tranquillity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2021 at 11:23
Hi Pieter,
It is a six man Seago raft. I see your in Hamble as well, once lockdown is over welcome to come over and have a look on how it fits.
PieterH View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PieterH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2021 at 11:37
Originally posted by Tranquillity Tranquillity wrote:

Hi Pieter,
It is a six man Seago raft. I see your in Hamble as well, once lockdown is over welcome to come over and have a look on how it fits.
thanks ! I will come over and look for you early April, fingers crossed. I am based in Port Hamble.
colinc View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2021 at 13:56
We ended up with two life rafts.   A small 4 person one and a bigger 6 person.  The small one lived in the cockpit locker and the six person down below under a bunk.   Since most of the time it was just my wife and I sailing we had the security of easy to launch life-raft (especially for her) available immediately.  If we had guests on board we had the second raft too. With more hands the heavier raft was no longer a problem.   Doubling up also gives insurance in case one fails to work.

Edited by colinc - 25 February 2021 at 14:26
TouchOfGrey View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TouchOfGrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2021 at 20:52
Hi Frank,

We sail our 418 since spring 2018 and truly love the boat. The looks, the speed, the ease of handling, the space and layout inside.
About the liferaft, we too use a 6 persons raft in a valise, stored in SB cockpit locker. There is some woodwork protecting the engine air intake hose. I modified this to make it more slender (it was 4-5 inch oversized, and our valise fits perfectly next to this, resting on the hull. 
Obviously we should not be tempted to cover it all up with other stores and hamper access to the raft.
In our case we only store extra mooring lines etc on top of the raft. These are easily tossed away in case we need to deploy it.
I searched long before I found a perfect sized raft (size in valise) and ended up with a 6p Ocean Standard raft from Ocean Safety. Back in 2018 they advertised with free first service after 3 years, they just serviced mine.
Have fun preparing for your boat handover!
Henk

Touch of Grey
H418 #028
aripro View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aripro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2021 at 07:35
Dear Frank,

As usual, there is no "perfect" answer for this problem. What I found as best compromise was to place it in the aft locker, port side. In order to keep it from moving around, and to be able to easily remove it in case of an emergency, I bult a custom shelf that you can see on the attached photos. The shelf is attached to the existing wood structure in the locker using 5-6 inox screws. I also made a few holes on my shelf for any water to find a way out.
It is still possible to fit a couple of fenders underneath the shelf.
My life raft is for 8 persons and weights over 50 kg.

Have fun!
Aristides

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>