myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 430
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Long-term solution for EU boat on US shore power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Long-term solution for EU boat on US shore power

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvvilkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long-term solution for EU boat on US shore power
    Posted: 03 March 2021 at 06:00
Hi everyone, 

having sailed on a few Hanses up and down the Atlantic Coast and across the pond, I'm now considering buying a 2008 build 430e European spec (220 50Hz 16A service). I will keep her in the US so I want to tap into 220V 60Hz US shore power in a safe, responsible fashion. 

I have no need to converting the existing 220V EU outlets. 

The Hanse has no Air conditioning or genset.  Her inverter/charger is a Mastervolt MassCombi 12/2500-12 (230V version I would presume). 

Is this the right approach?  US AC pedestal (2 x 120V) > New US 220V 30A shore power cable > New main inlet > New 30A main breaker >Isolation Transformer >Main breaker panel

Will I need to swap out the Mastervolt unit on the boat or just re-program it? 

Thanks in advance.

Drew W
New York City

colinc View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2021 at 09:12
Short answer - that does not sound right, no.  If you got 220V the fuses would be still at 16A not 30A.  And you can't just combine any two 120V to make 240V.   You also have the 60Hz to 50Hz to worry about as the combi will boost at 50Hz.

For a longer answer ...

I'd strongly recommend you get an electrician to advise and do the work.  Changing the combi unit for a 120V one may be the best long term solution.  But you need to check all your 240V circuits to switch to 120V - not least the fuse uprating.
alettaenmarcel View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alettaenmarcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2021 at 11:15
Originally posted by dvvilkins dvvilkins wrote:

Hi everyone, 

having sailed on a few Hanses up and down the Atlantic Coast and across the pond, I'm now considering buying a 2008 build 430e European spec (220 50Hz 16A service). I will keep her in the US so I want to tap into 220V 60Hz US shore power in a safe, responsible fashion. 

I have no need to converting the existing 220V EU outlets. 

The Hanse has no Air conditioning or genset.  Her inverter/charger is a Mastervolt MassCombi 12/2500-12 (230V version I would presume). 

Is this the right approach?  US AC pedestal (2 x 120V) > New US 220V 30A shore power cable > New main inlet > New 30A main breaker >Isolation Transformer >Main breaker panel

Will I need to swap out the Mastervolt unit on the boat or just re-program it? 

Thanks in advance.

Drew W
New York City
Are you looking at the 430 Bojangels?

Kids Dingys 72-79 ,Several Windsurfboards 79-86 OK dingy competitions 86-92 , Trotter Pandora Race 92-98, Friendship 28 Sport 98-05, Hanse 370 06-......
ohthetrees View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohthetrees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2021 at 14:21
I have a euro spec 505 in North America. 

Our boat came with a 230v mastervolt 12-1600-60 combi inverter, and a mastervolt 12/100-3 charger. 

My strategy feels a little weird, but a marine electrician gave me the thumbs up. 

I simply plug into 120v/60hz and switch to “shore”. The inverter senses incorrect voltage and doesn’t switch the power to the rest of the boat but is inverting as usual from the batteries. However, the charger is a “global charge” unit that can accept any voltage and hertz, and it works just fine at 120v. So it starts charging the batteries. 

The nice thing about this approach is we get the same nice clean 230v power from the inverter,  no matter where we are in the world, and the charger keeps the batteries topped up. 

It’s very important to only draw less than 16a power because the inlet wiring is sized for 16 amp euro power, and the dock breaker won’t help being 30 amp. On my boat the inlet has its own 16a breaker. However, the mos the charger seems to pull is about 15a at 120v, so all works as it should. 

Cons: this setup is not powerful enough to run our aircon. 

Edited by ohthetrees - 03 March 2021 at 16:20
dvvilkins View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvvilkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2021 at 15:17
Astute. It's a small world. 
 Post Reply Post Reply