myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 300 / 301
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Internal car in the boom

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailingfree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Internal car in the boom
    Posted: 17 March 2021 at 18:16
Hi,

On Draghonfly (301 2002) the outhaul is connected to what looks like in internal 2:1 car inside the boom. The outhaul has now worn to the point I need to replace it, but I can't work out how it is rigged. I think I have to take the end caps off the boom and while I'm at it I'm thinking of removing the car as there is a ton of friction in the outhaul, and just lead the outhaul back to the cockpit.

Has anyone dismantled the boom and knows whats inside? I can't find anything on the Sparcraft website either.

Thanks

Pete
Taylor View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2021 at 09:45
I will check mine out today and feedback.

I am not sure we have any car for outhaul.

Friction not a problem other than with the line running over the deck from the front organisers to the clutch. 

Hope to explain with a photo.

Steve.
Hanse 301 Bluenote 11
iemand View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iemand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2021 at 11:15
which brand of boom do you have? Selden has such car, Sparcraft not as far as I know

Hanse 312 MJ 2004 - Hanse 370e MJ 2007
sailingfree View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailingfree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2021 at 18:09
Hi, thanks for the feedback. I took the ends off the boom and fished the outhaul out. It's not a car, just a standard double block and lots of rope. The block looks OK so I think the friction is in the sheaves in the boom ends. It is a Sparcraft part so I'm guessing it came as standard.

Since its a standard part , and it does make mainsail shape easier to control I'm going to keep this.

sailingfree View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailingfree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2021 at 18:16
Hi Steve, I had the same problem with friction in the halyards and reefing lines when I first got Dragonfly back in 2007. To resolve this I added some teak blocks under the turning blocks to raise them up as described in this post: https://www.myhanse.com/friction-in-running-rigging_topic1411_page2.html?KW=friction
mjo View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2021 at 20:00
 Post Reply Post Reply