myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 505/508
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

508: Reacher Swivel chafing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tobo2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 508: Reacher Swivel chafing
    Posted: 20 July 2021 at 17:36
As mentioned in other threads the Dynema loop of the Selden top swivel is chafing on the alu tube. If attached to the halyard by a normal metal shackel it is hurting the tube ergo making the chafing of the loop even worse. On the pic you can clearly see what the former shackel did to the tube! We exchanged the metal shakel with a Dynema type but it didn't really help. As you can see in teh pic the chafing started after only about 10 times furling in and out!
Result: You have to climb the mast several time per season to check if the loop is already due for exchange. Business as usual? I don't think so. If you miss this inspection you can run into deep troubles if the loop brakes during sailing! I asked Hanse to propose a solution.This is an unbearable situation and threatens the safety of the yacht (and crew!)

Edited by tobo2 - 20 July 2021 at 18:20
Ggerrit View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ggerrit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2021 at 20:42
Hi, What I see is that the swifel is to low on the profile, so the angle of the the halyard is to small..
to solve bij getting the swifel some higher by using an piece of dynama at the bottom of your sail or a guide on the mast  to lower the halyard
 Gerard
H400 2008 2 cabin
Arcadia View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arcadia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2021 at 09:12
I had the same exact problem and getting a better angle on the halyard is the fix. I used a length of dyneema between the head of the sail and the swivel. You will have to play with the length a bit in order to raise the swivel the right amount on the foil. Not too much or the shackle will get too close to the halyard exit on the mast. You want a 10 - 15 degree angle on the halyard. You also may want to put the knot of your soft shackle at the top of the loop. It will move further away from the foil and avoid rubbing even more.
Leon / ARCADIA
2018 Hanse 588
Sag Harbor, NY
tobo2 View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tobo2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2021 at 12:10
Dear Leon, your fix sounds reasonable but not definitive for me. In fact Hanse or Elvstrom should adjust the reacher sail with a longer leach. You may also have to shorten the halyard to have enough way to tighten the sail at the mast foot. Let's see what they propose. I'm not the only one with this problem, am I? In every other branch there would be a recall.

Edited by tobo2 - 22 July 2021 at 12:12
 Post Reply Post Reply