myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 415/418
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Leaky Hull Windows

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schnupfel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leaky Hull Windows
    Posted: 17 August 2021 at 11:26
Dear all,
I do have a problem with my front cabin hull windows. Last year the starboard window started leaking after it had been exposed to some (not too) rough weather (F5, wave height 1.5 m) while beating to windward. It was replaced subsequently - all good so far. However, after a bit of another bumpy ride the port window started leaking recently this year. This is still under warranty, but I wonder, if this might be a bit of an Achilles heel of the 418s. 

So, has anybody had similar issues with the windows? Is there anything that can be done about it (apart from the obvious weather avoidance)?

H418 #121 KAPLA
Rock View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2021 at 11:53
For what it’s worth, I think it isn’t just Hanse.
The glued in (with sikaflex or the like) windows of all large manufacturers are prone to leakage, sooner or later. A lot of surface needs to be covered, a small imperfection in kit application can cause a leak.

BR
peter
Hanse 400e "M-square2" #0241
Matt1 View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2021 at 13:52
I've not had any problems with mine, and my 418 is about 60 boats older than yours. Maybe just unlucky with the amount of sealant they applied at the factory, or maybe they didnt degrease the grp well enough first?
Interesting though that it's in the fwd windows (which are immersed a lot less), but likely that the hull would flex more there than in the saloon area (or aft cabins). I'm not sure if the balsa core is cut back by way of the hull windows, but I'd want to be sure it hasn't got wet through the window leaking.

Hanse 418 #64 EmBer. Hamble, UK

StavrosNZ View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StavrosNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2021 at 00:23
The issue is that the acrylic of the ports expands and contracts and flexes at different rate to hull breaking the caulking seal. They have been installed with Polyurethane sealant which is not the best choice.

re-bed them with down corning 795 structural glazing sealant which is a silicon designed for fitting window in buildings, has incredible strength and elongation/flexibility. That will sort them for good.
Stephen
2010 H400 #691, Auckland, New Zealand
Matt1 View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2021 at 06:07
Pretty sure they are glass, not acrylic and the op’s boat is fairly new (& in the UK which is not known for
It’s high UV ;) ) so I doubt it’s a case of breaking down over time - I’ve not heard of problems with any recent Hanse hull ports so am inclined to think it’s a one off manufacturing issue, else why wouldn’t mine and other older 418s have the issue? It’s interesting that the 388 and 458 both have smaller windows in the forecabin and it was only the 418 where Hanse opted for quite a large window 
Hanse 418 #64 EmBer. Hamble, UK

Breathe View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breathe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2021 at 01:43
Not my boat, but I am aware of one 418 is Australia that has had one of the bow windows resealed. The problem happened early in the boats life, so it is most likely a manufacturing problem.

A solution that involves avoidance of F5 and 1.5m swell is pretty unattractive…

Gordon
StavrosNZ View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StavrosNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2021 at 21:57
Certainly on my 400 they are arcylic made by Lewmar, caulking simply let go due to flex and differential shrinkage, DOW sealant sorted the problem many years on now and no issues due to significant flex of DOW sealant.
Stephen
2010 H400 #691, Auckland, New Zealand
 Post Reply Post Reply