myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 355
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine horse power enough?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine horse power enough?
    Posted: 14 September 2021 at 19:14
I'm thinking of buying a 355. The engine is a Volvo Penta18hp. Is this not puny for a 35ft boat? I regularly cruise in my current boat around the west of Scotland and need to push against some strong currents and tides. Surely 18hp wouldn't powerful enough?  Any thoughts or experience would be appreciated:-)

Thanks
iemand View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iemand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2021 at 07:14
In your area with strong current 18hp is not enough. You will certainly need the 30hp option and also a good propeller.

BR Thomas
Hanse 312 MJ 2004 - Hanse 370e MJ 2007
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2021 at 08:23
Harry, I agree with Thomas. We have a 30 hp on our 345. It cruises comfortably at 2100 rpm with 6.2 kn.
Check the costs for re-engining!  If you are lucky the bigger engine would be drop-in interchangeable.
Frank
HarryP View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HarryP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2021 at 08:56
Cheers guys, thanks for the feedback.
Brufan View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brufan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2021 at 08:35
I'm used to sail in mid hight current area.
You can probably sail against tide and current with 18 hp but you will have just a few rpm left if needed.
With a 27 hp you are quite never underpowered.  So It's safer to have a few hundreds rpm in difficult situation.
Bear in mind that H355 weighs around 8 tons in real life

Bruno

hanse 355 - 57

S/Y Spicy Ginger

White hull, 2 cabins, Volvo D1-30, Selden rig, removable mainsheet track system, Simrad (now B&G)-Jefa autopilot.
Martin&Rene View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin&Rene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2021 at 13:55
We have a 341 with the standard 19HP Yanmar engine and the 2 blade prop.  Whilst most of our sailing is in the Clyde area we have sailed over to Northern Ireland and up the West Coast of Scotland. Sailing upwind in a sea we have sometimes wished we had the bigger engine.  Our view on the tides in the West Coast is that in many areas (e.g. Sound of Luing) it will not really make any difference what size of engine you have, if the tide is against you you will not be going anywhere.

Given the present state of the UK yacht market, your choice is very limited and in this area I think you may have to compromise on your ideal, as otherwise it may be years before your ideal yacht comes along.  A 355 yacht in Plymouth looks in excellent condition and will probably sell quickly.
Martin&Rene Hanse 341 Dipper Wheel steering, 3 cabin layout, normally based in Scotland
 Post Reply Post Reply