myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 385/388
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hanse 385 opinions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrclu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hanse 385 opinions
    Posted: 20 December 2021 at 20:15
Hello All,

I am thinking of buying a used Hanse 385 (or possibly an older 400) and I was wondering if any current owners could give me their thoughts on the overall quality?

Would you buy again?

Thanks

Paul
S&J View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2021 at 23:24
Not a current owner but I commissioned a new 385 in 2015.  Utterly fantastic boat.  3+ seasons in the Baltic, then 2 in UK and Ireland then Covid and Brexit caused a rethink.
This year I upsized to a new 458 so that says something about how I feel about the brand.
There will always be compromises on any boat.  I ft the weak spot in the layout was in the heads/shower.  We has single aft cabin version and I loved the huge storage space and extra large galley (bigger than the 458).

I had minor issues on commissioning both boats (mostly electronics on the 385 and sail/rig related on the 458), all dealt with swiftly by the excellent IMG dealership.

I hope you find a great boat.
H458 #159 Primal Mediterranean cruising
Ian2019 View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian2019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2021 at 04:49
There are always +'s and -'s.

I have the two cabin version and like S&J love the large locker and galley although hate the position of the table its like an assault course getting to sit on the inside. In general the build quality is good and the finish is good. Mine is from 2014 and the inside is like new the woodwork is great on splits the cushions and bedding are still firm. Outside, again still all good, I had issued with the sealant round the chain plates failing, this makes me think it may be time to replace all the outside sealant. The chain locker could have been bigger, the teak has worn well, but I do give it a coat of protection every 2-3 mths. I think a little more thinking on behalf of Hanse with regard to cable and pipework layout with future accessibility in mind would have gone a long way, also the labelling of cables could be better.
I have not "lived" onboard like some others, but its a great boat and very seaworthy.
You will find loads of +'s and -'s reading the all the posts on her.
Buy and enjoy!!!!
H385 #317 2014 Tivat Montenegro
Carlosailfan View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlosailfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2021 at 07:30
Hello, we own our since 2014 and yes we still love her. 2 cabin version and brand new delivered with the 28 HP 3 cilinder Volvo Penta. Positive points a lot, personal minor points were:
the engine so after the second year i installed the 40HP with FOF 3 blade prop, much better seen we have strong currents.
I swapped the mini toilet by the comfort version = to more comfort :)
Upgraded with one electrical winch on SB, wow love it
Installed myself the complete navigation equipment B&G, supersized by the standard electrical systems already onboard so easy to fit.
Strong hull, but just look if you purchase one that it did not had a serious grounding. You can see this if you open the wine cellar and more if the inner structure is still in place. Personally i see this as a weak point but it is reparable. See youtube " sailing Aurora H 488.
Nice to sail, fast and comfortable and honestly if i look around to other brands i always come back to the Hanse seen there you find nice combinations you do not have at other brands. but of course it stays always a compromise of your personal interests. Good luck !!

Best regards
/C
S&J View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2021 at 08:46
Surprised that you didn't find the standard engine adequate.  I had the 30hp Volvo with Gori two blade folding prop and never felt under powered.
I do agree about the electric winch.  I didn't have one but I do on the 458.  Only really need one to starboard as this is where most of the work gets done (main halyard, jib sheet, reef 1 and optionally main sheet).
We only had one set of winches and found these sufficient even with our asymmetric spinnaker with the addition of jamming Spinlock BRS blocks on the puspit.
H458 #159 Primal Mediterranean cruising
mrclu View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrclu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2021 at 16:48
Thanks for the info everyone, really useful in helping me make my decision.
AndyS View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2021 at 22:17
We have a 2012 385 bought in 2016. It is a fantastic boat, and I agree with all that has been said. I feel there are many areas that can be upgraded, and we have done many of these in the past 5 years. We have upgraded the electronics, added a bow thruster, changed the backstay to an adjustable hydraulic rig, replaced every block with better versions, and the list goes on and on. That is part of the fun of ownership - looking around and seeing what can be made reliable, more smooth, more robust, or more simple. You will like the 385.
Andy
Moonraker
River Dunes, NC
Mark&Catherine View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark&Catherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2021 at 18:38
our 385 is 2013, small engine, but we added adjustable cars for the 105 genoa, a better backstay, a bobstay for the furling gennaker or asymmetric spinnaker and a few other bits and bobs. So far we have raced her in club class and cruised her as 6 months a year live-a-boards.  She is quick and easy to sail, so that's all good, but has far less stowage than some cruisers, offset as we, like others, have gone for the 2 cabin bigger galley and big locker option.  Would I buy one again, yes if I wanted a lovely hull and relatively simple rig that still moves nicely.  If stowage and space is your only thing, maybe not, but if like me you come from a sailing background (dinghies) so you want a nice boat that sails well (even though some things need upgrading) you will enjoy a 385.  Major downside, only one heads, so when its broken, its broken!!!! Racing rules require 2 buckets so......... 
385 ubulukutu sail number GBR 3350L in Turkey and Greece with Mark and Catherine
Rena-Mart View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rena-Mart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2022 at 10:30
A little late to this for what it is worth . 
We bought our 2016 385 at almost 4 years old and since then nothing has dimmed our joy although a few issues have required attention.
The toilet tank pump out fitting at the top of the tank was only hanging on by 15 mm of the 120mm circumference, the previous owner had an issue but didn't nail down the cause of the unpleasant odour.
The electronic box on the side of the engine $900 Au failed fortunately it had been replaced under warranty less than 1 year earlier so it was also covered under warranty. This has now been moved to a bracket fixed to the engine mount to remove it from the vibration of the engine and away from the heat and and possible water damage under the heat exchanger. At this time I added a manual start button so if all else fails as long as there is oil in the sump, cooling and fuel the basic tractor engine will do it's job.
The multi function entertainment radio died and the model was no longer available so minor surgery was required to mount it and to date I still can't get it to work as well as the old one. (operator error)
Would we buy another one YES yes can't wait for the new 460 to arrive in AUS
Rena & Martin
PJ Timmins View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PJ Timmins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2022 at 00:42
Hi I am also researching to buy a Hanse 385 and I find the forum very useful to give a true picture of the issues and challenges of ownership. However my challenge is sourcing a Hanse 385 in Northern Europe. Most of the products seem to be in Croatia or Greece, which involves the time and effort bringing them back to Ireland, where I am based. Most of the websites are featuring boats which are no longer available. While its enjoyable spending time researching your next boat, Its also frustrating to go down so many dead end routes. I would appreciate any suggestions on sources or contacts to procure a Hanse 385. Many thanks for your responses. 
PJ 
PJT
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>