myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 575/588
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Leaking wall forward head

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Swede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leaking wall forward head
    Posted: 24 April 2022 at 11:42
Hi all,

Photo: https://photos.app.goo.gl/iAF54Yz9hG4eALsZ9

Our 2014 575 has issues with intermittent water seaping from the wooden wall in the starboard forward restroom causing the wood to rot.

I checked all the fitting behind the wall and everything is dry including the wood, it's a mystery to me where the water is coming from.

Has anyone experienced this issue and found the culprit, or have any other suggestions?

PS. It's not the Basin.
| Hanse 575 | Private Yachting | Croatia / Adriatic | Info: https://bigblue.fun
Relentless View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Relentless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2022 at 12:28
I noticed water in this spot and found that it was seeping from the hot/cold mixing valve.   It was intermittent.  I learned that when I make hot water, the pressure builds and causes the valve to leak.  The solution is to add an expansion tank or simply crack open a water valve to relief the pressure after running the water heater. 

Crazy huh!     This was my problem problem and solution.

There’s a thread that has some details about installing an expansion tank.

Blue Swede View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Swede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2022 at 11:24
Originally posted by Relentless Relentless wrote:

I noticed water in this spot and found that it was seeping from the hot/cold mixing valve.   It was intermittent.  I learned that when I make hot water, the pressure builds and causes the valve to leak.  The solution is to add an expansion tank or simply crack open a water valve to relief the pressure after running the water heater. 

Crazy huh!     This was my problem problem and solution.

There’s a thread that has some details about installing an expansion tank.

Thanks for the reply, sounds about right. Installing a hydropress expansion tank would certainly help with the pressure drops and highs. But i think i will focus on the mixing tap and change the seals before going all in on rebuilding the freshwater system.

Yes it's crazy as i can feel that the fittings behind the wall are bone dry up to the point where water is seeping out behind the basin.

To be continued :-)
Martin&Rene View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin&Rene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2022 at 16:49
I installed a water filter in our cold water system and have never been able to get the joint perfectly sealed.  It only leaked when the pressure built up whilst the water was being heated, which sounds similar to you problem. Changing seals hopefully is a permanent solution, but you can also ameliorate the problem.

The calorifier pressure relief valve is a common source of the problem generated by the expansion of the water and the resultant build up of pressure.  If you put in "calorifier" in the advanced search box, "any forums, any date" you will find many threads.

This is where I made some comments.

Actually nowadays, when starting the engine or switching the water heater on, we turn off the fresh water pump, run a tap until no more water comes out and then shut the tap.  We then just switch the water pump on later after the water will have been heated and when you want some water and you can leave it on, unless you have used a very large amount of hot water.  The pressure increase leakage problem only arises when the water is first being heated from cold.  

The interesting test is to do the first bit and then when the water has been heated open the hot water tap without switching the pump on and a certain volume of water will come out demonstrating the increase in pressure.  
Martin&Rene Hanse 341 Dipper Wheel steering, 3 cabin layout, normally based in Scotland
Wild View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2022 at 20:02
try to give some more pressure on the ceramic mixing cartouche 
Sometimes the cartouche starts to leak when the the pressure is high 
Wild and Wet
Belgium
545e#268
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Swede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2022 at 14:33
Originally posted by Wild Wild wrote:

try to give some more pressure on the ceramic mixing cartouche 
Sometimes the cartouche starts to leak when the the pressure is high 

It must be the culprit... but my tap is not the same. The handle is tilted outwards and has the shower hose inside.
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Swede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2022 at 14:39
Originally posted by Martin&Rene Martin&Rene wrote:

I installed a water filter in our cold water system and have never been able to get the joint perfectly sealed.  It only leaked when the pressure built up whilst the water was being heated, which sounds similar to you problem. Changing seals hopefully is a permanent solution, but you can also ameliorate the problem.

The calorifier pressure relief valve is a common source of the problem generated by the expansion of the water and the resultant build up of pressure.  If you put in "calorifier" in the advanced search box, "any forums, any date" you will find many threads.

This is where I made some comments.

Actually nowadays, when starting the engine or switching the water heater on, we turn off the fresh water pump, run a tap until no more water comes out and then shut the tap.  We then just switch the water pump on later after the water will have been heated and when you want some water and you can leave it on, unless you have used a very large amount of hot water.  The pressure increase leakage problem only arises when the water is first being heated from cold.  

The interesting test is to do the first bit and then when the water has been heated open the hot water tap without switching the pump on and a certain volume of water will come out demonstrating the increase in pressure.  

We keep our pump on at all times, and the boiler. when moored (been moored for weeks now doing other small repairs).  This is an intermittent issue in one head only so I don't think it's a system wide issue. I think I will try to find a way to remove the blender and see what's going on there first.
Arcadia View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arcadia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2022 at 17:50
The only real fix is to deal with the expansion of hot water. A small expansion tank of 1 gallon, plumbed into any hot water line will do. Shutting of the pump, or releasing the pressure with a faucet will work but requires fore thought which tends to be in short supply.
Leon / ARCADIA
2018 Hanse 588
Sag Harbor, NY
Tranquillity View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tranquillity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 21:17
We had a similar experience of leaking faucet/tap in heads and a little water in bilge from the hot water tanks pressure relief valve, we found it was far easier to install a small expansion tank T'd into the hot water piping than to change the faucet valve. This post has the details.
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Swede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 19:49
So i opened the wall and unscrewed everything, but the plumbing wont let me remove the tap. 😠

Post Reply Post Reply