myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 400
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Continuing anchor discussion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
DJgun View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJgun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Continuing anchor discussion
    Posted: 13 August 2023 at 08:49
Thanks Raymondo, 

I too replaced the Delta with 20kg Rocna Vulcan.  The bow roller support on my 2007 built 400 is 5mm thick, but clearly has different dimensions. When the anchor is raised, the original front pin (previously used to hold Delta in position, is too low to go over the anchor shank.

I will move that pin to go through the shank end eye as you have done. Then it is another small problem to solve to stop the anchor swinging.

It was very helpful to see your photographs for ideas to find a solution..

Cheers
DJ

Edited by DJgun - 20 August 2023 at 10:49
DJ Sailor Ordinaire
HIN DE-HANJ0331J708
Raimondo View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raimondo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2023 at 07:17
Hi all,

So finally I replaced the 16kg Delta with a new Rocna Vulcan 20kg.
To have it stable while navigating I worked on the original idea of Peter, with a friend of mine we worked on a piece of Delrin and I didn't change the original bow roller (mine is 5mm); I just made an hole to put the original pin and block the anchor.

Here is a picture:

Thanks to Peter and the others.

Raimondo
400e #499 2009 "Cricca 4" ITA16254
Ratbasher View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratbasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 09:41
Hi Peter - I've not found the chain on the hull an issue as it hangs in a long, deep loop before being connected to the bridle some meters away.  This seems to help limit yawing.

Agree that you can bend the roller arm back, but as you say its only a short-term fix.  I'm looking at ways to redesign it to include a second roller for mooring lines.  A future project to help limit my kid's inheritance....
H400 (2008) 'Wight Leopard', Gosport UK
Rock View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 19:32
I had a mishap with my old anchor set-up (own fault, I thought my pilot had engaged but it hadn’t, then let the wheel go in a marina Pinch), it was  bent.
the upside of the low quality 3mm piece is that one can easily Bend it back.
Take it off, Put it in a vice, and with some vice grips it bends back like putty, you’ll  always see where it was damaged, but it got me a couple years.

The snubber is good practice, I just find that I’ll always hear the chain grinding against the boat, as the tide turns. Because passing through the fair leads you pull the chain toward the boat. Where if you let it run over the anchor roll (i sometime do during calm nights) at least there is some distance between chain and boat.
Hanse 400e "M-square2" #0241
Rock View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 19:17
Hi raimondo,

I have item nr 644100000KK, for 8-12 mm chain.

Guess I’m happy, it hasn’t hindered me while anchoring, rolls well over the sheave etc.

I guess you can only say when you you are not happy, when something failed or went wrong.

But the Kong is an extremely solid piece, looks unlikely to fail are break.

Regards,
Peter
Ratbasher View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratbasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2023 at 08:27
....and here's why I use a snubber rigged in a bridle exiting between the bow cleats; lateral loading forces can be immense.  Imagine these being applied directly to the arms of an anchor swivel....  Note that the fair leads on any Hanse are for decoration only.

I sympathise with the poor owner as this repair won't be cheap.  If he/she's reading this, please come say 'hi' as my boat is further down the same pontoon.

Iain

Edited by Ratbasher - 27 May 2023 at 08:29
H400 (2008) 'Wight Leopard', Gosport UK
Raimondo View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raimondo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2023 at 21:33
Hi Peter,

Which Kong did you buy, KGAC08-S or KGAC10-S ?
Are you happy with it?

Thanks,
Raimondo

400e #499 2009 "Cricca 4" ITA16254
Rock View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2023 at 19:08

Just to close the loop on my little anchor project.

So decided to purchase off the shelve anchor rol from sailinox @ 329 Euro.

Size and function/design closed to the original Hanse setup.
Most important difference 5mm steel instead the poor 3mm Hanse choice.

The holes for the bolts didn’t match the holes in the boat though.
So had 5 holes welded \shut and polished and 5 new holes drilled and countersunk (40 euros).

The first 2 holes (bottom of the anchor roll) did fit, the location of the other 5 I decided based on ensuring sufficient distance between the existing holes in the boat and enough ‘meat’  in the aluminium plate under the bow.
Then drilled new holes and cut M8 threat (very easily, cutting in aluminium).

All 7 bolts now bite in solid aluminum (wasn’t  the case for at least 1 bolt previously).

Happy with the set up now, it feels very solid (100% beter than the original wobbly setup) the Rocna Vulcan also sits solid.

I guess I could have gone for a full customized anchor rol, with a step, possibly combined with bow sprit, but this works well and was rather economic.

… and added a shackle between Kong and anchor, to allow for chain swing and pivoting of the Kong

Best regards,
Peter

Edited by Rock - 14 May 2023 at 19:13
Martin&Rene View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin&Rene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2023 at 18:14
There have been a couple of articles in the UK magazine Yachting Monthly showing the problems of attaching the swivels direct to the anchor, as demonstrated by Ratbasher, and even using inappropriate shackles and so they have also recommended putting in a 2 or 3 links of chain between the anchor and the swivel.
Martin&Rene Hanse 341 Dipper Wheel steering, 3 cabin layout, normally based in Scotland
Lyn View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2023 at 19:37
Thank you very much for sharing this and the link for more description.  On my boat, the "swivel connection" joined the anchor directly to the chain.  While contacting Rocna for advice on modifying my roller, they suggested a bow shackle to address some of the orientation issue/degrees of freedom.  As I took it apart to add one in, I was a little concerned that the one pin was so critical to holding the boat.

I've never seen the 3 extra links on any boat I've been on, but that makes so much more sense if you're not assured to always pull in the direction of your anchor set.  A short, but good read that will help me sleep better at night!
Jon
S/V Lyn
2017 Hanse 588 | Hull 19 | Deep draft | 150hp | 220v & 110v systems | Lithium House Bank
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>