myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 385/388
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hanse 385 Stanchion Foot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hanse 385 Stanchion Foot
    Posted: 16 May 2022 at 17:05
My Hanse 385 gate stanchion base foot is loose, lifts up with lifeline stress. I have not been able to find any pertinent information in owner's manual. Can anyone provide instruction on how the base foot attaches inside the toe rail. Thanks. 
GeneK
Gene
S&J View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 18:28
The stanchions clamp onto the deck fitting (I think with an Allen key) so check it is not just this that is loose.  You can unbolt this and remove the stanchion if you need to inspect the foot.  These are bolted into a reinforcement plate into the deck.  There is no nut on the bolt.  You can see what these look like by looking in the void behind the port cabin.
H458 #159 Primal Mediterranean cruising
GeneK View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2022 at 13:22
Thanks for the advise. I have removed the stanchions to inspect the foot at the base. The foot readily pulls out from the toe rail revealing an 6-8 mm screw. Turning screw in tightening direction has no effect. There is no obvious access to inside of toe rail from boat cabin.
GeneK
Gene
Keakaka View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keakaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 09:30
Gene, I have a new (2020) 388 and during inspection found that the alloy backing plate under the deck was not positioned to line up with the 8mm bolts from the stanchion and safety posts. There are about 6 plates around the rear of the boat that have threaded holes to take the bolts from the on deck fittings. The backing plates are bonded to the underside of the deck and we had to install new plates under the old ones then thread longer bolts into them. Very strange assembly error. You will see the backing plates from the hull/deck joint area or under the lazarete. It is a simple fix but access is a challenge
This is not a rehearsal. Go for it. Kiakaha
S&J View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 16:29
From your initial description it seems that it is the side gate which is loose and this is definitely not accessible from below without taking a saw to the cabin.
I think you need to ascertain if the embedded metal plate is actually present and if so where it is located.  You may find it is only slightly offset and that you are able to move the stanchion position.
Sorry that I don't have any better ideas.
H458 #159 Primal Mediterranean cruising
GeneK View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 17:27
Thank you all for information and advise. Looks as if my problem is what I feared. The alloy base plate inside the toe rail is out of line or completely stripped. I do not see any reasonable access on the starboard gate foot and would hate to take a saw to the woodwork. My boat was built in 2017. Has anyone else found an easier fix?
GeneK
Gene
Keakaka View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keakaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 00:50
if you can borrow a borescope/ endoscope camera you might be able to pries the interior lining back and see where the backing plate is located. It is about 10mm thick alloy plate 75mm wide and had a threaded hole. If the thread is stripped you might be able to install a thread insert kit. Hopefully the interior trim can be pulled off for accessCry
This is not a rehearsal. Go for it. Kiakaha
GeneK View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 02:06
Again, thanks for the recommendations. Using a borescope is a great idea to confirm my problem and identify the best route to gain access for repair. Hope to post a follow up to the 385/388 group if I conclude with a successful repair.
Gene
 Post Reply Post Reply