myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 575/588
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Diesel Odor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arcadia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Diesel Odor
    Posted: 06 June 2022 at 22:14
Question. Over the course of a few years I have noticed the odor of diesel fuel in the main salon.  This has increased from barely noticeable to noticeable.  I checked both tanks, fittings and bilges with no leaks found. Very clean. I’m beginning to think that the plastic tanks that are installed are starting to become permeable to fumes. Or, possible the fill / vent hoses are getting permeable. Has anyone noticed this?
Leon / ARCADIA
2018 Hanse 588
Sag Harbor, NY
Relentless View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Relentless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2022 at 15:52
I have noticed that the fuel will get warm when motoring for a long time.   The hot engine warms up the return fuel to the tank…. And eventually the tank is warm.  Then I start to notice diesel smell…but only from the starboard tank. 
Otherwise, I haven’t noticed any permeable odors.
Captain Cook View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2022 at 16:41
One reason for diesel smell is explained here:
As for diesel smell on the deck, near the filler cap, there is a small air vent where diesel fumes may escape
Freya H400 #27 (2006), 40HP 3JH4E, 2-cabin, 3-blade Flexofold, Aries LiftUp Windvane, Exturn 300, Jefa DD1,Simrad NX40,Icom M603(VHF)+M802(SSB)
Arcadia View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arcadia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2022 at 13:25
Thanks for that link.  There is a post which says that there was previously a black multi layer plastic that was used for the diesel tanks and was resistant to fume permeability.  The 588 and 575 have white plastic. Same as the water tank. Was this a short cut by Hanse? As I said, definitely no leaks anywhere, yet there is odor spreading out from the tank compartments. And yes, my starboard tank seems worse. Any one out there with Black plastic ? 
Leon / ARCADIA
2018 Hanse 588
Sag Harbor, NY
Arcadia View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arcadia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2022 at 13:38
Also, have any 588 owners gained access to the starboard fuel tank. It is under the galley cabinets covered with one large floorboard. The port tank is more easy accessed under the floor board.
Leon / ARCADIA
2018 Hanse 588
Sag Harbor, NY
Pzucchel View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pzucchel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2022 at 22:02
Originally posted by Arcadia Arcadia wrote:

Also, have any 588 owners gained access to the starboard fuel tank. It is under the galley cabinets covered with one large floorboard. The port tank is more easy accessed under the floor board.

Yes I did... Specifically in a 588, In another context. During the last atlantic crossing from bermuda to Acores, the central island took off (!!!) following a side wave, I guess about 6m high....

... So I had to repair it. And dismounting the central island, you do have access to the starboard tank. I profited in adding a cable tie to the level sensor, that sometimes got stuck. The repair of the central island was long but not difficult.

To access the starboard tank, you have to unscrew the two big nuts that are below the garbage bin, and then the wooden screws that are in the bow side of the island and that are accessible from the island side, frontally. After this you can lift it off and displace it... The tubes and cables are long enough to put it horizontally and access the starboard tank... 
Hanse588#55
Arcadia View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arcadia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2022 at 22:09
Just curious. Do you have the option for a separate island with a sink, or is yours like mine, which has U shaped galley with sink facing forward ? My “island” is attached to the rest of the galley cabinets and counter.
Leon / ARCADIA
2018 Hanse 588
Sag Harbor, NY
Pzucchel View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pzucchel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2022 at 22:19
Originally posted by Arcadia Arcadia wrote:

Just curious. Do you have the option for a separate island with a sink, or is yours like mine, which has U shaped galley with sink facing forward ? My “island” is attached to the rest of the galley cabinets and counter.

Ho Léon, i have the separate Isle/sink. The screws used by hanse to fix the front side of the isle weren't long enough, so it was all kept by the glue only. I have a video of the "drama", the Isle got free on the bow side and the bolts below the garbage bin broke the wood.... When I examined the damage, I realised it could have been better fixed and this is what I did!!! If you want to know how I did it, I can post the details...

Best
Piero 

Edited by Pzucchel - 25 June 2022 at 22:20
Hanse588#55
Arcadia View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arcadia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2022 at 22:22
Piero, I wouldn’t mind seeing that video !!  Via WHATS APP ?
Leon / ARCADIA
2018 Hanse 588
Sag Harbor, NY
Arcadia View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arcadia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2022 at 22:28

Mine looks like this  one piece  
Leon / ARCADIA
2018 Hanse 588
Sag Harbor, NY
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>