myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 345/348
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Freshwater pump

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magicol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Freshwater pump
    Posted: 28 June 2022 at 16:20
The freshwater pump on my 345 has become a bit more laboured when pressurising. It has encouraged me to prepare for having to replace it. Worryingly, it is impossible to source a Jabsco like for like replacement in the UK and no suggestion this will improve soon. Has anyone replaced their pump recently? And if so, what make did you chose? How straightforward was it adapting to the existing plumbing and electrics. I also wonder how far to vary the original specification. Finally, given the location of the pump under the forward bunk, I would like any replacement to be quiet! Any advice or comments would be very welcome.
Hanse 345 #237 based on the Clyde
Lippe View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lippe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2022 at 18:29
What means ”pump has been laboured”?
Black Diamond View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2022 at 10:31
I don't know if you have room, but one of the things I did to reduce the work on the pump was to put in an accumulator tank.   This reduces the times the pump comes on, and certainly quiets the boat at night when people are sleeping.    We have fresh water flush toilets and 2 heads, so being able to use the sinks and flush without the pump coming on is a blessing.

As I recall,  normal pressure is 40psi.   I would think that ANY 12V pump that can connect to the existing hoses would work fine.  Quiet would be a factor as well as space, obviously.  Some let you set the pressure, but most default to that I think.

Personally,  on the grey water pumps and fresh water pumps,  I keep spares just in case.   I don't want to try and source the replacement while in the middle of a passage.   Same for the water witch switches.

Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Hanse 575 Build #192, Hull# 161
Newport, RI
Magicol View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magicol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2022 at 21:33
Apologies for not acknowledging these posts; we have been away sailing with limited connectivity. 
First, my definition of our labouring pump is more noise and an increasing period of repressurising when taps are switched off. 
All that said, the pump has survived a great deal of use during the last three weeks and remains in place. Also, our local chandlery has now sourced a compatible pump which, as advised, we now carry in readiness for the day our existing pump fails.
Martin&Rene View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin&Rene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2022 at 21:55
If you have to replace the pump, then put a pump guard filter between the tank and the pump

We also occasionally use a small 12v submersible pump to "hoover" up any sediment in the water tank.

Martin&Rene Hanse 341 Dipper Wheel steering, 3 cabin layout, normally based in Scotland
Magicol View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magicol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2022 at 22:38
Thank you for these links; the pump guard filter is an excellent idea. I have just ordered one!
The submersible pump is also a very useful addition to the kit we carry. Great suggestions, much appreciated.
CrocDundee View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrocDundee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2022 at 13:24
I probably learnt this here somewhere, but a long plastic tube inserted into a rubber plug and sealed into the shower drain, makes a great device for hoovering up water. Works well for the condensation we get building up under the rear bunks, and a recent "hose came off a the sink tap" incident. 

Hanse 345 - Tenacious. Sailing on the Solent and now to the west coast of Scotland.
Käpt´n Nuß View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Käpt´n Nuß Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2023 at 11:06
The noise of the pump when working, is not the real acoustic problem.
You can easily hear that, when the pumps runs dry.

The noise results in the absolute incompetent way the compound hoses are installed.
These rigid tubes transmit the vibration of the pump very efficiently to the boatbody that amplifies the noise.
If Hanse would invest 5 Euros in elastomer foam everywhere the tube touches the body and half an hour of workmanship, the boat might be 100 Euros more expensive and all owners had a good sleep.
These things are definitly anoying when you see how little money the difference between a good boat and a better boat might be.
Same is the issue with missing empty tubes to install gadgeds after purchasing.
No chance to draw cables from back to aft and from starboard to portside without drilling several holes into the structure.
It is a great boat but that really sucks.

Fair winds!

SY Yggdrasil Wackerballig
 Post Reply Post Reply