myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 345/348
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Happy with your 34x? Issues?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Happy with your 34x? Issues?
    Posted: 20 September 2022 at 17:02
I am about to pull the trigger on a new 348. Just double checking on owner's feelings about this model. Would you get this again? Anything I should know ahead of time.

I mostly daysail and coastal cruise. People who accompany me typically range from not being able to help at all, to being reasonable to hold the helm or sheet in lines. But I am buying this boat specifically since all lines are led back to the helm. The french manufacts/Catalina/Hunter etc all still have Halyard, reefing, vang, outhaul/inhaul for roller furling main on the cabin top by the companionway. That means when by yourself you leave the helm. Or when you have guests, you invariably ask them to move, since whatever line you need, someone is always sitting by.

Other times I just want to enjoy just going out for a sail. I wish their was a smaller model, but the 315 doesn't lead all lines back to the helm.

So will this boat really meet my needs?

Appreciate any comments you have regarding this boat and your experience for what I am trying to do.
Sounder View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sounder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2022 at 17:55
I took delivery of a new 348 last July/August (hull #199) and sail Western Long Island Sound. I did a bunch of research and concluded the same as you. I love this boat. It is sharp looking (in a modern way) and sails beautifully. I can't emphasize the sailing manner of the boat. Lovely feel at the wheel. Very easily managed from the helm. When alone and with inexperienced friends the autopilot is key. (sometimes you just have to go forward to haul or set the fenders. No real issues to speak of. The self-tacking jib is great but obviously not great downwind. I purchased an asymmetrical (A3) from Quantum but have not set it yet. I bought this with a sock for easy setting and dousing but I wonder if a furler would have been smarter. I do think the stack-pack bag would serve more easily if the zipper was offset to one side. Happy to go through any details with you.
David S
NADINE (Hanse 348 #199)
Western Long Island Sound
boatman View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2022 at 19:11
Appreciate the comments. I am about 120 mi east of you ;-) . Experienced in self tacking jibs, if you want to move off the wind under 15kts, a reacher/screecher/gennaker/code 0/asym is necessary. I sail on a friend's boat with a sock, normally it works great!

Agree that autopilot is key, but even with that, on all the other boats I have sailed, it seems whatever line is needed is EXACTLY where somewhere is sitting.

BTW, I tried posting on the Hanse fb group, one still hasn't responded to my request to join from a month ago, the other I joined, put up a post, but doesn't seem like the moderator is too active?
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2022 at 17:27
I have my H345 since summer 2013 and do almost always day cruises, mostly single handed.
I bought the electric winches and of course the nav package with the autopilot. I love this boatHug

For the local  prevailing light winds I ordered a asymmetrical from Elvström on a furler. I can do everything  from the helmsman space behind the wheels, reefing, adjusting, hoisting, anchor via remote, bow thruster.

The only thing I am missing are solid handles on the steering wheel pedestals.

Good Luck, you made a good choice

Frank
boatman View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2022 at 17:29
Thank you for the info Frank.
Dubs2021 View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dubs2021 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2022 at 00:38
You will love the 348. My requirements were the same. We also looked at Catalina, Tartan and Jeanneau. The Hanse has the best design and features. I single hand my 348 with ease. I like the self tacker except for its handling downwind. I would like to see more on how the Hanse Jenacker (sp?) works. Last time, though, for example when the main is to port and the jib wing to wing to starboard, I found that running a light line from the jib clue to the starboard stroud help stabilize the sail and minimize sail collapsing. Granted, this only works with adequate wind, at least 6 knots IMO.
Suggestion: get the factory cockpit table cover when you take delivery. Between August last year, and December when I received the after market cover, the table's wood stained.
I added a locally made custom Dodger this summer and absolutely love it. I posted pictures a couple months ago on this forum. It provides ample shade on hot sunny afternoons and really good wind protection for my guests and me when I steer on the leeward side. It also keeps the companionway nice a dry.
Good luck!

Hugh
Martin&Rene View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin&Rene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2022 at 10:19
You can improve how the jib works downwind.  Look here at a previous post of mine.

I know you do not have a slotted metal toe rail, but I think if you talk to your agent or Hanse, they may be able to suggest a way of positioning some form of fastening point.  
I have seen on a new 418, that Hanse have actually fitted a bullseye which could be used as the basis of a barber hauler system
Martin&Rene Hanse 341 Dipper Wheel steering, 3 cabin layout, normally based in Scotland
richz View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2022 at 17:14
I had the 345 for 8 years and I can confirm it's a lovely boat; very robust construction and consistently fitted. I also use the gennaker from elvtrom, very nice sail and easy to use.
I use it for family cruising (3 kids!) and we absolutely enjoyed our time with her!
Now the kids are growing and the boat has to grow as well...

But I am sure you won't regret your choice!

oj_knut View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oj_knut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2022 at 10:27
Originally posted by Fendant Fendant wrote:

I have my H345 since summer 2013 and do almost always day cruises, mostly single handed.
I bought the electric winches and of course the nav package with the autopilot. I love this boatHug

For the local  prevailing light winds I ordered a asymmetrical from Elvström on a furler. I can do everything  from the helmsman space behind the wheels, reefing, adjusting, hoisting, anchor via remote, bow thruster.

The only thing I am missing are solid handles on the steering wheel pedestals.

Good Luck, you made a good choice

Hi
Can you say something about how there is room for the bow thruster and anchor about the 345??
Do you maybe have pictures??
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2022 at 17:27
AFAIK there are now flat bow thrusters which may fit in front of the water tank.
I went for the external thruster and I am VERY happy with its performance and low noise level.
It has a separate 90 Ah AGM battery in the bow and a joy stick control plus a wireless remote to thich the anchor winch is connected as well.
If you PM me your mailing address I can send you some photos.

Fair winds
Frank
Frank
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>