myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 385/388
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Black Water Tank Replacement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KNick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black Water Tank Replacement
    Posted: 22 September 2022 at 10:41
Hello to everyone,

I have a HANSE 385 2014 model.

Just received a new black water tank for the toilet from HANSE BOATOON website. Planning to replace it next week.

Previous one needs replacement as it blocks quite often.

There is a metal ring attached around the tank placed by the shipyard.

So my questions to anyone who might have replaced his are:

A) This metal ring is ATTACHED ONLY AROUND THE BLACK WATER TANK or ON THE INSIDE PART OF THE HULL FACING THE BATHROOM as well? 

B) If this metal ring is also attached on the inside part of the hull, how the tank is removed? Cause it does not seem to have enough space to lift the tank further up from the rink perimeter and remove it before placing the new one.

Any thoughts / piece of advice would be highly appreciated!

Best regards,

Nikos 
Jonw View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2023 at 16:13
Hi Nikos - I also have a 385, with a v slow draining holding tank.

The boat yard said on many other types of boats there is usually a 2inch / 50mm outlet from the holding tank, and out through the hull, and that mine has a 1.5" pipe from the tank, reducing to a 1.25" pipe through the hull, and that therefore it is susceptible to blockages / slow draining.

He also said it may be a tricky job to replace the holding tank, because of the covering over it.

May I ask - how did you / are you getting on with replacing your holding tank? Any tips / tricks? Would you do it again knowing what you know now..?

Many thanks

Jon

Edited by Jonw - 20 February 2023 at 16:13
is46664 View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote is46664 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2023 at 23:25
The holding tank on my 385 has a long history of blockages. 

I noticed the holding tank as fitted slopes slightly and therefore ‘drains’ right to left. However the hose connected to the ‘drain’ side was coming from the toilet pump, whereas I expected  it to connect to the seacock outlet. What is happening is that after pumping sludge is draining back and blocking the tank. 

So I checked the manual and it shows the ‘drain’ side should go to the seacock. It looks to me like when it was built the hoses where fitted the wrong way around. 

I’d suggest checking the manual diagram of the hose routing against what is fitted. 
Ian Stevenson
Wild View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2023 at 09:54
Maybe this can help you.

Wild and Wet
Belgium
545e#268
is46664 View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote is46664 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2023 at 14:38

Ian Stevenson
is46664 View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote is46664 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2023 at 14:48
PLEASE DISREGARD THIS POST. ALTHOUGH THE ROUTING IF THE HOSES IS NOT CONSISTENT WITH THE MANUAL THE HEADS DO NOT FLUSH PROPERLY IF REROUTED AS SHOWN 

In this diagram from the manual I have indicated the layout of the black tank hoses as shown in the manual with a YELLOW dashed line. I have shown the layout of how they were fitted at new by a solid BLUE line. The RED line illustrates the direction of slope of the tank.  It’s easy to see how if the hoses are not fitted correctly it will cause the tank to ‘drain’ towards the inlet. 

The other diagram in this thread is a different tank design (Wurth) - this had a vertical riser which would prevent sludge drainage back to the inlet. This kind of design is I think the far better design. 

Edited by is46664 - 13 April 2023 at 09:23
Ian Stevenson
Martin&Rene View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin&Rene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2023 at 15:57
I thought all holding tanks were designed with a riser as shown in the diagram of the Wurth holding tank, otherwise, when the joker valve leaked (as it will do at some time) then all the contents of the holding tank would discharge back into the toilet and overflow.  Not a pretty thought.  In the standard layout, when the joker valve leaks, only the contents  of the pipe come back to the toilet.

One simple test.  Pump water into the holding tank.  If the water enters at the bottom, then there will be little noise.  If it enters through a riser, then you may hear the water fall from the top of the riser pipe. 
Martin&Rene Hanse 341 Dipper Wheel steering, 3 cabin layout, normally based in Scotland
is46664 View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote is46664 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2023 at 18:14
At first I thought there was no riser but you are correct the tank has a riser

Edited by is46664 - 13 April 2023 at 09:19
Ian Stevenson
Martin&Rene View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin&Rene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2023 at 17:42
As you say, it certainly does not look like  the best design of tank.  Just looked at one of my catalogues and all their plastic holding tanks have a top inlet rather than using an internal riser pipe.

I do not know whether a procedure change may help the situation.  If the tank is full, I try to delay emptying it until we are in choppy water.  I pump the toilet at least 15 times, then open the seacock to empty the tank and keep on pumping the toilet until I think the tank is empty.  The aim is to stir up the contents of the tank as much as possible, so that there is minimal sludge left in the tank at the end.

On my boat, I also have a bottle of the toilet chemicals that the caravan owners use to liquify the waste in their cassettes.  

So far I have never needed to use it.  It could be something you could try using on a regular basis to stop the blocking.

Final point, are you sure everybody abides by the toilet rules.  I have very strong (smelly) memories of being in Turkey with the temperature over 40deg C and having to take the plumbing totally apart on a Halberg Rassy, because the owner's son had forgot to tell his girl-friend not to put sanitary products down the loo. 

Jon   I would send KNick a private message.
Martin&Rene Hanse 341 Dipper Wheel steering, 3 cabin layout, normally based in Scotland
Jonw View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2023 at 17:16
Thanks, this is all really useful.

For info, I've checked from outside the hull that there is no blockage, I setting an implement which went in easily.

And I've checked there's no vacuum (there is not)

So I think my next step is to remove and replace the pipe from the tank to the sea cock.

I'll also check which side this comes out from!

Thank you for all of your help

Jon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>