myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > General > Chit Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SimNet or NMEA2000 ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oddmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SimNet or NMEA2000 ?
    Posted: 07 February 2009 at 19:25
Does anyone know if the standard config from Hanse is Simnet or NMEA2000?
My 370 was delivered with IS20(Depth&temp) and AP24(autopilot). I have located two Multijoiners near the instrument panel and on mulitjoiner at rear of the boat to connect the AP24 and IS20. There are severel spare slot's in the multijoiners. If anyone allready figured out if Hanse Daisy-Chain for SIMNET-backbone or use NMEA2000 backbone then I would be interested to know. Im planning to mount a Raymarine C80 into the existing Simrad installs and from what I understand that can be done via Seatlalk2(NMEA2000) to a Simrad T-joiner but Im not sure if the T-joiner is really needed as this will depend on how the standard installation is done. I know I could use an AT10-device and connect via NMEA183 but would prefer NMEA2000
S/Y Havsula.
370#569
Johan Hackman View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2009 at 20:52
To my knowledge, SimNet is NMEA2000 with a few exceptions, among which are the cabling and the permission to daisy-chain. This means that Simrad have their own connectors and that the signal can be run through (in serial with) the instruments - with the obvious disadvantage that if one instrument fails, the back-bone is interupted.

My answer to your questions is that it is both SimNet and NMEA2000 and that it shouldn't be any problem adding NMEA2000 gear to your backbone. In theory, that is. I don't have any personal experience as of yet.

Johan
Peter Russell View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Russell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2009 at 20:54
As far as I can make out on my 370 with IS20 instruments these are daisy chained together.  This is what makes the standard Simnet cable non NMEA 2000 compatiable as NMEA 2000 is backbone (I think you have already figured that out).  Thus you need a 'T' piece or drop cable to connect other NMEA 2000 devices into Simnet.

I would guess the same is true for the Raymarine NMEA 2000 implementation hence the offering of a E series (and I guess C series) adaptor cable for Seatalk2 (and SeatalkNG???) to NMEA 2000.

As a pervious thread has already mentioned I was recommended to use an AT10 and go for the older protocol.  However I would be interested in yout experience if you do try the NMEA 2000 route!

I've found the following forum intersting Panbo

If you have not already found it the Simnet manual is at Pre IS20 Simnet
Peter Russell

Hanse 370 hull 499 "Outnumbered"

http://outnumbered.the-russells.net
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2009 at 21:06
Peter, it seems we wrote our replies at the same time. I also find Panbo very useful.

Johan
colincooper View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colincooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2009 at 21:48
Simnet and NMEA 2000 are the same thing.  So is LowranceNet and Seatalk2.  The major difference between them all is that they use different plugs to connect.  There are some other slight differences in cable size and maximum currents and distance etc - but this can be ignored unless you are adding a lot.

Simnet daisychains inside the instruments.  NMEA 2000 daisychains through seperate T-pieces.  The later is better but the former is simpler.  Simnet also has an equivilent to the T-peice with 3 connector in one bit of plastic.

If all you are going to do is add the plotter then get a Seatalk2 to NMEA cable (from Raymarine) and an NMEA to Simnet (from Simrad).  You have to ensure that one NMEA 2000 is male and the other female.  Connect them back-to-back.  Use the resulting lead to connect the plotter to a Simnet T-peice.    Alternatively, find a supplier that will make you up a Seatalk2 to Simrad cable.  Or make one up yourself.

If you are confortable wiring plugs you can get field installable (i.e unsealed) NMEA2000 connectors  and make this up yourself.  There are five colour coded wires to connect (same colors with each flavour) - or strictly four and a shield.  This is pretty easy.

I did this with a Lowrance plotter.  I tool a Lowrance lead, a Simrad lead, cut them both in two, and joined with two field installable NMEA2000.   Works fine.  If I want to add more I can now add a segment of NMEA cable in the Simrad daisy chain.  As long as you keep these short they will work fine.

If you talk to any of the official suppliers they will frown and mutter about incompatibility etc.  Ignore them .  They want to sell you their complete kit and don't want you mixing and matching.  Mix and match is what NMEA 2000 is all about.

Some links for this:

If you want to connect lots of things to the network use:

Finally, the AT-10 and NMEA 0183 route is possible - but you will loose a lot of data.  Stick to NMEA2000 unless you have to.

Colin (owner of Hilde - a 370)
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colincooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2009 at 21:59
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2009 at 22:56
Originally posted by colincooper colincooper wrote:

Simnet daisychains inside the instruments. 

I don't understand what you mean by that, Colin. Could you elaborate, please?

Johan
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colincooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2009 at 23:03
I mean you plug into two sockets on each instrument - rather than into two sockets on a T piece with a drop cable to the instrument.  Not a lot of difference. 

The arguement runs that you can't disconnect an instrument without taking down the whole network (doing it the Simnet way).  But on a small boat how often will that matter?  The advantage is that is simpler.

But the real reason for different connectors is to try to lock you into "all Simrad" or "all Raymarine".  But be bold - cut them off and put on what YOU want.

PS - On a Hanse boat the main "backbone" is Simnet.  Fine.  Use it.  But you can have short segments of any other cable type branching off it for short daisychains.  They can be NMEA2000, LowranceNet, Gamin whatever they call it, or Seatalk 2/NG.   The picture on Panbo shows the other way around NMEA 2000 backbone and Simnet branching off.  Either way around works.  Given an empty boat go for NMEA 2000 backbone.  On Hanse go with the Simnet you have fitted in all the ducts.

Edited by colincooper - 07 February 2009 at 23:13
Oddmund View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oddmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2009 at 15:10
Thanks Peter and Colin for your help so far. The Panbo.com site is a warvell and seems to be what Im looking for. From what I have figured out so far I can connect the RayC80 to the SimNet back bone by using a Seatalk2plug(goes into the C80-Seatalk2plug) and connect that to a regular SimNet cable that I plug into the existing (SimNet)-MultiJoiner. From what I understand these two cables can be connected together either by soldering or mounting to 5-pin cable plugs(1 male and one female of cource) in case. Does anyone think this conclusion is incorect?
S/Y Havsula.
370#569
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colincooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2009 at 15:14
Spot on.  Use NMEA 2000 field-installable plugs.
 Post Reply Post Reply