myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 430
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It broke

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alain & Anne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2010 at 23:12
Hi All
 The inside tube could be too long as it was for us I cut it 5cm and I bolted the two fittings as you can see on the two pictures.
 Worked since  perfectly for more than 12 000 NM

UHAMBO 430e#004
White hull-teck deck-Yanmar 55hp-long range cruising
OCC

Our blog: www.uhambo.fr

rtchina View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rtchina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 05:15
That's excellent but can you tell me the size of the threaded rod that you used. It seems to me it should be 15mm but I have been unable to find that as a stock size.
thanks
430e Ella Jane - Greece
Alain & Anne View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alain & Anne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 11:00
In fact the bolt passes through the existing tube which was cut  to fit excatly with the fitting's width. Thre are two washers and two bolts on each side.
The diameter is 14mm.

Alain
UHAMBO 430e#004
OCC

rtchina View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rtchina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 11:10
Very many thanks.
430e Ella Jane - Greece
landlocked View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote landlocked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 22:54
Originally posted by Hol2 Hol2 wrote:

Hi

I have tried in on a H470 but it is the same in Principe

The problem is if the vang is pressed together from tension on the mainsheet

( and the vang is fully compressed) it will bend the fitting like on the picture.

Move the vang 4-5 cm more backwards on the boom so it can go further down

You can ask your rigger or Dealer for help

Best Regards

Bo Hold

Marineparken.dk

Thanks for this solution to the puzzel Bo, this makes sense.  I know what to check for now to see if this can happen on my boat and will try some gentle experiments with the sail down.
"Kerkyra" 400e #042
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alain & Anne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 14:37
Yes!
But that would not save the end fittings from breaking when bent too much.
UHAMBO 430e#004
OCC

Hol2 View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hol2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2010 at 13:32
Dear Alain
Your mainsail is cut to ca 90 degres luff-foot
if you place the vang so it can go further down  ca 98 degres
You will not breake it more under sail, but take care when you
reef the sail , it can some times let the boom drop a little more.

Bo Hold

Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alain & Anne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2010 at 15:51
Dear Bo,

Not sure that will avoid the end fittings to breaking in torsion if the pin is too loose!
The second point is that by moving the vang you will change the compositions of the pressure on it and you are not sure that the internal tube won't get stuck in the end fitting. That's why I did cut the tube which is more les a guide for the spring in order to avoid it.
UHAMBO 430e#004
OCC

Tomix View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 23:12
The Same thing happened to me today with no obvious reason. I just tightened the main sheet and the boom Vang must have come to its upmost compression point. The fixture plate bend and the Vang broke off. Where can I get spare parts? Or should I look for a total replacement of The vang?

Edited by Tomix - 26 May 2018 at 23:14
rtchina View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rtchina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2018 at 06:40
I managed to get a replacement from the Hanse people in the UK. I have had no problems since then.
Roger
430e Ella Jane - Greece
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>