myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 311 / 312 / 315
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Battery Monitors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery Monitors
    Posted: 20 June 2010 at 20:44
Yesterday before leaving on a 7-week sailing vacation from Stavanger to Lofoten, I installed two Nasa BM-1 Battery Monitors, one for each battery. Knowing the charge level and drainage on the batteries is quite  fascinating.

I taped the full-size displays, at the port-side bookshelf, with 3M heavy duty double-sided foam tape.

Frode, Stavanger/Norway
Hanse 315 # 390
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2010 at 09:42
I do not know how many batteries you have - I have 2
I was told by the manufacturer that you only need a meter on the domestic battery as the engine start battery normally charges up striaght off the engine & as there is no draw down it does not need monitoring
However, my battery indicator shows a charge when everything is turned off. This suggests that the engine battery is balancing with the domestic battery. Not a good thing if the engine battery goes flat as a result!!
Have you noticed the same thing?
Also does anyone know how to stop it. I assume some sort of diode is needed but what sort & where would it go?
I have also noticed that negative  link cable between the battery monitor & the shunt is smaller than the main negative wires . Does this matter? or will it overheat ?
What have you found ?
Re the installation - I cut a hole in the aft division inside the electric panel to get access & mounted the monitor & a NASA weatherman to the left of the electric cover in the face panel alonside the navigator seat. I then put a cover plate over the panel hole to stop things dropping through
Daydream Believer
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
Bob & Coral View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob & Coral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2010 at 11:56

Hi Guy's

My wife and I own a 2007 model 315 so these comments reflect that model, however I do believe there are no substantial differences in the electrical system of the these boats.

My boat from new had two 85 A/hr lead acid batteries under the port bench. They are not designated engine or house but can be used in either capacity. There is a mains charger that has a dual output, effectively charging each battery when the 1 or 2 or both switch is not in the “both” position.

Samuel, to answer your question providing there are no faults on the meters the only way it can show  discharge is if the battery is connected to a load, that load can be another battery. (Batteries do self discharge but that will not show up on your meter)  

So make sure the 1 or 2 or both switch is not in the "both" position. My advice to all users with this configuration is not to use the "both" position unless you are charging from the engine. There are no diodes or relays in the standard configuration.

After a battery failure last year I fitted a dedicated engine start battery under the stern cabin bed adjacent to the fuel tank. This was connected electrically via a charge relay and is simple to fit, if anyone is interested I can post electrical drawings and some photos.

The battery I used is an aircraft quality AGM that can operate in any orientation; these batteries do not gas externally. This battery has its one dedicated float charger when connected to the mains electricity supply.

The charge relay only operates when the engine start battery is fully charged, and then diverts the alternator charge to both house batteries when the 1 or 2 or “both” switch is in the both position.  I leave the switch in the both position permanently except when connected to the mains.

In terms of the shunt cables, the shunt is a coil wrapped around the main cable and measures the current going in either direction. The current the meter reads is effectively tiny in comparison to the current in the main cable, think of it as a transformer. So small cables are fine. The shunt it’s self should have the multiplier written on it somewhere normally shown as 1000:1 or something similar. So if the main cable is drawing 1000 amps the shunt cable will draw 1 amp.

Hope this helps, any questions please get back to me.

Bob

Bob
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 08:13
Bob
3 points
I) it shows a charge  not a discharge
2) My on off switches are 2 seperate ones not a combined one
3) The small cable ( 6mm ) is between the shunt & the battery. Out the other side of the shunt goes the end of the wire that was  once connected to the battery ( 10 mm). So now the shunt is in the line but on one side  is a smaller wire than on the other. If it needed a 10mm wire originally is there any disadvantage putting a 6 mm one in the circuit
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 08:22
Bob
sorry I pressed the wrong button too soon
I was going to add -
Good idea re the start battery. Is it very heavy & what is the amp hour. Presumably it does not need to be very big just to start the engine.
It would be interesting to see how you rig the circuit
you seem to suggest that you have 2 shore power chargers is that correct
Bob & Coral View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob & Coral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2010 at 20:39

Hi Samuel

To answer your questions in turn

1.      It shows a charge not a discharge

A    This could be caused by the second battery charging the first; however, from the description of your circuit that seems unlikely.  It could be the unit needs calibration or the shunt is connected back to front!  Can you confirm that the unit shows a discharge when a load is connected?

2.      My on/off switches are 2 separate ones not a combined one

A     This will work in exactly the same way as my 1 or 2 or both switch

3.      The small cable (6mm) is between the shunt & battery.  Out the other side of the shunt goes the end of the wire that was once connected to the battery (10mm).  So now the shunt is in the line but on one side is a smaller wire than on the other.  If it needed a 10mm wire originally is there any disadvantage putting a 6mm one in the circuit.

A    For domestic use this is fine, you only need to go to larger cable     for heavy use of equipment for example, engine start or bow thrusters.

4.      Good idea re the start battery.  Is it very heavy & what is the amp hour.  Presumably it does not need to be big just to start the engine.

A     I have fitted a 65AHr but with hindsight should have used a 40AHr; I will draw the circuit and show some pictures.  I do have a twin output charger fitted to run the existing batteries and a new single charger for the engine start. The Aircraft AGM batteries are lighter than traditional lead acid but not by much

We are based in the SE of England, if you are nearby I will be happy to look at it for you.

Bob

Bob
cptgood View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cptgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2018 at 10:52
I guess the installation of a Nasa BM1 battery monitor won't disturb the led status battery voltage  reading on the Hanse electrical panel,... is that right?
Hanse320 - Hull#127/08 - Wheel - ST headsail - Yanmar 3YM30 - SD20
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2018 at 12:03
You are right, it does not disturb the digital or LED display at the Panel. However the batt Monitor gives you a voltage with a significant better precision. My Display at the Würth Panel showed always 14.8 V during charging which was in reality 14.2. - 14.4 V in line with the AGM Victron recommendations.

I have the Philippi BCM monitor which give me service batt charge and cycle info, as well as voltage for starter and bow thruster battery.
Frank
Joey D View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joey D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2018 at 22:34
I am hoping someone can help me to get my Service Batteries to readout on my DC panel?
 The panel is showing the following

Battery Service
-----------------  0.0V

I apologize as this is my first post, not sure if doing it right??
thanks all for help
2014 Hanse 415
Joe
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2018 at 09:02
Hello Joey,
there are two reasons for not showing the service bank voltage:

a) the connection from the service Bank + to the Würth panel is missing ( check both ends, on the Würth panel it is on the left back side, it should be the 4th connector from the left )
b) the display for the service batt is not activated in the Würth panel software ( check you Würth manual, how to set it up )

If you need a wiring scheme please PM me, I can not attach a ppt slide to my post

Rgds
Frank
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>