myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 370 / 375
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rig tension

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2018 at 17:46
Originally posted by silversailor silversailor wrote:

It's been a couple of years since we had the above discussion so I thought it would be interesting to see what we have learned, what tuning we are using and what kind of results we are getting.  I've been using MP's tuning guide but still are not able to tack within 90 degrees. I planned on lengthening the forestay about 0.25" but haven't done so yet.  Your thoughts? Look forward to all thoughts. Thanks.

We got noticeably better point when we lenghtened the forestay a number of years ago per the North guide.

Steve
Steve

Hanse 400e, #168
silversailor View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silversailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2018 at 19:21
Steve, I'm not sure that I understand the North instructions. Is the initial measurement taken using a halyard that exists the top of the mast or either the spin or genoa halyard both of which run through "eyes" on the mast?
Thanks,
Alan
Silversailor
South Haven, MI USA
S/V Legacy
2010 Andrews 28
mopoulter View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mopoulter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2018 at 20:20
I am still using same tension and tacking through 90 degrees. I am perplexed as to why you do not have the same results? I also load up backstays to get lots of bend in mast. I know it helps with better main sail shape unsure what it does for pointing ability, but it may.  I have also started over sheeting the main (traveller up) so boom is above mid-line. This helps pointing and creates  a nicer slot for genoa.
I don't know enough to comment on lengthening forestay.
We are doing O.K. this year 2 and 3rd over the weekend and we won best overall in the Lake Huron International this year.
Of course I also have brand new genoa and 1300 sq foot (130 sq meters) asym, which kinda helps Big smile

mp

Hanse 370 #416

"Anxiolytic"
H8jer View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H8jer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2018 at 20:58
Originally posted by mopoulter mopoulter wrote:

tacking through 90 degrees.

Just to be sure nobody is misunderstanding each other.

What is your definition of "tacking through 90º"?

My Hanse370 has st North Main and self-tacker(+folding prop).
I can hold Apparent Wind Angle (AWA) 25º.
But this depends on the windstrength. 25º eats boatspeed, whereas AWA 30º gives higher boatspeed.
In the picture below is from our Zeus3 plotter, showing us tacking AWA 25º in zero tide(no current influx).
Normally I would not tack 25º but because of it blowing 9,5 meter/second(18.5 Knots / beaufort 5) I trade speed for height. 
So "Tacking through 90º" is not exact. Is it apparent/over-ground/true wind angle?

Edited by H8jer - 13 August 2018 at 21:06
Hanse 370#487 30HP 3-cabin
mopoulter View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mopoulter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2018 at 21:06
Over ground I tack through 60 AWA. 30 AWA port to 30 AWA stbrd
but the true angle is 90
mp

Hanse 370 #416

"Anxiolytic"
mopoulter View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mopoulter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2018 at 21:17
I would also guess at 25 AWA you would be stalling the winward tell tales and dumping speed so your velocity made good (VMG) would suffer.
mp

Hanse 370 #416

"Anxiolytic"
Rubato View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2018 at 17:28

Steve, I'm not sure that I understand the North instructions. Is the initial measurement taken using a halyard that exists the top of the mast or either the spin or genoa halyard both of which run through "eyes" on the mast?
Thanks,
Alan

The instructions (for the 400) reference the "center" halyard which means the jib halyard that exits just below the forestay attachment.

Steve

Edited by Rubato - 14 August 2018 at 17:29
Steve

Hanse 400e, #168
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silversailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2018 at 22:07
Originally posted by Rubato Rubato wrote:

Thanks,
Alan

The instructions (for the 400) reference the "center" halyard which means the jib halyard that exits just below the forestay attachment.

Steve

I'll try that.  The 370 instructions are not clear and I cannot find a direct online link. Perhaps they have been removed.
Silversailor
South Haven, MI USA
S/V Legacy
2010 Andrews 28
Rubato View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2018 at 18:02

Originally posted by Rubato Rubato wrote:

Thanks,
Alan

Steve

I'll try that.  The 370 instructions are not clear and I cannot find a direct online link. Perhaps they have been removed.

http://www.wesailhanse.se/370_documents/370_documents_northsails/northsails%20-%20MastSetup370.pdf
Steve

Hanse 400e, #168
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silversailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2018 at 20:44
Steve, the North instructions show a picture of the center halyard measured against a black band on the mast.  My mast does not have a black band.  Where is yours located? Would you measure up from the base of the mast to the top of the black band? Thanks.
Silversailor
South Haven, MI USA
S/V Legacy
2010 Andrews 28
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>