myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 320
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Floor boards and bilgewater

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 17:52
Things are not quite as they seem!

John

Edited by JohnA - 04 November 2019 at 22:42
Hanse 320 #464 'Discovery'
Janni View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 20:27
In our H320, the bottom section looks a bit different, we have got the seacock for the heads supply in that area.
Janni

Hanse 320 #548 "SCHNEGGE"
JohnA View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 22:59
Interesting! I presume that you have to lift the floor board each time you wish to operate the sea cock? On this basis I suspect that you leave the valve open all the time?

Our sea cock for the heads inlet water supply is situated in the heads cupboard below the vanity basin. This means that it is easy to open and close at will.

John
CharlesP View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 00:18
Thanks for all that useful info John. I thought the bilge pump should be in the lowest part of the bilge. Where would this be and can you access it.

Our seacock for the heads water supply is inside the galley sink unit cupboard. So that's three different seacock positions during the final year of 320 production. I wonder why?

I assume an access hatch will be provided for you Janni.

Charles
'MERIDIAN LADY'

320 Nr 536 2010

Medway
Janni View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 06:12
Originally posted by JohnA JohnA wrote:

Interesting! I presume that you have to lift the floor board each time you wish to operate the sea cock? On this basis I suspect that you leave the valve open all the time? Our sea cock for the heads inlet water supply is situated in the heads cupboard below the vanity basin. This means that it is easy to open and close at will.John

No. The setup seems to come from the H325 design. The yard has cut an opening into the floorplate, similar to the ones for the inspection of the bilge.
Like that we can operate the sea cock in a good way; we even do not have to go into a cupboard, where you usually have something obstructing the access.
In the heads we still have two other seavalves in the cupboard, for the drain of the shower and the drain of the basin.
Janni

Edited by Janni - 11 May 2011 at 06:13
Hanse 320 #548 "SCHNEGGE"
CharlesP View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 09:12
I think you have a good improved setup Janni. Our shower drain combines with the basin drain so there is a non-return valve installed, which makes the basin water very, very slow to drain.

Charles
'MERIDIAN LADY'

320 Nr 536 2010

Medway
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 14:00
John A
I note the pic you have sent & it differs from mine in that my wire connections to the pump are right next to the pump. If water goes above the pump the whole lot can short out, leaving me with no electric pump - or any other  electrics for that matter

Daydream Believer
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
JohnA View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 23:49
Originally posted by CharlesP CharlesP wrote:

Thanks for all that useful info John. I thought the bilge pump should be in the lowest part of the bilge. Where would this be and can you access it.
Charles

Hi Charles,

The lowest part of the bilge is most likely below the floor of the compartment where the electric pump is situated. However there is no access to it as far as I can see.

Please see my next posting relating to my pumping out efforts today.

John

Edited by JohnA - 11 May 2011 at 23:49
JohnA View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 00:08
Originally posted by JohnA JohnA wrote:

Things are not quite as they seem!  ......................

I'll let you know how much I pumped out, over the next few days.

It would be nice to be able to see a plan of the construction of the hull sole to be able to see how drainage from the compartments is carried out. I am left with the thought that the disposal of bilge water is very poorly dealt with!

John

Edited by JohnA - 04 November 2019 at 22:40
CharlesP View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 12:22
Well done John. What you have discovered will be useful to many of us. Hard to believe that so much water can be hidden away without our knowledge. Surely one would have expected to be able to see it on lifting hatches!

One other matter occurs to me. Suppose there was a gas leak. How would it be cleared? I expect it would migrate to the hidden space like your water, so normal methods would not clear it. Also, how effective is a gas detector unless it can be sited where the gas goes.

Charles
'MERIDIAN LADY'

320 Nr 536 2010

Medway
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>