myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 345/348
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Hanse 345

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2012 at 05:52
I second Jakob. Being more or less in the latter group in his description I proudly own one of those 'older' Hanses having all those options; main sheet traveller in the cockpit, additional winches, lots of space for gear, etc. Those are the things I wouldn't ever give away as a trade off. That's why I can't see myself to upgrade to any of the existing new Hanses. So if not any of the past Hanse models, it has to be from a different brand.

Markku
S/Y Flow
Hanse 371
Yeoman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yeoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2012 at 10:00
Hi Markku,

I am sure guys know that it is no problem to order any of the new range with all of the sail tweaking equipment.  Extra winches, genoa tracks, mainsheet travellers etc.

They are now just not standard and a lower standard price to reflect this.  The main reason being so people who do not want them do not feel like they have paid for them unnecessarily.

Kind regards

Phil
Johan Hackman View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2012 at 15:14
I am amused by the dilemma that Yeoman is facing when writing in this forum.

There is a Swedish children's TV program called "Five Ants Is More Than Four Elephants". The title is supposed to teach children that no matter the size of the animal, five is greater than four. Now, it is equally true to say that "Four Elephants is less Than Five Ants", wouldn't you agree?

The same goes for new products, such as a new boat model. By saying that the new model is "improved, better, faster, points higher etc" you say that the previous model is "not as good, slower, points lower etc". While the former is good news for the sales man and potential buyers, the latter is not what existing owners want to hear.

If you wait a few years you will find that boats have been improved so that they can sail straight into the wind. I mean, each model points a few degrees higher than the previous one if you should believe what they say.

Or you go back a few years and look at this thread from 2004 when the 342 was introduced to be an improved 341. I for one think it is fun to read the comments.

My personal view is still that the 342 is the best of them all but hey, that is just me.

Johan

Edited by Johan Hackman - 24 November 2012 at 15:49
Jakob Pinade View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jakob Pinade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2012 at 17:03
Yeoman: If you say that a main sheet traveler is available, then sorry for all the grumpy complaining. However, I have seen three price lists for the 345, and it isn't listed in any of those. Here are two of them:

www.hanseyachts.hr/brochures/hanse-345-pricelist.pdf
www.bryggan.net/pdf/prishanse345.pdf

The cradle solution for the secondary winches isn't a major issue for me. But it is rather unsightly, and it makes it seem like their emphasis has shifted somewhat.

Personally I think the 345 looks like the best of all the Hanse boats around 34' so far. Not necessarily the pretties, but the best. More weight in the keel, nicer interior, huge pantry, separate shower behind the toilet (not in front as is annoyingly common) which makes it easy to use as a wet locker (perhaps with a few modifications), more hatches/windows. I don't believe the photos lie too much either, since all the preliminary reports about the interior are very positive so far.

I even think the exterior is nice, at least in the photos. And I can live with a main sheet point on the coach roof as well, as long as it is a line controlled traveler. Even X-Yachts use this solution in their cruising range. If they think it is good enough, then I am not going to argue. After all X-Yachts have been the hallmark for performance ever since they arrived on the scene. The twin wheels seems to me like a reasonable trade off. It does make sense in a wide cockpit. And I always sit on the side benches, so for me it is even preferable.

Almost all the solutions I can't do anything about myself seems upgraded. Except for the cradle solution which is only acceptable. But I will have to upgrade the pin stop genoa tracks into line controlled ones, and find a way of bringing those lines back to the cockpit. And I might have to find a main sheet traveler solution. Depending upon if it is Yeoman or the price lists that are correct about this. Of course not everybody want to do this kind of work, so a lack of availability will always leave out some costumers.

Complaining about the self tacker is not something I am going to do. If there is one thing that symbolizes Hanse it must be the self tacker. But a full genoa upgrade as described above would be a massive bonus for me. It used to be available though, so that is another hint of a shift in emphasis from Hanse.

By the way, I think it is a great strength of this forum to have someone representing Hanse on this forum. So thank you to Yeoman for being active here.
Yeoman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yeoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2012 at 09:34
Hi Jakob,

I wish I had more time to spend enjoying the forum.

The mainsheet traveller option is something that we offer as the dealer rather than from Hanse during build.  An overlapping genoa has never been a factory option (in my 7 years here) but again we have delivered a number larger genoas to compliment the jib.

Both a cockpit traveller and a coachroof traveller are available options.  As you say I think the coachroof option is the right choice as you do not need to start getting rid of the cockpit table.

As a dealer we believe we have to offer a high level of customisation to our owners to ensure that their new Hanse is as close to exactly what they would like as possible.

I believe this approach has a lot to do with the success of Hanse in the UK and we really enjoy building each Hanse to really suit each owner.

The upgraded Elvstrom FCL sails are beautiful and really cope with stronger winds well.  My wife and I sailed the 345 in 20 knots true with full sail and it sailed fast and upright (happy wife).

We actually sailed faster and higher than an Arcona 400 which i really enjoyed too!

Kind regards

Phil
Swanji View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swanji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2012 at 09:42
Hi Phil

Great response to what has been a worthwhile discussion.

I am very happy to hear that you folks are happy to customize the boats even if Hanse themselves don't.

Onwards and upwards

Nidri, Levkada, Ionian, Greece

Hanse 350 #7, SY Evolution, standard keel, 3YM20 sail drive, 3 cabins, cherry wood interior, teak decks, feathering prop
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2012 at 09:47
Originally posted by Yeoman Yeoman wrote:

My wife and I sailed the 345 in 20 knots true with full sail and it sailed fast and upright (happy wife).

For a statement like that to have any bearing you must tell on what point of sail you were on. Sailing downwind with full sails will give you upright sailing and no need to reef even at 25 to 30 knots, while beating would be a different matter.

Sorry for educating you, Phil.

Johan
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2012 at 09:53
Not that I don't recognize sales talk when I see it. "Happy wife", haha. That will sell a few Hanses, will it not?

I am among the people who enjoy you presence here so don't take me wrong. I am just pulling your leg.

Johan
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2012 at 10:01
This is how upright my 342 sails upwind in 20 knots of true wind with two reefs in the main.

Johan

Yeoman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yeoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2012 at 11:41
Good Point Johan,

That was upwind but then the 345 has the same sail area as your 342 but it is 1 ton heavier and half of that is in the keel so it should be stiffer.  The performance sails also make the boat sail flatter too.

I would imagine that in light winds it would be a close race as yours is more powerful but the 345 has a longer waterline.

Kind regards

Phil
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>