myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 385/388
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Snags to be expected?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2013 at 20:14
The two hoses run through part of the "skeleton".
This skeleton, however, is not directly fixed to the hull at some places.
Below this part is an area of 5-10cm open air, until the hull.
In here, the diesel accumulated, where we were finally able to take out the 17 liters of diesel.
The main issue is: how to get to this area to fully get rid of the diesel and finally get the smell out of the cabin? Anyone with experience or suggestions?
H385 #208 "Van Bree" - light grey hull
MisterM View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2013 at 20:17
The mechanic added a flexible glue/seal as a temporary solution (the blue glue/kit), it could be a permanent one, but I want to know what Hanse did to correct this issue.
panos View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2013 at 20:20
Hi,
Most probably they tried to be innovative by inserting the nuts inside the plastic. Obviously it doesn't work.

I have a suggestion on how to correct it without removing the tank, although it is clearly Hanses responsibility.
1) you cut away the plastic parts inside the tank which hold the nuts and you remain with a tank with holes around the manhole.
2) you manufacture a stainless steel ring exactly matching the manhole coverplate outside diameter and the inner diameter of the ring to be equal to the manhole diameter of the tank. The ring to be at least 10mm thick.
3) you drill holes around the ring corresponding to the holes around the manhole cover and tap them to the correct screw.
4) you cut the ring in two pieces so it can fit in the tank.
5) using some very long screws to an able you to hold the inner half rings in place you "sandwich" the wavy tank wall between the (cut) stainless steel ring and the manhole cover (not forgetting the seal.

Of course by "you" I mean the technician you choose and trust, who will be paid by the dealer.
I would prefer this old fashioned method to a new tank that could develop the same problems in time.
I would not accept other solutions like epoxy paste or "mashining" the tank wall.

The smell will go away fast if you wash the bilge with detergent and hot water. We had similar problem when about 100lt of diesel ended in the bilge because the tank breather pipe was loose.

It is a pitty that this happened during your first vacations. All boat owners face similar problems at some point but this to happen during the first trip is discouraging.

Edited by panos - 28 April 2013 at 20:23
Panos

Hanse 630e - selling her -
MisterM View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2013 at 20:26
Thank you, Panos, that sounds like a sturdy solution indeed. I am curious to know from Phil what they did in the UK on this issue.
I envy the British for having such a great Hanse-dealer!
Sorry to hear on your 100 ltrs diesel break-loose in the bilge! Indeed hot water and detergent sounds like the most viable solution.

Machiel.
panos View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2013 at 20:35
Thanks, and don't get discouraged:
The Hanses are great boats and if it is of some comfort : unfortunately all new boats of any make (even the most famous ones) have similar horror stories to tell.
Panos

Hanse 630e - selling her -
MisterM View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2013 at 20:58
Thank you Panos,

I agree that Hanses are indeed great boats.
Even though a lot on this forum state the the epoxy-series are the best ones made, I already can tell that the 385 is a great boat to sail, very lively, responsive, very fast and handles the waves very well.
Given the number of issues discussed on the Hanse forum, at some point I considered in buying an Island Packet..... A boat with a great legacy in build quality and having no issues at all. But, the test sail was not convincing in sailing qualities and sail handling, so it was back to the concept of Hanse and competitors. And indeed many fora showed similar issues with Beneteau, Jeanneau, etc. Bavaria seem to do a good job at preventing these type of issues. And of course the Swedish yards, but at prices that are ridiculous in my view.
The strange thing is that the 385 really feels a step or two higher up on the quality ladder compared to the 320, but that still these annoying snags can turn up which should be so easily prevented!

Machiel.
MisterM View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2013 at 20:59
And for all, I have to add that now owning this equipment feels like something that I should have had this already 10 years ago LOL

pela
Triple C View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triple C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2013 at 14:09
Machiel- Our leak was from small panel to the left of your leak. Boat has been on hard and will replace gasket after using engine to burn down fuel level
triple c
Hanse 385 #114
MisterM View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2013 at 19:43
Hi Triple C, do you mean the small panel with the electric wire attached to it? That is the tank volume reader, if I am correct. Will that one be replaced, or also the large metal gasket? And with what will that be replaced exactly?

Machiel.
Triple C View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triple C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2013 at 21:09
Will get back to you on repair. Boat launched today. Want to get opinion from yard technician.
Mike
Hanse 385 #114
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>