myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 355
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Water gauge not working

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water gauge not working
    Posted: 04 November 2013 at 07:34
Hi guys, apologies for all the enquiries. Little Honey has been very well behaved apart from this issue.

We've got the Philippi instrument panel TCM 1 & 2 model with Water and Diesel as well as Start and Service batteries on the display.
They all work well, except for the water display.
It's supposed to be 235L when full, but no matter how much water we use the level doesn't go down at all.
I checked the sensor connection, and even removed the sensor from the tank and cleaned it, but no improvement.

The diesel tank monitor is working and seems quite accurate.

Does anyone have any ideas?

cheers

Connan
2011 Hanse 355 #67
"Little Honey"Ouch

Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2013 at 09:13
Hi Connan,  I got the same issue with the water tank level sensor. I have the new (cheapo) Würth panel.
The digital display reads 100% for ever and then drops straight to 25%, which triggers off the alarm. The sensor is the cheapest one you can fit, it is essentially 3 mtal rods with different lengths, feeding a resistance value into the panle display.

I am thinking to fit a WEMA sensor next year.
Frank
Brufan View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brufan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2013 at 10:46
Philippi only provides display.  Gauges comes from another provider.
I had problems with the water gauge.  It needs regular cleaning and it is absolutely not accurate.
It cannot be accurate since it has only 3 or 4 levels.

I also had my display changed since fuel gaugewas stuck to 100%.  It is now better but not so accurate.
Bruno

hanse 355 - 57

S/Y Spicy Ginger

White hull, 2 cabins, Volvo D1-30, Selden rig, removable mainsheet track system, Simrad (now B&G)-Jefa autopilot.
Wild View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2013 at 14:15
Connan
If I am right the water- and fuel sensors are original from BARKSDALE or WEMA (40$)but you can order then by PHILIPPI part nr   Water TGW ..... ( the tank dept you need) fuel TGT... ( the tank dept ) in combination with PHILIPPI TCM 1 display..
The TCM 2 display is working with 1 flowsensor and 2 TW ..... and is not installed by Hanse.
To check the sensors are working right, you take then out with the elect connetions on place and move the black plastic
ring up and down, every movement of 16 MM will give you and different % on the display if they are working right.You can also check the resistance range, she as to be between 5 and 180 Ohm when you move the black ring from bottom to top.

Edited by Wild - 04 November 2013 at 14:25
Wild and Wet
Belgium
545e#268
Mark&Catherine View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark&Catherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2013 at 14:56
this is interesting, as my diesel sensor doesn't work.  Il ltry too.  Is there a way of calibrating the new panel, or is it usually the sensor that doesn't work
385 ubulukutu sail number GBR 3350L in Turkey and Greece with Mark and Catherine
Connan View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2013 at 02:29
Thanks guys, it's a bit of a mystery.
Frank, mine is the same - it has four stainless steel rods of different lengths, but I can't find the reference online at Barksdale or Wema for what model it is.
I'm more than happy to replace it with something better, but I just want to be sure it's not some kind of electrical fault on the way to the sensor.

Before I replace the sensor outright does anyone know how you'd test this one?

We're keen to go away for a week or two in December and the water level would be really handy to keep an eye on.

cheers

Connan
Wild View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2013 at 09:34
Franck
Sorry for you that Hanse change the sensors brand.
To test your sensor in combination with Philippi TCM 1 display you have to measure the resitance ,he should change every time the next rode make contact with the water .
I 'm almost certain you can change your sensor with the one we have from PHILIPPI type TGW.... (org brand WEMA I think) if you have the PHILIPPI TCM 1 display .

Edited by Wild - 05 November 2013 at 09:38
Wild and Wet
Belgium
545e#268
Wild View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2013 at 10:00
Marc,
The PHILIPPI TCM in combination with the TGW sensor dont need calibration if your fueltank is rectangular.
You just need the correct lengte of the sensor in combination with the depht of the fueltank.
In case of a non rectangular tank you can do a calibration.
Wild and Wet
Belgium
545e#268
CharlesP View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2013 at 11:14
We have the four rod sensor in our water tank. It was changed once under warranty, but the new sensor has the same faulty reading under certain conditions. When the tank is full, the sensor operates correctly and displays full with all five divisions on the gauge illuminated. When water is used, the sensor continues to work correctly provided the tank water is "calm". However, if the water becomes agitated such as when at sea and even though it later becomes calm in the marina, the full indication is illuminated. This seems to be because water droplets become trapped by the rods at the top and so the resistance is false on the short rod. As the water level drops further, my gauge illuminates say three divisions as well as the fifth full division so it then becomes obvious to me that we have used two divisions of water, because the fourth division is not illuminated. I can live with this.

I wonder whether on some gauges the incorrect reading from the short rod overrides the reading from other rods. Fortunately, on my gauge it appears that each rod is linked to a different illuminated division so that the falsely illuminated full division can be ignored when the next division down is not illuminated.

Charles
'MERIDIAN LADY'

320 Nr 536 2010

Medway
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2013 at 13:34

I checked the specs for the different sensors:

a) The European system sensors give a signal 0 - 190 Ohm ( this is what I assume has been installed by Hanse  0 Ohm = empty / 190 Ohm = full

b) The US system sensors give a signal 240 - 30 Ohm, just the other way around:
240 Ohm = empty / 30 Ohm= full

c) The Ultrasonic sensors ( Philippi, Germany ) give a signal 4 - 20 mA.

Can anybody confirm that the 3 rod sensor is of type A? 
In this case a replacement by a Phillip tpye TGW sensor or a Wema S5 / S3 should be straightforward.

Frank
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>