myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 385/388
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC Polarity Reversed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adelsam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC Polarity Reversed
    Posted: 23 April 2015 at 15:57
I have a Hanse 385 in the US, and it's wired for 120 VAC.  Recently, I went around to each plug with a standard circuit tester, and the circuit tester is telling me that all the plugs in my boat are "Hot/Neutral polarity reversed"  The "Reverse Polarity" lamp on the AC panel is green, so no issue there.  I'm guessing that somewhere downstream of the panel the wires were crossed, but it seems strange that it is backwards on every one.  Is there some EU/US standard conflict where the wiring is done differently?  Has anyone else seen this issue?  Should I re-wire all the plugs in the boat to swap the Hot and Neutral?
Sea-U View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sea-U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2015 at 16:17
Not sure how it is in Germany, but here in Norway we normally never care about Live/Neutral. That might be the cause.
Sea-U is a 370e #532 located SW Norway
Niels View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2015 at 16:04
Normally the cables are colour coded indicating the Hot/Live read or brown Newtral blue changing at all the sockets is long winded and is spelling disaster as the colouring of the cables will be wrong and can be dangerous best to change at the main panel however what should be checked first is polarity at the "tapping" point as they could be switched not likely bot possible however check the extension cable from the switch to the boat , but normally a lamp is fitted on the main panel indicating Reverce polarity if glowing if it is not I would consult a Marine electrician before "diving in" yourself
Niels
nigelt View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nigelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2015 at 20:49
Presently going through electrics on 380 in the UK and found two sockets with live/neutral reverse and one socket OK.
Does not matter in mainland Europe: the standard 2-pin plug can be reversed - can be plugged in any way. In UK the plugs are polarised and we are using adapters in European sockets on the boat, to allow us to use the UK 3-pin plug. To make sure it was correct we started at the shore socket and worked down through the system checking polarity all the way.
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2015 at 13:09
 I would get pos & neg wiring switched round to match the UK standard
Provided the wiring in the boat is all to the same system then all one needs is a 3 pin polarity checker on the shore cable reel
If it shows neg pos reversed then  have a shore socket, with the wires crossed, & a plug on 300mm of cable. If I need to I just place this into the shore power first & the whole lot is swopped over
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
 Post Reply Post Reply