myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints and Tips > 371
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WARNING! Rudder manufacturing fault?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stig Nilsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WARNING! Rudder manufacturing fault?
    Posted: 14 July 2006 at 12:36

My HANSE 371, model 2005, bought new last year. In open sea, in the start of our holiday i july 2006, we suddenly lost the steering.The wind was 12-14 m/s. The wawes was about 3 metres high. We had too get assistance to tow the boat to the harbour (3 hours). The glassfiber on the rudder was fallen off. Just the frame in aluminium was left!!! Luckely we saved our lives!

The rudder had no damages and the boat no run aground before this accident. We mean this is a manufacturing fault. Anybody out there experienced this has happened???

Stig Nilsson

Stig Nilsson,owner
371-#235 View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 371-#235 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2006 at 20:55

Stig,

Glad to hear that it was a safe outcome. My 371 is a 2004 model and I have not noticed any problems with the rudder. I am most interested to hear what Hanse's response is and how helpful they are. Please keep us informed.

Bob, 371-#235

Brightside View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brightside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2006 at 11:37
Hi Stig.
This must have been a very worrying sitution. I trust no body was injuried?

Can you post some photos.

Regards
Mike
Stig Nilsson View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stig Nilsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2006 at 00:17

WARNING! Rudder manufacturing fault?

Here You can see picture of the rudder, totally destroyed! Unbelievable!

What do You think?

Stig Nilsson

Stig Nilsson,owner
Brightside View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brightside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2006 at 11:41
Hi Stig.
Thanks for the photo.

Before rumour and speculation overtake this posting can I ask Hanse to post their response, if only a holding statement?

I am sure there are many 371 owners that want this subject cleared up ASAP.

Regards
Mike
Karma View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2006 at 14:59
Stig,

I would like to know the prodiction Number of your boat. I also got my Hanse in 2005, 371#282. Have not had the problem until now, but I did not sail in 3 metres waves. But of course I am worried, whether the rudder will be save: If it has been produced at the same time, it could have the same production fault.

Regards
Jürgen
Clivian View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clivian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2006 at 00:19

Stig and Karma

I must admit it does start alarm bells ringing, our boat is also a 2005 ( I believe one of the last to be built) and will be 12 months old beginning of August - off the top of my head I cannot recall the production number.

BUT - I am inclined to agree with Mike from Brightside let us see what HANSE have to say about this situation.

Stig I am glad that you and your crew are safe and well - if not rather shell shocked.

Sue

Stig Nilsson View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stig Nilsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2006 at 09:07

Nelson Marine in Oslo and Hanse has not yet taken any statement concern fault on the rudder.  They produce a new rudder and the boat is promised clear in about 14 days after the damage.

I have not been offered another boat for these days.

The boat rudder had none visible damages before this accident.  Hanse have told me that the rudder is made in two pieces so if the boat goes on ground will the lower piece fall of. 

More pictures and info is comming later.

More pictures and the rudder has been sent by Nelson Marine to Hanse for inspection.  I'm eager to get the response.

My build number is 278.

Stig

Edited by Stig Nilsson - 17 July 2006 at 09:24
Stig Nilsson,owner
Karma View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2006 at 10:31
Stig,

Thank you for your quick answer.
I just wrote to Hanse, whether they can assure me, that my rudder will not have the same fault.
Do you have an independent surveyor involved, or do you rely on the statements of Hanse?
I think you have had much luck, that nothing worse happened, after the rudder broke away!

Jürgen
<DoZ> View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote <DoZ> Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2006 at 12:19

Dear all

The factory are aware of this situation and have confirmed that they are looking the cause.

We will come back to you as soon as we have any further information on the subject.

Dominic
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic